1.    #1  
    So, I'm (finally) getting to install the official GPRS release and I get hit with a "Sector Lock Error." The updater says" Unable to complete upgrade. Your Treo is unchanged. Please contact your support representative. (error = 0x8004)." I call Handspring and they say my 270 is incompatible with GPRS (so much for their advertising of the units as GPRS ready).

All that said, however, they're overnighting me a new Treo, with the GPRS upgrade already installed (and hopefully w/o any of the other issues that have plagued other Treo owners but, thus far, not me). We'll see how that works out.
    Exact same scenario here. I wonder what's up with that? My only hope is that the *new* Treos they send us are part of the improved quality control and we won't go on to suffer the backlight failure, speaker failure, etc., etc. I haven't had a single problem with my Treo up until this moment.
    My update failed due to the Sector Lock Error too. I didn't get around to the update until late in the day, though, so my fear is that my replacement actually goes out today so that I get it tomorrow. With the holiday coming up, if it goes out tomorrow, it may be Friday or later before I receive my (((probably refurbed))) unit....

I've read some other posts elsewhere that some of the failed updates are killing the Treo entirely. That's not the case with mine; it's still completely usable otherwise.
    By the way, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that had this problem. Handspring said I happen to be one of the "lucky" ones with the defective unit. I guess I've been "unlucky" in the past, as this is my third unit already. The first one had a bad speaker, the second (new) replacement unit had a bad screen, and this current (new) replacement has this problem with the GPRS update. I hope my fourth (hopefully new) replacement has no problems! I love my Treo, but the replacement every couple of months is getting old....
  5.    #5  
    My replacement Treo showed up today. And, while it did not already have the GPRS upgrade on it (as the Handspring rep. said it would), the upgrade loaded and appears to work (I don't have a GPRS account, so can't tell for sure).

One question: is there any way I could tell whether this is a new unit as opposed to a refurbished unit? Thanks.
    Scott, like you my replacement unit showed up today. And like you, no GPRS upgrade was pre-installed. The upgrade went well, and quick, and T-Mobile had my GPRS provisioned by the time I got the replacement upgraded. I have to say the hassle of the upgrade was worth it though. The new features (even if you don't have a GPRS plan) are very nice. One thing I don't like, however, is that the Call History icon in the phone app is gone. You can still get to it via the option menu, but it's a bit of a hassle to get to. As for the GPRS data service, it's not as fast as I had hoped, but it is faster, and the "instant on" of GPRS is nice. However, I've seen other posts that the instant on feature doesn't come on automatically when you power the phone on, even if you set the option to do so. This is true. I don't know if this is a T-Mobile problem, or possibly something that will be fixed in the future by Handspring. Either way, once you do a force-connect (which takes a lot less time than connecting to an ISP the old way), it does sail along pretty nicely.

As for a new unit vs. a refurb, I'm not sure, but mine showed up looking brand new. Contrast this to when I had a VisorPhone (yeah, I go back a ways with Handspring) and had to get a replacement: When the "new" one showed up, it was obviously a refurb. It had the paint very worn off of several of the buttons. Hopefully if your Treo looks new, it is. I know it's not a guarantee, but that's what I'm hoping.
    Obviously a few extra miles makes the difference as my replacement didn't make it yesterday...guess I'll get it tomorrow morning. So how will I know if mine is also missing the promised GPRS upgrade? Cause I was really looking forward to NOT having to do that. With my luck I'll get another sector lock error, or just the rare crash on the upgrade. <sigh>
    Originally posted by Alli
    So how will I know if mine is also missing the promised GPRS upgrade?
    Go to your phone options, and if you don't have "Call History" and "Call Barring" in the list of options (Phone Preferences, Ringer Preferences, etc.), you don't have the GPRS upgrade pre-installed. If you do have those two additional items in your options, then you do have the upgrade installed. Plus, in your Network Preferences, you'll have T-Mobile Internet and T-Mobile VPN listed as options. I think this is probably why Handspring is not shipping the replacements with the upgrade -- many people will be using Cingular and the others once they become available, and they don't want any more confusion with their customers than they already have.

Hope this helps!
    That is so horrible, that you experienced many problems with you Treo 270. We should setup a Treo 270 serial number database, to determine if the Treo 270 hit a previous owner. I definately don't want a refurbished unit, as I'm going on a 15 day business trip, and if my Treo died, I think I would want to die with it.

Stan
    Refurbs belong in the trash!

Originally posted by tommygreen
    By the way, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that had this problem. Handspring said I happen to be one of the "lucky" ones with the defective unit. I guess I've been "unlucky" in the past, as this is my third unit already. The first one had a bad speaker, the second (new) replacement unit had a bad screen, and this current (new) replacement has this problem with the GPRS update. I hope my fourth (hopefully new) replacement has no problems! I love my Treo, but the replacement every couple of months is getting old....
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    Well here it is almost 10 a.m. Friday morning, and still no replacement. I just need to vent. I was soooo good waiting until the upgrade became officially available for T-Mo users, and now I'm *STILL* waiting! Aaaarrrggghhhh!!!!