1.    #1  
    On the 270's Phone Book screen there used to 4 boxes in the bottom left hand corner that were used to select which view you were in: Quick Dial, Direct Dial, Phone Book and Call History. You could use the Phone button to cycle through them without lifting the lid. After the GPRS patch, I now only have 3. It looks like the Call History box has been removed and the function is now relegated to the Options pulldown menu.

Does anyone else have this? If so, why would they do this? It was pretty handy to be able to cycle to the missed calls window by using just one hand to hit the Phone Button. Especially when driving. Now I gotta lift the lid and pull out the stylus. Why would they make this change?!?

Bob
    This is by design. I, in fact, like it. The other 3 funtions are used everyday, call history is used once in a while. For me at least.
    I also very much like the change.
    interesting. i miss the call history as i use it a lot. menu-Y is awkward but i can live with it
    I, too, miss the call history screen button. I used it as a convenient way to re-dial a number. Am I correct that there is no "re-dial" button on a 180?

Unfortunately, I've got bigger problems with the upgrade. Just called T-Mobile to add GPRS internet service to my upgraded 180, and they said the software doesn't work!

Any others with similar experience?
    Pressing and holding the "Phone book" button redials the last number.

I would call T-Mobile back and speak to someone else. I find it hard to believe that software that people have been using for months doesn't work all of a sudden.
    Thanks for the redial tip, Appleman.

During usage this weekend, post-upgrade, the "menu-Y" keystroke isn't so bad, I guess.

I'm not going to work too hard to get the GPRS. I don't connect that often, and when I do my dial-up works just fine for my purposes. I'll wait and let the rush die down, and maybe for the prices to drop.

For people who ask me about my Treo, and who want always-on internet, I always refer them to the Sprint 300 anyway!
    i got a new treo 270 the other day. i didn't install the GPRS upgrade because it came preinstalled. I don't use it, i still dial up. but i have the Call Barring option under options. and the T-Mobile internet/GPRS option under network preferences
    and still got my call history as the 4th little box....
    go figure

ajay
    I miss the call history button, but the other icon that is now missing is the dial pad button after you have called a number, it used to show up next to hang up etc which made it convienent to touch if you had to dial an extension. Is there any way to get these icons back other than removing the gprs software?
    It's there. It's the little icon in the bottom left corner, that looks like a dial pad. Once your call is connected, tap it. It gives you the dial pad, to add extra digits.
    Originally posted by gflos
    I miss the call history button, but the other icon that is now missing is the dial pad button after you have called a number, it used to show up next to hang up etc which made it convienent to touch if you had to dial an extension. Is there any way to get these icons back other than removing the gprs software?
    You can't remove the GPRS software. That being said, just use the keypad on the keyboard (unless you have a 180g); it works the same.
    Originally posted by bart in SF
    Thanks for the redial tip, Appleman.
    There are tons of other ways to redial, too:

- On the dialpad screen, use the jogdial to cycle through the last 10 numbers you dialed. Push the jogdial to dial the number. I think that one is super-cool -- you don't have to open the lid to dial.

- On the dialpad screen, tap the "dial" button to redial the last number.

- On the dialpad screen, press in on the jogdial to redial the last number.

I'm sure there are others; these are just the ones I could think of off the top of my head.

Honestly, if I had the GPRS patch (which I don't yet -- waiting for the official thang), I would prefer the menu-Y approach. I imagine it's faster than having to haul out the stylus to tap on the screen, or push the phone button to cycle through the phone screens.
  13.    #13  
    Believe me, when your using a headset and you have your other hand on the driver wheel, menu-y is not easier than using the phone button to cycle to the missed calls menu. I can't figure out what would possess them to change that user interface. I think there were enough things to work on that they didn't need to "fix" something that no one was complaining about.
    Thanks Bbonnn for the tips...

Guess I should read the manual...hehe...
    The removal of both the 'Call History' and 'Dialpad' buttons is terrible. How can removing buttons and replacing them with white space be seen as a good idea? Both are critical when using the phone while driving or walking or anytime you can't stop and focus or reach for stylus - I already hated this phone and these changes are probably the last straw - another treo heads for ebay.
    Good points, dpam & Bob-C.

Why did the call history screen button (and associated scroll-though ability of the phone button) have to go away?

Why did the large dial pad screen button have to go away?

Aren't there blank spaces now where both used to be? (certainly is with the call history button) I guess the new mute button displaced the big dial pad button, but there still seems to be plenty of room on the screen.

While we're at it, was there a clamor for the keyboard shortcuts that are now available for all of the large screen buttons? If you've got a huge screen button to press, why would you want to use a KB button?

I guess I'm just used to upgrades adding functionality, not displacing previous functionality.

My $0.02 worth...
    The keyboard shortcuts have always been there. They have just made visual cues for them.
    I think it's ridiculous to remove the call history icon too, I use it a lot. I've read in the post that there is a German software company developing a software to replace the Treo built in phonebook ( with the call history icon ). Any other software available???
    To find your call history, just find options under your drop down menus and go to "call history." Just makes it a little harder to find.
    Wholly....read the whole thread, or at least the very first post where he already states this.

The point of the thread is why.

Originally posted by Bob-C
    After the GPRS patch, I now only have 3. It looks like the Call History box has been removed and the function is now relegated to the Options pulldown menu.