View Poll Results: GPRS Upgrade worth it or not?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely worth it.

40 93.02%
  • No, not worth the hassle.

3 6.98%
  1.    #1  
    I am happily dialing into my UUnet account with my Treo 270 to browse the web with no problems. I am thinking about upgrading but wondering if it's worth it.

I have already read horror stories about having to do hard resets, Treo not working anymore, problems with software functions, etc.

What do you think?
    I have the new update on my 270 and am very happy with it.

- Much improved echo cancellation (read NO echo)
    - Mute button (at last)
    - Instant entry to speakerphone
    - Automatic net prefs setup for my carrier
    - jog dial can be used to move between links in Blazer and also integrates with phone and TreoMail
    - GPRS data speed is pretty good on Cingular
    - Always on Internet connection - faster connections

Dont care features:
    - call barring - it is not supported by my carrier anyhow. This appears to be a network feature in Europe.

Couple of niggles:
    - no more Turn off and lock - I presume to prevent me from being unable to dial 911 if I get a knock on the head.
    - Cingular MyWirelessWindow is set to home page by default in Blazer
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    The added feature just for the speakerphone is worth the upgrade! Still going to wait on T-Mo for better rate plans before turning on GPRS.
    I would say to any Treo users who have ben waiting to join us in the GPRS pool, the water's fine!

I downloaded v 1.1 three weeks ago and had no problems at all. Added v 1.1.1 today and so far so good with it.

I would echo Pory's advantages to installing GPRS, especially elimination of the echo problem. My wife constantly complained about having to listen to the echo when I called her using the speakerphone.

I would also like to ask all T-Mobile GPRS users to e-mail AND call T-Mobile to complain about the data rates. The e-mail can be accessed on the T-Mobile web site. The phone number for their corporate offices in Bellevue, WA is 1-800-318-9270. Please call and complain and maybe they'll give us unlimited data useage like the T-Mo Sidekick and Sprint Treo 300.

The more noise we make, the cheaper it will be for us!
  5.    #5  
    Is it true you have to leave 6mb or so free to install?

If that is the case, how would you suggest I do this since my Treo has about 15.5mb or so of programs & info on it?

Thanks.
    if something does happen, you'll be covered by the warranty, but don't worry too much about it.

As for clearing the needed 6.7megs of RAM, just follow the instructions on the Handspring download page on what to do, from clearing deleted mail and Blazer cache, to deleting apps you rarely or never use, to deleting apps and then reinstalling them from the Archive folder (where they go when you delete them from the device). It's really not a big deal. Just give yourself an hour to get through the whole process.

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Backup everything first. Then do a hard reset. Proceed with the upgrade. A very clean start is a good precaution to take prior to upgrading.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks guys. Wish me luck................
    Originally posted by emajy
    Backup everything first. Then do a hard reset. Proceed with the upgrade. A very clean start is a good precaution to take prior to upgrading.
    While this isn't a BAD idea, it's not really necessary. The upgrade process includes backing up your data with a HotSync. The Updater itself flashes your Treo's ROMs and does a hard reset itself. Then another HotSync restores all your data. And if you do a hard reset first, you'll probably have to pick yourself as a user just to get the updater installed to your Treo, and end up restoring everything right back to the device including the updater, which would then not have enough room! ;-)

My recommendation is to follow the instructions provided by Handspring. That's what I did, and it worked wonderfully.

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    My Treo 270 no longer works at all after using the Ver. 1.1.1 upgrade by Handspring.

The unit drains the battery like there is no tomorrow! This is using the Treo in Wireless off mode.

I got a nice paperweight on my desk right next to me, waiting for a replacement by Handspring, which will be a refurbished unit.

Stan
    Refurbished units should go straight into the trash!
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    Just a quick note since I didn't see it elsewhere on the boards:

I was bummed about losing the "Turn Off & Lock" feature in the security app after patching the GPRS. But, while tooling around in the Prefs menus, I found it again!

Open the "Prefs" app, then select the "Buttons" menu item. At the bottom is a "Pen..." button. It gives you a selection of 5 apps to run if you drag the stylus up from the graffiiti area into the screen. The default used to be "Graffiti Help," but now one of the possible selections is "Turn Off & Lock."

Since I have a 180g, I'm not sure if this is equivalent on the 180/270/300, but it's probably in there somewhere.

Hope this helps the fellow "security paranoia challenged" such as myself.
    I made the GPRS upgrade leap last night. The upgrade went smoothly with no problems whatsoever. I didn't subscribe to T-Mobile's internet plan because the rates are prohibitively expensive right now. I'll wait for rates to drop before taking the plunge.
    I tested the new version of blazer using CSD (dial-up) using MSN as my ISP. No problems whatsoever.
    I love the new features and functionality.
    Overall, I'm very pleased with the upgrade.
    Originally posted by Stanward
    My Treo 270 no longer works at all after using the Ver. 1.1.1 upgrade by Handspring.

The unit drains the battery like there is no tomorrow! This is using the Treo in Wireless off mode.

I got a nice paperweight on my desk right next to me, waiting for a replacement by Handspring, which will be a refurbished unit.

Stan
    Refurbished units should go straight into the trash!

I have now upgraded my own Treo and 5 others owned by friends or co-workers. Guess what? If you follow the step-by-step directions on the Handspring Website and pay close attention while the Installer is doing its thing and follow all of those directions, it is an absolute slam dunk! Seems to me that the folks that have screamed the loudest about the Treo this and Handspring that are the same ones that can't seem to get the upgrade right.

Don't know why I have had a wonderful relationship with my 270 and I was one of the earliest adopters. Don't know why I am so charmed, guess the adage "when all else fails follow the directions".
    Yes, I did follow the instructions exactly as on the Handspring website. The upgrade failed half way through, it just got stuck and the percentage done would not move for a very long time. Then it timed out and gave me an error=1.

I'm an Electrical Engineer, I'm not that stupid.

Stan

Originally posted by BallCoach

I have now upgraded my own Treo and 5 others owned by friends or co-workers. Guess what? If you follow the step-by-step directions on the Handspring Website and pay close attention while the Installer is doing its thing and follow all of those directions, it is an absolute slam dunk! Seems to me that the folks that have screamed the loudest about the Treo this and Handspring that are the same ones that can't seem to get the upgrade right.

Don't know why I have had a wonderful relationship with my 270 and I was one of the earliest adopters. Don't know why I am so charmed, guess the adage "when all else fails follow the directions".
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    Perhaps a more specific poll would be in order: I think the upgrade was "worth it" for the various upgraded features, but GPRS itself is not "worth it", IMHO.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!