Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i'm a non-upgrader and i can't even get it to connect. i used to connect to earthlink just using normal minutes (no data plan) and everything is fine. for the past three days (at least -- probably since gprs went live), i have been unable to even connect. the error i get is wrong dial-up number or no data service enabled. the dialup number is fine (i'm on it at home right now), so i think they flipped some switches over at t-mobile.

i'm a little confused by the jargon of some of these posts... can anyone connect at all without gprs?
    exit, pursued by a bear.
    it looks like the isdn number is dead.

Matty, I get the same error (calling att and road runner) from my apartment, but it works well in manhattan.

It used to work from my apartment a couple of weeks ago.

Call voicestream and tell them. It is there problem.

I had this problem at work a couple of months ago. I complained to voicestream and actually got a couple of calls back until they fixed it.

It might go smother if you had some place it still worked. If only to let them know it wasn't a device problem, but a network problem.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Yep, it's dead.

I discovered this a couple weeks ago...
    To confirm, connect to T-Mobile and in the Network preferences panel, choose
    Menu | Options | View Log (:menu:V) *
    Scroll to the bottom and note that the Gateway has no IP (0.0.0.0).

The problem is that they are no longer providing a gateway. Sure, you can connect fine, but (as observed) the packets go nowhere.

This really pisses me off... No notice, no warning, and no recompense!
    It wouldn't be quite as bad if T-Mobile offered reasonably priced GPRS data plans, but of course, they don't.
    And also, we with VisorPhones can't even upgrade to GPRS if we wanted to, so we're SOL.

At least I've still got regular dialup...

If I thought it would help, I would request that we barrage them with phone calls demanding that they restore the ISDN line. However, we all know that this is a calculated move by the execs to railroad subscribers into the more expensive GPRS plans thereby forcing handset upgrades.

* BTW, the log is more than just a log... You can ping and traceroute from here as well.
    For a list of commands enter a ? followed by a return stroke/key.
    To get syntax, enter a command, followed by "options" and the ?, like this:
    ping options ?
    nettrace options ?

Cross-posted to VisorCentral.com
    Tungsten T|3 w/512 MB SD card
    Dial-up is not working either. Seems like the only way to access data now is to subscribe to GPRS.

I get the same error messages using dial-up as people have gotten using the ISDN.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    No, dialup works fine - I'm on it right now. It's just the T-Mobile ISDN that is offline.

It's weird that they would leave the line up but not connected to anything. It's almost like somebody tripped over the cable from the modem to the router. Maybe somebody will plug it back in someday. :P

Thanks for the hints about pinging from the log - I had no idea those features were burried in there. Great find!

- Matt
    Dialup works fine for me after the GPRS upgrade just no T-Mobile ISDN.

Frank
    Originally posted by lynch
    Dial-up is not working either. Seems like the only way to access data now is to subscribe to GPRS.

I get the same error messages using dial-up as people have gotten using the ISDN.
    Make sure that you're not using the same connection profile that you use with the T-Mobile ISDN.
    I use a connection profile called VisorPhone that has the init string of:
    AT&FX4&W
    I was surprised to read this thread since I had used it several times over the weekend. I just logged on a minute ago and picked up my Hotmail with no problem. The only difference that I see from the instructions at the beginning of this thread is that I'm using primary DNS 65.161.188.100

Here are my settings:

System/Preferences/Connection
    ====================
    Configuration: Custom
    <edit>
    Name: T-Mobile ISDN
    Connection Method: Wiresless Modem to Modem
    Dialing: TouchTone
    Volume: Off
    HIGH
    <Details>
    Speed: 57,600 bps
    Flow Ctl: Automatic
    Init String: +cbst=71,0,1;

System/Preferences/Network
    ================
    Service: T-Mobile
    User Name: (enter a space)
    Password: (enter a space)
    Connection: T-Mobile ISDN
    Phone: 19132440821
    <Details>
    Connection type: PPP
    Idle timeout: 3 Minutes
    (not checked) Query DNS
    Primary DNS: 65.161.188.100
    Secondary DNS: (none)
    IP Address: Automatic
    P.S. - I haven't upgraded to GPRS.
    I was surprised to read this thread since I had used it several times over the weekend. I just logged on a minute ago and picked up my Hotmail with no problem. The only difference that I see from the instructions at the beginning of this thread is that I'm using primary DNS 65.161.188.100
    Too bad the rest of us aren't so fortunate...

