1.    #1  
    When I reply to emails using GPRS, I get an error and "Relaying denied." It isn't the email program (Snappermail) since if I shut off T-Mobile Internet Service, connect to my ISP, and send the mail, it goes out properly. Thus, it seems to be the settings.

Should my smtp settings be for tmobile rather than my ISP?
    Sounds like your mailserver doesn't allow unauthenticated SMTP relays (rightly so, IMO) -- does your email app allow you to use authentication? Typically you can put in a username and password (same ones you use for POP), and continue using your usual SMTP server.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your advice.

I tried SMTP authenticaiton and received 'no known smtp authentication' from Snappermail. (My email is a university unix system, nothing strange about it.) It is peculiar that when I use any of two ISPs (the university or SBC), I have no difficulty sending mail, even without the SMTP authentication checked.

Is Port 25 correct? I have another mail server to try when I have another message to send. Should I check Pop before Send?

What is quite odd here is that some messages get through.
    I believe the way it works is that SMTP authentication isn't required for IP addresses within their approved block. So if you dial in to the university modem pool, they're assigning you an IP address. When you hit the SMTP server, it knows you're coming in from a "valid" address and allows your request. The idea is to keep unknown addresses from using their server as a spam processor. I suppose it's possible they don't allow SMTP access from unknown IP addresses, period?

As I understand it, "POP before SMTP" is another attempt to authorize users -- it performs a POP check a split second before the SMTP access. If the server is configured to accept this form of access, it sees a valid POP attempt at IP address X, and that means it's OK to provide SMTP access to that IP address within the next few seconds (i.e., before that address could be released to another dynamically allocated user). If your university accepts that form of authorization, that might do the trick.

From the Snappermail help site:
    'I get a relay denied errors whenever I try to send email
    The relaying denied error normally happens when you are sending mail through the SMTP (outbound) mail server of one Internet Service Provider (ISP) while connected to another ISP. This is a protective measure by ISPs to prevent their SMTP server from being used by unauthorized spammers to send junk email. To fix the relay denied problem, you will need to either adjust your SnapperMail SMTP settings for each of your email accounts to point to the SMTP server of the ISP you are connecting through. Alternatively if the SMTP server you are trying to use supports authentication, you can enter in your username and password in the "optional" part of the SMTP settings.'
  5.    #5  
    I think you accurately describe how my university account works, JeffOng. That was helpful. My university account does seem to have an absolute bar to sending mail and no authentication method other than IP verification. I submitted an inquiry to find out for sure.

With SBC, I am receiving a "Socket Busy" error. I emailed support at Snappermail to find out what this means.

A solution to this problem would be to use T-Mobile to send mail. I read in another thread that T-Mobile doesn't support smtp sending. I also found nothing on T-Mobile's website about smtp settings, which corroborates. Can anyone verify that the T-Mobile internet account requires a third party ISP to send mail, even when using GPRS and T-Mobile's internet account? That would be a major nuisance for everyone who has an ISP that doesn't support smtp authentication.
    Last edited by Preston; 12/04/2002 at 06:50 AM.