1.    #1  
    Just a quick note since I didn't see it elsewhere on the boards:

I was bummed about losing the "Turn Off & Lock" feature in the security app after patching the GPRS. But, while tooling around in the Prefs menus, I found it again!

Open the "Prefs" app, then select the "Buttons" menu item. At the bottom is a "Pen..." button. It gives you a selection of 5 apps to run if you drag the stylus up from the graffiiti area into the screen. The default used to be "Graffiti Help," but now one of the possible selections is "Turn Off & Lock."

Since I have a 180g, I'm not sure if this is equivalent on the 180/270/300, but it's probably in there somewhere.

Hope this helps the fellow "security paranoia challenged" such as myself.

[reposted]
    We don't have it, at least I don't and I have a 270. This must be due to the fact that a sweep of the pen upward originates in the graffiti area.
    Does anybody have LockMe! or some other app on their Treo that uses the security feature. I'm curious if the functionality to lock the device still exists after the GPRS upgrade. I have mine set to auto-lock every 4 hours. I understand that this feature is not very secure, but I feel it does a great job to prevent casual snooping.
  4.    #4  
    It seems that the functionality of the security app is still there, since you can set the pen motion of a 180g to "Turn Off & Lock." They probably just removed the button. I'm sure a clever programmer could write a simple app (maybe a DA or hack) to access that function once more. Seems feasible anyway.
    Does anybody have LockMe! or some other app on their Treo that uses the security feature. I'm curious if the functionality to lock the device still exists after the GPRS upgrade.
    The lock feature in Launch 'Em works fine on my 270 (it calls the built-in Security app). So the functionality is still there -- just no button! Has there been any comment on this by Handspring?
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    Launcher X has the button, and it works fine. So the security feature is still there and you can access it with Launcher X.
    The lock feature in Launch 'Em works fine on my 270 (it calls the built-in Security app). So the functionality is still there -- just no button! Has there been any comment on this by Handspring?
    Well, to answer my own question, I found this bit on Handspring's website:

Where did the "Turn off & Lock" feature go on my Treo communicator?

The "Turn off & Lock" feature found in the Palm OS Security application has been removed in favor of the standard cell phone locking feature known as the PIN lock, or the SIM lock (on GSM/GPRS devices).

This change occurs on Treo 300 communicators, and Treo 180, 180g, and 270 communicators that have been upgraded to GPRS.

To access the PIN lock feature:

1. Bring up the Speed Dial view.
    2. Open the Menu launcher.
    3. From the options menu, select Phone Preferences (Treo 180, 180g, 270) or Security Preferences (Treo 300).
    4. Enter your PIN lock preferences.

For GSM Treo communicators, if you do not already know your PIN for locking/unlocking your communicator, contact your mobile service provider to find out the standard default PIN that is assigned to any phone they support. The Treo is not special in that regard; it has the same default PIN code as any other phone on the carrier's network and only the carrier knows this code. [The default T-Mobile PIN is '1234']

For the Treo 300, the default PIN is the last four digits of your phone number. The Treo 300 has both wireless mode and communicator security accessible from the Security Preferences screen you accessed above.

I want better locking options

If you need a very strong locking feature for the entire communicator (phone, internet and organizer features), you may be interested in installing a third-party security program that offers added security. Check out the Security software from any of the following third-party sites:

PalmGear
    Handango
    Tucows PDA

There are many applications that fit various security needs. Examples include

PDASecure Premium
    TealLock
    Secret!
    matrix
    OnlyMe
    EasyLock
    (many others)

Please note that the use of secure locking applications which are not phone-safety aware may prevent the use of your phone in an emergency situation by someone who does not have the unlock code.
    Last edited by UniPalmer; 11/28/2002 at 10:08 PM.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    Sorry for cross-posting this everywhere, but I have yet to see an answer from anyone.

Say I religiously lock my PDA whenever I turn it off (let's say I've reassigned a key to bring up the lock+off screen).

Now I get a phone call (the phone screen comes up - completely bypassing that security - which is fine by me). How do I, while still on that call, unlock the PDA?

No button I've tried gets me away from the "hang-up all" screen so that I can enter my password.

Any ideas?