1.    #1  
    This morning I woke up and saw that T-Mobile supports GPRS (Wheeee!). As I drove in to work I called T-Mobile and added internet access to my account. Was told it would take up to 48 hours to kick in. Fine.

I did the upgrade on my 180g, which went seamlessly. Tried to connect to the T-Mobile network for giggles.

'Connecting to T-Mobile Internet'
    'Singing on'
    'The GPRS connection has failed or GPRS is not enabled for this account.... etc. etc.'

My questions is: Did I have to indicate to my account rep at T-Mobile that I wanted GPRS or just telling him I wanted Internet addded to my account would suffice?

Also: Should I my signal strength indicator look any different, EVEN WHEN I'M NOT CONNECTED TO GPRS?
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    this is one of those unfortunate times in life where you're at the mercy of your carrier. I went through the same thing with t-mobile. it took a day for the service to kick in. the indicator on my 180g did indicate that i was getting a GPRS signal, but it was the next day before it actually went through. you'll see! once they get you going it will just connect right on through.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, but my indicator indicates the typical tower and four bars, nothing else, even though I did upgrade to GPRS. What does that mean?

How does coverage work? If I have a voice signal that is strong does that mean that I'll also have a GPRS signal that is strong?
    A mini triangle not touching the antenna, above the second and third signal strength bars means GPRS Provisioned.

A large triangle completely covering the Antenna tower means GPRS Connected.

I don't always show the GPRS provisioned icon (maybe, GPRS "avaiable" is a better term). This usually doesn't matter, as once you connect it goes to the connected icon. If you want to see what I am talking about, just connect to GPRS, then go to Net Pref's and disconnect, you will see it.
    It only took about 1 hour for it to kick in for me this morning here in NYC fwiw.

TM