1.    #1  
    I waited for the official GPRS upgrade but now I can't check my e-mail anymore because Eudora keeps giving me fatal errors. It happens every time I try to open a message (or open the blank new message form). Strangely, it will check one of my two e-mail accounts but also crashes (with a different error message) when I try to check my other address on the same server. (I use one for business mail and the other for personal.) Turning off my hacks doesn't make a difference. I'm still using my dial-up account, not GPRS (although I really miss the free ISDN gateway from Voicestream, which was much, much faster getting connected than my own ISP.) Anyone have any ideas?
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Well I can tell you this - I have since hard-reset (after installing 1.1.1) and re-built my treo setup from scratch, with all the defaults of the new rom, and Eudora works fine for me. I never trust the upgrade process of anything (be it desktops or handhelds). I know it's a lot of work, but I always rebuild from scratch after major updates, and it always pays off.

I definately agree about the free ISDN vs. regular dialup. I miss it badly.
    After GRPS my Eudora works fine, But the upgrade deleted all saved mail in the folders. Apparently saved mail was not being backed up by hotsynch (all account information was preserved). I really like the Eudora program but if the next version of Snappermail implements timed fetch, it will be a serious contender.
  4.    #4  
    I guess I'll have to try a clean install when I get home from Thanksgiving. How do I figure out which files to delete before I restore my backup files? I have all sorts of miscellaneous files accumulated over the years going back to my VDX. How can I figure out which ones I still need and which are disposable?
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    What I usually do it make a backup copy of your backup folder, and keep it around for a long while. Restore the files that are obvious to you, then start using your treo. If you discover you're missing something, go back to your backup folder and track it down. I've always had good results when using this approach. It's a good way to make sure you don't overwrite something new with something old, but at the same time you won't lose any data.
    I used Eudora before the upgrade, (worked fine) with circuit switched data, to an ISP to get to my email, provided by my cable company. the send POP address was of the ISP I went through to get to my email. The POP account for receiving mail was the cable account.

After the upgrade, Eudora still works fine. However, I can recieve email as before, but cannot send email through the ISP (probably because I no longer log in through them) nor my cable company.

Does anyone have a solution for me?

John
    I don't know about your particular ISP, but on Earthlink you cannot use the regular SMTP server to send mail unless you are connected through their network. However, you can still send mail through earthlink when you are using another ISP or GPRS if you use their authtenticated SMTP server See this link Your ISP may also offer authenticated SMTP service.
    Originally posted by rosswords
    I waited for the official GPRS upgrade but now I can't check my e-mail anymore because Eudora keeps giving me fatal errors. It happens every time I try to open a message (or open the blank new message form). Strangely, it will check one of my two e-mail accounts but also crashes (with a different error message) when I try to check my other address on the same server. (I use one for business mail and the other for personal.) Turning off my hacks doesn't make a difference. I'm still using my dial-up account, not GPRS (although I really miss the free ISDN gateway from Voicestream, which was much, much faster getting connected than my own ISP.) Anyone have any ideas?
    I know I ran into a similar type problem when I used to have my Kyocera 6035 with Eudora. You might want to look for a file on the Palm called Eudora Scratchpad or something similar. Delete that file and see if you still have problems. That file will be recreated when you use Eudora next.