1.    #1  
    I received two SMS spams that claimed to be from Cingular today.

They say: "CINGULAR FREE MSG. Cingular may send you free messages on offers and products to improve your wireless service & save $. To unsubscribe, reply with the word NO"

This is a very disappointing trend. Especially since it will COST ME $0.10 to reply to the bastards.
    I got the same one the day after thanksgiving! Those bastards!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I received 5 of these spam sms messages in a month. 2 of them were delivered to me while I was sitting in a movie theater. I had shut my Treo 270 off but when these messages arrived they turned my phone back on and gave a nice and loud "fly by". That pissed me off!!!
    Originally posted by jchristopher
    This is a very disappointing trend. Especially since it will COST ME $0.10 to reply to the bastards.
    Be careful though...are you sure that this spam is originating from Cingular? It could be like standard email spam - responding to it may only validate your phone number for the spammer, thus insuring that you'll get even more spam in the future.

To make sure, you may want to contact Cingular and ask the customer service representative if Cingular is indeed transmitting unsolicited commercial messages through their SMS service. If they are, then ask the customer service representative to halt the messages. But I would never reply to the SMS.