1.    #1  
    I use TreoTools to turn of the cell phone at night, and wakt it up in the morning.

But now that I have the GPRS upgrade, it doesn't automatically reconnect after coming back on.

Does anyone have a solution? I saw a thread that said using TreoMail corporate would help, but I don't use that. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
    If you go to Prefs>Network, then Options>Preferences from the Pull-Down menu, there is a checkbox option to connect to the Data network whenever wireless mode is on.

However, I have it checked off and it doesn't work. I read a thread somewhere too where someone was saying that this is a bug.

What happens to me is, the little black triangle appears, meaning that a GPRS network is available, but it doesn't sign in until I hit connect or launch an app that needs a network connection. If I don't have it checked off, I get no little triangle. To connect to the network, I have to click connect, which ends up hanging until I hit cancel. Then the little triangle appears. I hit connect again, and then it signs me in, and I get the large black triangle.

Anybody have a similar experience?
    My treo hangs when the box is checked and I click connect and I have to do a soft reset to get out of it. I do get the tiny black triangle, though, when the box is checked.
    Originally posted by Appleman
    If you go to Prefs>Network, then Options>Preferences from the Pull-Down menu, there is a checkbox option to connect to the Data network whenever wireless mode is on.

However, I have it checked off and it doesn't work. I read a thread somewhere too where someone was saying that this is a bug.

What happens to me is, the little black triangle appears, meaning that a GPRS network is available, but it doesn't sign in until I hit connect or launch an app that needs a network connection. If I don't have it checked off, I get no little triangle. To connect to the network, I have to click connect, which ends up hanging until I hit cancel. Then the little triangle appears. I hit connect again, and then it signs me in, and I get the large black triangle.

Anybody have a similar experience?
    I am on T-mobile and have the same experience. I also notice when I first sign into GPRS, the first time NEVER works. It says I am connected and the hour-pie (best description for the hour-glass doo-hicky on the blazer screen) spins, but it always times out. I disconnect the network and then re-connect and I am fine.
    Bob
    I also notice when I first sign into GPRS, the first time NEVER works. It says I am connected and the hour-pie (best description for the hour-glass doo-hicky on the blazer screen) spins, but it always times out. I disconnect the network and then re-connect and I am fine.
    I've noticed this behavior too. It seems like it takes a little while after the indicator shows for GPRS to be really connected. So if an application like Blazer or an Email program is run when GPRS is not connected and causes it to connect, the app always tanks out. Even if I connect to GPRS in the Prefs | Network panel and then pop right over to Blazer, Blazer will choke.

I've found I must connect to GPRS from the Prefs | Network panel and then WAIT 30 seconds or so, it will then work fine. [btw - this is in south Florida.] Not terribly convenient, but I'm only keeping GPRS for a month to play with it -- unless T-Mobile comes up with a reasonably priced internet plan.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    I thought I was happy without GPRS but it is so much better than I expected that I couldn't consider going without it now.
    Originally posted by Preston
    I thought I was happy without GPRS but it is so much better than I expected that I couldn't consider going without it now.
    Hi Preston -- what is it about gprs that you like? faster speed or "always on" or something else? Do you access the internet a lot via your Treo?

I sit next to computers with internet access all day, and then at home, so I find I don't use my Treo very much for the internet. I think somebody who is on the road a lot would probably appreciate gprs more than I do.

Regards, Uni
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    I like checking email frequently. With GPRS, I check email in 60 seconds or less, depending on how much new mail there is. Before, it took a 3-5 minutes to connect, check, and download email. Moreover, I used to periodically get connection failures and couldn't rely on access; I haven't had any connection failures since the upgrade. Having downloaded email, I was faced with "do I log off and answer the mail, or remain connected?" So the speed and always on feature combine to make checking and responding to emails very fast and much more reliable. I am often away from my PC - at lunch, in meetings, traveling (where the PC isn't hooked up) - and GPRS keeps me in touch.

I don't browse the internet much. Probably half the times I've accessed it is to show someone else how cool my treo is. I might start doing it more if I had useful lookups, but I use vindigo and avantgo, which cover most of the information I might want.

I bought 20MB for $35. This represents a savings since I went from 1400 minutes to 800 minutes at the same time, a $40 savings. So while I understand that the MB charge is high, it isn't actually costing me much since I was using a lot of minutes for email before.
    Preston. Check out your usage numbers by calling TMobile. I just went over mine today and despite a fair amount of email usage I did not use even close to the 10mb. I dropped down to the 2mb plan.At 3.95 per extra MB even if I go over one or 2 I am still ahead of the 19.95
    I bought 20MB for $35. This represents a savings since I went from 1400 minutes to 800 minutes at the same time, a $40 savings. So while I understand that the MB charge is high, it isn't actually costing me much since I was using a lot of minutes for email before.
    I have to analyze my usage over the past several months. I've been on the 600 min + unlim wkends for $40, but may be able to cut back to the 300min + unlim wkend plan for $30 -- and then gprs on top. I suspect I do most of my Treo internet access on the weekends however, when my minutes are free, so it may not pay to go the gprs route. Of course, when T-Mobile starts their $9.95 unlimited gprs . . .
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    So does anyone know how to automatically re-establish the GPRS connection if it is lost, or when you turn on the wireless mode?
    This afternoon in Austin, GPRS (T-Mobile) won't connect (time out error) and when that happens, the Treo freezes and requires a soft reset. This problem continues tonight.