1.    #1  
    i'm a t-mo nyc user who just did the gprs upgrade and who now is about to sign-up for a gprs data plan. t-mo offers 2 MBS for $10 and 10 MBs for $20.

a few questions i could use some help with:

- what is the average size of sending/receiving an email? (i.e. 30K?)

- what is the average size of loading a web page?

- for people that are already using gprs, how much data do you find yourself using each month on the average?

i realize the answer to this last question may may vary heavily among users, but i'm trying to get a ballpark number of how much data i actually NEED each month. incidentally, i envision myself using gprs much more for always-on email (90%) vs web surfing (10%).

thanks.
    First of all, T Mobile sucks big time, because they didn't warn their Treo customers of a minimum of 10MB/month usage requirement.

You need to subscribe to the 10MB plan in order to even use GPRS!!!!! I wanted to try out the 2MB plan just to see how fast the connection is. T Mobile reps said nothing, even when I told them I had the Treo 270. Talk about morons!

10MB/Month/$19.95 = Rip off.

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    They're not warning customers of that because that requirement is non-existent. You're spreading misinformation. If you go directly to T-Mobile's own treo-specific upgrade page, you can sign up for any of the GPRS plans from $9.99 for 2MB all the way up.

The prices are still a rip-off (and it's keeping me for signing up for GPRS), but T-Mobile does let you sign up for 2 MB. It sounds to me like you got a raw deal from a specific customer service rep. Call them up and try to downgrade to 2 MB.

Originally posted by Stanward
    First of all, T Mobile sucks big time, because they didn't warn their Treo customers of a minimum of 10MB/month usage requirement.

You need to subscribe to the 10MB plan in order to even use GPRS!!!!! I wanted to try out the 2MB plan just to see how fast the connection is. T Mobile reps said nothing, even when I told them I had the Treo 270. Talk about morons!

10MB/Month/$19.95 = Rip off.

Stan
    Where is T-Mobile's Treo-specific page? Can you provide a link? There seems to be no search function on the T-Mo site.
    -mbd26
    You could start here.
    I also messaged the T Mobile rep who comes onto this forum about this matter, and he said it's true, you need the 10MB plan in order to use the Treo with the GPRS! They can't explain to me why we can't use the 2MB plan and pay the extra over-age if I go over the 2MB a month.

Stan

Originally posted by hyperenough
    They're not warning customers of that because that requirement is non-existent. You're spreading misinformation. If you go directly to T-Mobile's own treo-specific upgrade page, you can sign up for any of the GPRS plans from $9.99 for 2MB all the way up.

The prices are still a rip-off (and it's keeping me for signing up for GPRS), but T-Mobile does let you sign up for 2 MB. It sounds to me like you got a raw deal from a specific customer service rep. Call them up and try to downgrade to 2 MB.

7.    #7  
    all of the feedback on this thread is interesting and i appreciate the weighing-in regarding t-mo sucking or not sucking (personally, i fall into the former camp). however, it would be even more helpful to me if perhaps somebody could answer any of the questions i originally posed.

again, specifically:

- for people that are already using gprs, how much data do you find yourself using each month on the average?

thanks
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by gabriellevy

again, specifically:

Obviously, this depends on the mail in question, but most of the email I send/receive is in the 5K range.

Again, it depends on the types of pages. I'm not sure I have a good range here.

Yesterday seemed like a fairly typical day to me. I was out and about, checked my email a few times (probably downloaded 20 messages and sent 4 or 5 throughout the day, went to www.usps.gov to find out postage to Canada (I never can remember that one), read a message on this board <g>, chatted off and on for an hour or so and KTracker said I used 384K. For myself, I'd say that would be a good average, and on a 30 day month that would be a bit under 12MB - however, I do have my busier day, so the 20MB plan seems to work well for me overall.

Danita
    I don't believe it. They wouldn't be offering the 2 MB plan on t-mobile's own "treoupgrade" web page if they didn't intend to support using the 2 MB plan. I also wouldn't put too much stock in that "t-mobile rep" that's been occasionally posting here, i think he's got about the same range of info as most of the other low-level t-mobile CSRs (that is, often highly inaccurate or in some cases made-up information that they're trained to pass off as 100% correct to the customer because the last thing t-mo wants is for their csr's to appear uninformed or unqualified).

you didn't say whether you called back up. get them to pass you to a wireless data tech. you are absolutely the ONLY person i have seen claiming that you must sign up with 10 mb. t-mobile certainly advertises otherwise.

I also messaged the T Mobile rep who comes onto this forum about this matter, and he said it's true, you need the 10MB plan in order to use the Treo with the GPRS! They can't explain to me why we can't use the 2MB plan and pay the extra over-age if I go over the 2MB a month.

