Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I read here that the GPRS upgrade was to be released today. Does anyone have an update on that?
    I just went to the download page, and it said "temporarily offline" which hopefully means that they're updating the page to include the US version! I'm crossing my fingers. I think there was another thread that said 9am Pacific time, which would be noon EST.
    I did notice that it was down last night.
    Their downloads page has been up all morning with no changes to the downloads.
  4.    #4  
    is this the right address for the HS updates? If it is, it was online just a couple of minutes ago with no update.

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...p?Type=Updates
    Originally posted by jcarey
    I read here that the GPRS upgrade was to be released today. Does anyone have an update on that?
    one of the early reports from comdex stated that it would be avilable today, but it you read the comdex story on this site it states next week as the release timeframe.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    this is such baloney...they're just stringing us along.
    I posted earlier in the week that the upgrade would be available today. I was told that it would be available probably around 9am ET / 6am PT.

My contact at HS left her number and said to call if it wasn't. I called and left a message. I'll let y'all know I hear anything.

Truthfully I really don't understand:
    1. Why the patch should effect warranty
    2. Why the carriers have a say in what HS releases
    3. Why so much secrecy around the whole thing. Heck, if HS made it known that "Carrier X" was holding up the works maybe we the public could help apply some pressure to that carrier.

Gonna hold out for the official release...I've waited this long!
    I spoke to a random tech support rep at Handspring and she said "GPRS in a few weeks, maybe." She wouldn't give me a firmer answer than that. What a crock. I'm almost at the point where I will flash it myself but I don't want to risk frying it, obviously.

If you hear anything different gkaatz, please post it here, I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.
    Hi all. I just spoke to my contact at HS (she's been great to work with).

All things are GO for Monday 9pm PST. The patch will be posted to the HS site and the TMobile site at that time.

Let's hope it's for real this time!
  10. rsh
    I will restate my earlier reply from another thread...I'll believe it when I see it. Hey, maybe the US carriers will also launch $10/mo unlimited data on Monday too.....yea sure they will.
    Distributed Folding for [H]umanity
    Join [H]ard|OCP's Team Today at
    http://www.hardforum.com
    Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin' into the future...
    Can it really be true --- GPRS will be made available in communist China before it is available in North America......?

Who will get this upgrade next.......Iraq?
    What about Cingular?

P.S. I am so irritated with Handspring, I'll probably never buy a product from them again. Jeff Hawkins' COMDEX address (from last year) is full of 100% absolute lies about the Treo's capabilities. I almost recommended the Treo as an enterprise solution for my company. I'm glad I bought three untis for my team to play with first, as I would have made a complete fool of myself otherwise.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.
    Score: Me 1, GPRS 1, T-Mobile 0

So I got fed up with waiting for GPRS on my 180 with t-mobile and I installed the non-authorized upgrade tonight. Fortunately, it worked as advertised. Then I called t-mobile to get my GPRS account set up. The guy knew exactly what I had done (with the unauthorized upgrade) and signed me up for a 2MB account. At least t-mobile is letting people with "non-supported" hardware sign up for the service. I haven't used the internet part of it yet but hopefully it'll work well tomorrow.
    Originally posted by DiAngelo
    Can it really be true --- GPRS will be made available in communist China before it is available in North America......?

Who will get this upgrade next.......Iraq?
    This is a sad and ridiculous comment...
    You know that Comdex announcement? It was reported this way:

Palm OS licensee Handspring Inc. later this week will announce U.S. availability of GPRS (general packet radio service) support for its Treo device."

So call me a meanie cynic, but I'm indeed predicting an announcement as promised:

[Dated 11/25] Handspring is proud to announce the definitive tentative U.S. availability of GPRS for its Treo devices on March 1, 2003.

"We're excited to be offering this wonderful new feature for our customers," gushed Jeff Hawkins hypothetically, "And we're confident that it will dramatically enhance our customers' user experience."

Remember, people, you heard it here first!

What? You thought an announcement date was the same thing as an availability date? Ho ho ho!

What? You thought an announcement date was the same thing as an availability date? Ho ho ho!

I hate them.
    evidently you didn't read the article here closely enough, b/c it clearly stated that the upgrade was announced to be available early NEXT week, which, now, is tomorrow!
    Originally posted by treo270nc
    evidently you didn't read the article here closely enough, b/c it clearly stated that the upgrade was announced to be available early NEXT week, which, now, is tomorrow!

Woohoo!!!
    I just called T-Mobile for an issue not related to GPRS (changed number of rings before voicemail from 6 to 4), but decided to throw in a GPRS query tonight anyway.

I had to be forwarded to a technician person who told me three things:

1) All T-Mobile staff received a bulletin informing them that the Handspring Treo (and GPRS) would be supported as of 11/25/02 (Monday).

2) There will be new "better" plans to take advantage of the GPRS availability.

3) She has no further information at this time.

"Call back tomorrow," she said, "And ask for a Tier 1 or Tier 2 technician."

She couldn't, alas, say WHAT time this new stuff'd be available. Someone noted here that the release was scheduled for 9pm PST, however.

But anyway, barring strange and/or unfortunate circumstances, it seems that the skepticism in my earlier note may have been unwarranted.

So anyway, I advise people to call T-Mobile in waves tomorrow (Monday) so that we can get the relevant info posted up here the minute it's announced and available

People whose last names start with: Call at (PST):
    ABC 2pm
    DEF 3pm
    GHI 4pm
    JKL 5pm
    MNO 6pm
    PQRS 7pm
    TUV 8pm
    WXYZ 9pm
    1, *, 0, or # 10pm
    unsure or decline to state 11pm

That should cover all bases, I think!

Oh, and I'm not really serious about the calling directions. Okay, maybe not TOTALLY serious
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast