1.    #1  
    I don't find it worthwhile (economically) to pay for GPRS services with T-Mobile right now, but I went through the GPRS software install process so I could enjoy the new non-GPRS features included in the update.

A few notes:

- I think people are hitting the Handspring site hard! The download took a bit, even on a fast DSL connection.
    - The installation was very straightforward!
    - After hotsync'ing, I was a bit surprised to note how long it took for the Treo to update itself after being reset (1%...2%.... >5 minutes in total).
    - I was led through the typical setup again (tapping on the 'x' a few times, etc.), and then noticed that the time and country settings had been maintained, but that the date had been reset to Jan 1, 2002.
    - The new main phone screen (Quick Dial) displays the date and time... handy!
    - As others have noted, to get to Call Detail, you must do :menu: y now.
    - My carrier is correctly displayed as "T-Mobile" whereas before it had always said "Cingular Wireless" and "Roaming" when on here in San Francisco.
    - After the second hotsync, nearly all my apps were back and functioning fine, but BaseJet lost its preferences, and Vindigo had disappeared.
    - My Quick Dial entries were also restored to their former glory, but then, bummer, no more time and date on the Quick Dial screen.

Haven't chatted with anyone yet, so I don't know if this update did indeed cure or dramatically improve the echo problem, as others have claimed.

Well, that's about it! Bummer that I'm too cheap/stubborn to sign up for actual GPRS service at this point, and even a deeper bummer that T-Mobile and Cingular have such crappy plans currently.
    Originally posted by ThatAdamGuy

(snip)
    - My Quick Dial entries were also restored to their former glory, but then, bummer, no more time and date on the Quick Dial screen.

This one's easy to solve. Set "&time" (or "@time") and/or "&date" ("@date" also works) as the name of some entries in QD.
    I renamed "Voicemail" as "&time" (I don't need the date )

Haven't chatted with anyone yet, so I don't know if this update did indeed cure or dramatically improve the echo problem, as others have claimed.
    It did work for me. I've been using v1.1 since it came out, and noone has complained about the echo again.
  3.    #3  
    Ah, forgot about the @time and @date trick!

I learned a couple of things from trying this, by the way:

- Renaming Voicemail to @time resulted in NOT having voicemail dialed when pushing that button. So I'm curious... since you mentioned about renaming your voicemail entry this way, how DO you dial Voicemail?

- @time @date doesn't work; can't combine the two on a single entry

- @meaningoflife doesn't do anything either.

And hey, cool to know that the echo prob has been solved! It had become a major problem for me, especially when calling friends in Europe!
    Adam,

did you loose your other internet connections?

Like you I want the upgrade, but am not planning to use the gprs part.

Can you still make a connection to your ISP? Did you have to re-enter the connection info.

Thanx.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  5.    #5  
    Hi Felipe,

This Earthlink CSD connection is the one and only one I had prior to the update, and it remained intact, without me having to make any updates or changes to settings.

Do know that it took several hot syncs for all my data to come back, though... contact data, application data, and settings, so be patient in this respect

Otherwise, I do really like the update. I just called a friend and she said I sounded great (er, I guess she meant my phone, but I can be hopeful, eh? ), and the non-GPRS new features are nice
    &date and &time display the date and time and also still allow you to program a speed dial into the button. @date and @time display the date and time but prevent you from using the speed dial entry (when you use the rocker it will skip over the entry).
  7.    #7  
    Ah, funky! Thanks for the clarification
    Originally posted by jposin
    &date and &time display the date and time and also still allow you to program a speed dial into the button. @date and @time display the date and time but prevent you from using the speed dial entry (when you use the rocker it will skip over the entry).
    Neat, I didn't know there was a difference between the two. I use &time, btw.