Stan

When I signed up gprs for my 270, the rep offered ONLY the 2 MB plan -- I had to pull info on the other plans out of her [now there's a visualization I'm going to just leave sitting there].
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    All this mis-information is making me more angry! Two T Mobile reps told me I NEED the 10MB plan. Whether or not this is the case, 2MB is too little. Reason why I want to switch over to Sprint with their unlimited Vision plan.

I never called T Mobile back, cuz the reps are idiots(like Sprint reps). One T Mobile rep was supposed to upgrade me from 2MB to 10MB plan the first time around, but he didn't. I found out several days later why my GPRS wasn't working. Another rep signed me up for T Zones, which is different.

On travel, I am using a whole lot of MBs since it's almost my main method of surfing the web while I'm away.

Just change to Sprint and tell them why you want to change, cuz they got idiots working there, and their GPRs plan sucks a$$.

I'm sorry if I was giving mis-information to this list.

Stan

Originally posted by hyperenough
    I don't believe it. They wouldn't be offering the 2 MB plan on t-mobile's own "treoupgrade" web page if they didn't intend to support using the 2 MB plan. I also wouldn't put too much stock in that "t-mobile rep" that's been occasionally posting here, i think he's got about the same range of info as most of the other low-level t-mobile CSRs (that is, often highly inaccurate or in some cases made-up information that they're trained to pass off as 100% correct to the customer because the last thing t-mo wants is for their csr's to appear uninformed or unqualified).

you didn't say whether you called back up. get them to pass you to a wireless data tech. you are absolutely the ONLY person i have seen claiming that you must sign up with 10 mb. t-mobile certainly advertises otherwise.

All this mis-information is making me more angry! Two T Mobile reps told me I NEED the 10MB plan. Whether or not this is the case, 2MB is too little. Reason why I want to switch over to Sprint with their unlimited Vision plan.

I never called T Mobile back, cuz the reps are idiots(like Sprint reps). One T Mobile rep was supposed to upgrade me from 2MB to 10MB plan the first time around, but he didn't. I found out several days later why my GPRS wasn't working. Another rep signed me up for T Zones, which is different.

On travel, I am using a whole lot of MBs since it's almost my main method of surfing the web while I'm away.

Just change to Sprint and tell them why you want to change, cuz they got idiots working there, and their GPRs plan sucks a$$.

I'm sorry if I was giving mis-information to this list.

Stan

When dealing with CSR's, if you think they are "idiots", you will certainly get an "*****" to deal with you. Conversely, if you can give them a little respect, you could also get a winner all the time. For all you know, your name is probably and already well-circulated in the CSR's newsletter about who's who in the "customers from hell" section. Just my 2 cents......
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    i never said i gave any CSRs hell. In fact, I treat them with respect and always say "thank you" many times during our conversations. So please don't assume anything here!!!!!!!!!!!!
    On Handspring's website, they recommend a plan with 10 MB or more. I suspect that this may be misconstrued over at T-Mobile, with some CSRs thinking at least 10 MB is required.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    When I called to add GPRS to my service, the rep started out asking if i wanted the 2 MB plan, and I said, no, I'll take the 10 MB one...he knew I was on the Treo.

I agree with those that say the 2 MB plan is available, and that you simply spoke to an uninformed CSR...if you want to try GPRS out, call them back...
    I've been tracking my GPRS usage with TrafficStat (highly recommended, by the way) and between 11/26/2002 and today (12/11), I have used up my 10MB allotment. In two weeks, I'm done. Sucks.

Now, I can attribute some of this to the "novelty" aspect and my ignorance in going to whatever website I wanted to, downloading all kinds of image-heavy sites (d'oh!), but even if I hadn't been so stupid I would have probably reached my limit after three weeks or so, what with emails, IMs and everything.

I do use TreoMail and I filter LOTS of stuff out, which helps but the bottom line is that T-Mobile needs to revisit GPRS pricing... NOW!

As soon as the next carrier goes GPRS, I'm going to switch over.
  17.    #17  
    thank you, all of you, for providing input. my take-away: i better be prepared to hit or exceed the 10MB plan each month if i do a decent amount of emailing, iming and web surfing. with this in mind, i think i will wait until either 1) the t-mo pricing drops or 2) another carrier offers gprs

thanks.
    Something to bear in mind when you're calculating bandwidth usage for "always-on" email functionality is that POP is a pull, not a push service. If your device checks every five minutes for new email, you're sending and receiving data with each check, whether you have new email or not... so the sum data usage is greater than the total size of email sent and received. I don't know how big a POP request is, but I'm sure it's a fairly significant portion of the total data used.