Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I submitted this link to all of the Treo news sites, but not a single one posted it. So I'll post it in the discussion groups instead. Here it is:

http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-tmobile/

It describes how to access the Internet from your Treo without having to purchase a GPRS plan. You have to be on T-Mobile, though.

Trevor
    I installed the GPRS update on my 180 yesterday because I, too, like the other features, namely the revised speakerphone functionality.

I've been using the 'free' Voicestream/Tmobile dial-in for months with no problems, and it's fast enough for the limited surfing I do...mostly scores and weather.

However, now when I launch Blazer it appears that it is 'forcing' me to connect via GPRS. I don't see a way to go back to my old faithful dialup. Any idea how to deactivate it and return to using the Tmobile dial-in?

This would be especially helpful since the Tmobile rep told me it may take 48 hours for GPRS to activate on my account! I hate to be travelling over the holiday without some way to get online via Treo.

Ideally, I'd like to only pay Tmobile for the $9.99 plan for 2mbs just to use when I'm really in a hurry. Other times, I could just dial in. Is there a way to toggle between the two, or is GPRS all or nothing?
    Sorry...duplicate post.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    I've had the VS ISDN working reliably for awhile, and after patching to 1.1.1 (from pre-GPRS - I waited for the official release) it no longer works. Specifically, I connect just fine, but either DNS isn't resolving, or no packets are passing, because none of my network apps can find anything.

Anybody else having dialup trouble?
    OK...getting closer...gosh, it's hard work to be a cheapskate...

In the network options, I had two choices, Tmobile Internet or Tmobile VPN. I had to go into the drop down menu to select 'New' to build a third choice for the Tmobile 'freebie' internet connection.

This dropdown list now gives me the ability to toggle back and forth between GPRS and dial-up...perfect!

EXCEPT...Blazer won't load anything...it keeps saying try again later. I appear to be connected (nifty new connection icon in 1.1.1 that shows signal strength while connected ) but I can't access any websites.

If I remember, Blazer runs through a proxy server...could that server be jammed with everyone testing GPRS?? I hope that's the case and that I don't have the settings wrong.
    I can only connect if I set the speed at 9600. If I set the speed any higher it just sits there forever trying to connect.

I can use Blazer (the one that is in GPRS 1.1.1 upgrade) with no problems. I upgaded from GPRS 1.1. and no problems either.

I can also connect through Earthlink (my IPS), again only at 9600 bps.

I skipped the AT&F portion of the dial-up string. I was not working for me for whatever reason.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Well, it's official - I can no longer connect to the Voicestream ISDN. I tried my original settings (which worked flawlessly since July), and every other variation I could find on the web. I also know it's not DNS, as I pointed it to a known-working DNS server (mine) and still nothing. Just to make sure nothing bad carried over, I even hard-reset my 270, post 1.1.1 update, and tried them all again on a perfectly clean treo. The result was the same... Dialing, connecting, connected! Fast and sweet, but not a single packet of data will pass. It's like a brick wall was put up the moment I updated my treo.

What a huge disappointment for me. Now I'm stuck without data until I activate a rediculously overpriced GPRS plan.
    Ditto on the free dial-up not working post GPRS update.
    Yep...same here...at first I was able to connect, but not exchange any data...now I can't even connect.

Disappointment
    You are right about the TMobile dialup but when I try my SBC yahoo dialup connection or my Ameritech ISP I am able to use Blazer and Eudora as always. So the GPRS update only seems to affect the T-Mobile free ISP as others seem to work.

I now have the best of both worlds, GPRS for weekday usage and dialup for the unlimited nights and weekends, and funny thing the speed does not seem all that much different!

Frank
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    looks like they took it down. (I'm surprised it lasted this long)

So onto the next step: What's the cheapest dialup ISP that works with the treo?
    I am using Access-4-Free. I paid a one-time setup fee of $5.95 and now I get 10 hours free each month. It's only $1 for each additional hour after you use up your 10 hours. The maximum you may be charged per month is $10 for unlimited Internet.

Look at:
    http://www.access-4-free.com/

Works great 4 me.
    fyi, I havent tried the isdn line today (and I haven't done the upgrade either), but the ISDN line was farkled last night and had to switch to the att account.

Maybe i'll try it in the morning.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I haven't done the GPRS upgrade yet, and I'm also having trouble connecting with the VS ISDN. It looks like a connection gets established, but then it just sits there. My regular dial-up account works fine.

I guess TM finally disabled the ISDN service. :-(

Michael
    I did the upgrade and called T-Mobile but they said it would take 48 hours to start working. I had been using "Budget Dialup" as my ISP on my Treo 270 for a few months without any problems. It's $3.95 a month for 10MB. I'll see if I really need the GPRS, and how much different it is than the ISP after it starts working. I'll keep you all posted.
    Originally posted by mfacelle
    I haven't done the GPRS upgrade yet, and I'm also having trouble connecting with the VS ISDN. It looks like a connection gets established, but then it just sits there. My regular dial-up account works fine.

I guess TM finally disabled the ISDN service. :-(

Michael
    Non GPRS users, is this true that the VS ISDN connection is no longer available ?
    I havent' done the GPRS upgrade yet and I can't connect to the ISDN line. I mean it connects but no data gets transmitted. I just tried less then an hour ago.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    *sigh* boy this has been just a load of good news... now my SPOP functionality in Eudora isn't working. Is there *anyone* out there who uses SPOP in Eudora 2.1, and still has it working after the 1.1.1 update? You would think they wouldn't have anything to do with each other since Eudora has it's own SSL library, but it won't pull down custom certificate info like it used to before the patch. And unfortunately the chance of Eudora fixing it (assuming it's their software) is nill.

UPDATE: Disregard this. I'm a sad, stupid little man, who forgot to change the IP range next to the ipop3d line in my mail server's hosts.allow. >banging head on desk<
    Last edited by vebix; 11/27/2002 at 06:41 PM.
  19.    #19  
    I guess my how-to guide is now obsolete, just a few days after I posted it. Ever since T-Mobile officially announced support for GPRS on the Handspring, I am finding a problem that several other users have reported. Namely, I can still connect to the VoiceStream ISDN, but no packets are getting through. Blazer just hangs when I go to a site. Note that I have not updated my Treo with any software updates, so it must be a change on the T-Mobile side.

Trevor
    I am a non upgrader and I can no longer get the VS ISDN connection to work. same stuff It connects but blazer hangs.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast