1.    #1  
    So just for the fun of it I called both Handspring and Cingular and asked when they would be supporting GPRS. The guy at Handspring was pretty glum and kinda sorta said it would be days or weeks, probably not months. At least he acknowledged knowing what I was talking about. The Cingular person said they only know about things 2 days ahead, and they knew nothing about it, so it must be at least two days away! That was helpful.

Any other rumors? I doubt they will let it slip past the end of the year, that is just begging for a class action lawsuit, since they represented it would be later this year.
    Technically the representation you speak of has been met as GPRS is delivered on most networks with Cingular as an exception.

Clearly there is some kind of roadblock between Cingular and Handspring regarding the release of this software. My guess is that it relates to Cingulars ongoing network upgrade of their TDMA network. It's a pain but hey I am glad I am not in Europe where networks sold many GPRS ready handsets and then the networks chose not to bother deploying, only put out poor WAP services or gave back their 3G licences in some cases. It has been much slower over there and frustrating in a much deeper way.

You could always just go ahead and use the software regardless of explicit support...
    I've been successfully running it on my 270 since Aug. Works great. The best part about it and probably the reason they haven't officially released it yet is billing! It is very slow to show up on my monthly bill. I've been burning at least 4mb a month but my bill only reflects about 180 - 195 kb. I'm not complaining!
    did you get cingular to work with your 270 on the west coast? i haven't bothered trying it with my 180 yet since i heard that there were problems getting it to work on the west coast with 1.1.
    Los Angeles!
    Fine in LA, Sacramento, San Diego
    FWIW, I have been using Cingular GPRS on my Treo 180 (I installed the mod without problems) for about a month or so, with few problems until recently. For the past week there have been frequent outages here in the SF Bay Area, and I just got off the phone with Cingular CS who said that they are having system wide problems in CA and NV.
    Originally posted by tcc
    Fine in LA, Sacramento, San Diego
    tcc,

i am going to just go ahead with the upgrade now rather than change my service to t-mobile.

if you don't mind, i have a few questions:

are you using 1.1 or 1.1.1 upgrade?

did you follow the unofficial guide posted here?

any wierd steps, tricks, short cuts, etc. that you encountered/used during your upgrade process?

finally, any advice you would give to someone whose about to risk their treo doing the unofficial upgrade on cingular?

thank you in advance for your assistance.

p.s. this is an idiotic state of affairs. t-mo has it, cingular does not, and i'm forced to hack my device in order to make my device do what it was supposed to do months ago. what a joke....sorry i had to get that off my chest.
    I would use the 1.1 patch because I know it works!! I get the funny feeling that there maybe some issues with the new v1.1.1. Follow the instructions for the unofficial release by replacing the currentcarrier.pdb file and follow the instructions. It's very easy to do. When you launch the installer it will recognize Singtel as the carrier, it will ask you if you want it to look for updated info or something to that affect click yes than it will prompt you for your user name and password. Insert your user name and password for "my wireless windows" and you're all set!
    I have also had Cingular GPRS up and running well on a 270 for the past month or so in Monterey County, CA - until yesterday, when it failed to connect to the GPRS system. The phone still works OK, and every eight hours or so the GPRS system comes back on. I was in Reno, NV today and had the same problem. Phone is OK but GPRS won't connect. Returned home this afternoon and called Cingular to find out what was going on, and while I was on hold for ten minutes or so, GPRS came back on. Apparently there is a problem in the system, as when it fails, the signal strength drops from four bars to one bar. I never did get to talk to a Cingular tech to see if he/she could explain the problem. At the moment it's working OK.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Using it with no problems in Los Angeles since October.
  12. Kan
    Just installed it in LA. Can't believe I waited this long. It's so much better.
    Enjoy! which version did you install?
  14. Kan
    I installed 1.11. Not only is teh GRPS handy as hell, but I even seem to be getting stronger signals in places where it was very weak before.
    Originally posted by rbrar

are you using 1.1 or 1.1.1 upgrade?

did you follow the unofficial guide posted here?

any wierd steps, tricks, short cuts, etc. that you encountered/used during your upgrade process?

finally, any advice you would give to someone whose about to risk their treo doing the unofficial upgrade on cingular?
    I'm using 1.1 - haven't tried 1.1.1 yet...

I did follow the unofficial guide, and it worked ok. I'd definately go for the hard reset beforehand just to make sure you start the upgrade from scratch. There are alot of posts about it.

As for tricks during the upgrade process...from what I remember, make sure you have your Cingular username and password ready to input during the upgrade process. I think there are posts that go into that in more detail as well.

I should note that the service works, but it certainly hasn't been flawless. It doesn't seem to connect automatically when I turn wireless mode on (so I have to do it via prefs). Sometimes, if I let an application try to establish the connection, it won't connect (unless again, I do it via prefs). And sometimes you can't connect at all. I'd say it works 85% of the time. But that's 85% better than nothing! :-) Not bad considered it's not supported yet.