What is listed for your Gateway address when you connect?

How are you checking your hotmail? Through Blazer of some other means?
    Hmmm, still getting those error messages using Blazer and One-Touch. It will connect on both but will not transfer data.

I had been using dial-up with no problems all the while but right after they announced the upgrade, I have not been able to transfer data. I didn't change any settings either.

I wonder if it is the area I am in: CT to Manhattan.
    I just checked and I'm able to dialup to my ISP and I upgraded to the GPRS patch and I am NOT on the GPRS plan with T-mobile.

I just went into my network settings, chose my usual ISP, hit 'Connect', brought up Blazer and voila....

Good luck
    Originally posted by Chameleon

Too bad the rest of us aren't so fortunate...

What is listed for your Gateway address when you connect?

How are you checking your hotmail? Through Blazer of some other means?
    Gateway Address 0.0.0.0

I'm using Blazer to acess Hotmail etc... all websites work just fine. I used Hotmail as a test to rule out that cached pages were appearing.

Since I'm dialing the same number as everybody else, why would my results be any different? The only difference that I can see is that I haven't upgraded to GPRS and I might be using a different DNS.
    Originally posted by bbaughman

The only difference that I can see is that I haven't upgraded to GPRS and I might be using a different DNS.
    Just noticed that you are using a Visorphone...so much for the theory that it is a GPRS upgrade problem. I can't be the only one out there that it is still working for. What could it be???
    Originally posted by robertruelan
    I just checked and I'm able to dialup to my ISP and I upgraded to the GPRS patch and I am NOT on the GPRS plan with T-mobile.

I just went into my network settings, chose my usual ISP, hit 'Connect', brought up Blazer and voila....

Good luck
    So you have upgraded to GPRS and your are not on a GPRS plan. I didn't know that was possible. How long has your Treo been this way? At least 1 billing cycle? If not, you might be in for a surprise when the bill comes around...

So anyway, you're using a regular ISP and can connect and transfer data. That's fine, so can the rest of us...
    The problem is with the VoiceStream (now T-Mobile) provided "ISDN" line/ISP.

Can you connect to that?
    Originally posted by bbaughman

Just noticed that you are using a Visorphone...so much for the theory that it is a GPRS upgrade problem. I can't be the only one out there that it is still working for. What could it be???
    Yeah, we are using the same DNS.

I believe you are the only one who is still able to use the service.
    Originally posted by Chameleon

So you have upgraded to GPRS and your are not on a GPRS plan. I didn't know that was possible. How long has your Treo been this way? At least 1 billing cycle? If not, you might be in for a surprise when the bill comes around...

So anyway, you're using a regular ISP and can connect and transfer data. That's fine, so can the rest of us...
    The problem is with the VoiceStream (now T-Mobile) provided "ISDN" line/ISP.

Can you connect to that?
    Just because you upgrade doesn't mean you have to pay anything... You actually have to sign up for the service for it to even work. Alot of us just installed it for the patches and new features...

I use dialup all the time and one day (when it's affordable) I'll use the GPRS

Joshua
    Originally posted by artemis125

Just because you upgrade doesn't mean you have to pay anything... You actually have to sign up for the service for it to even work. Alot of us just installed it for the patches and new features...

I use dialup all the time and one day (when it's affordable) I'll use the GPRS

Joshua
    Cool, then I'll tell my wife that I was wrong about the upgrade needing a GPRS account and that she can go ahead and apply it to her Treo 180.

I agree that the extra features are worth the upgrade.
    Would someone else mind posting their settings for dial-up? I tried the settings someone posted in this thread. Again, it connected but did not transfer data.

Anyone else still having this problem? I was dialing up no problem for for a long time. Now I have been without access for the past 3 weeks and can't take it anymore!

Thanks for any help.
    Not working for me at all any more...
    Won't even connect...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast