Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ilovedessert
  • 1 Post By deduce
  • 1 Post By un_designer
  • 1 Post By Spade
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I glad the DOJ is seeking to block this merger.

take care,

jay

August 31, 2011, 10:56 am
    Mergers & Acquisitions
    U.S. Moves to Block AT&T Merger with T-Mobile
    By DEALBOOK

U.S. Moves to Block AT&T Merger with T-Mobile - NYTimes.com

The Justice Department filed a complaint on Wednesday to block AT&Tís proposed $39 billion acquisition of T-Mobile, a deal that would create the largest carrier in the country and reshape the industry.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    BobKy likes this.
    You are always quick to post these great articles. Keep up the great work.

I'm glad the DOJ is getting involved. The only problem is that DT isn't investing into T-Mobile USA and I'm not sure who else will want to buy the company. I keep hearing Sprint but wouldn't that still diminish the quality of competition in the US. At least T-Mobile would still gain roaming access plus cash if this deal falls through, hopefully T-Mobile can still convince customers they're not a dying company if the deal doesn't go through.
    ilovedessert likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by deduce View Post
    You are always quick to post these great articles. Keep up the great work.

I'm glad the DOJ is getting involved. The only problem is that DT isn't investing into T-Mobile USA and I'm not sure who else will want to buy the company. I keep hearing Sprint but wouldn't that still diminish the quality of competition in the US. At least T-Mobile would still gain roaming access plus cash if this deal falls through, hopefully T-Mobile can still convince customers they're not a dying company if the deal doesn't go through.
    Hi all,

If the deal DOESN'T GO THRU I believe T-Mobile gets about $3 BILLION from AT&T as well as a piece of AT&T's spectrum....that will help T-Mobile to try and make on it's own or at one point Sprint wanted T-Mobile...although I agree with you...that would also cut down on competition and raise the rates!

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I'm cautiously optimistic that the deal will be stopped. The last thing we need right now in the wireless industry is to go back to a duopoly of AT&T and Verizon. They're both raping their customers out the a** as it is already, I can't imagine what else they'd get away with.
    ilovedessert likes this.
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deduce View Post
    The only problem is that DT isn't investing into T-Mobile USA and I'm not sure who else will want to buy the company. I keep hearing Sprint but wouldn't that still diminish the quality of competition in the US.
    Because Sprint is significantly smaller--measured by # of subscribers or size of network--than either AT&T or Verizon, merging with T-Mobile USA would level the overall playing field much more than AT&T buying T-Mo. Instead of creating an effective duopoly (AT&T 1st, Verizon a close 2nd and Sprint such a distant 3rd they couldn't compete--at least, that's what Sprint has claimed), we'd have a three-way split (triopoly?). Going down from 4 to 3 would still diminish competition somewhat, just not as much as with the AT&T/T-Mo merger.

The other possibility (that I know of, anyway) would be some sort of Wall Street-type investor group buying T-Mo and selling it off once it's profitable, as has been done for companies in all sorts of industries. The upside is that T-Mo could then work out a deal to use LightSquared's spectrum the way Sprint is doing--which is the only way right now that I see for T-Mo to get something going for 4G. $3 billion may or may not be enough for that.

On the upside, we may finally be getting to the point where all the US carriers--the national ones, anyway, with regional ones and subsidiaries like Nextel following--will all be on one technology standard with a common frequency range. That will both help T-Mobile's subscribers, since they won't have to do without 3G/4G to use an unlocked phone, and help standardize radios and bring down some of the component costs.
    AT&T has 97 million subscribers
    Verizon has 101 million.

Sprint has 51 million.
    T-Mobile has 33 million.

Unfortunately, T-Mobile is GSM and Sprint is CDMA. As has been pointed out, the previous Sprint/Nextel merger (of non-compatible networks) didn't go well. Sprint probably doesn't want to make the same mistake twice in 10 years.
    If Sprint thinks they can make T-Mobile profitable, the GSM/CDMA difference won't matter. They wouldn't be the first carrier in the world to operate using both technologies. They already operate CDMA and iDEN (Nextel).
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Perhaps Sprint doesn't think it can make TM profitable?

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-nor...mers-flee.html
    Who knows. AT&T tried to buy them to block Sprint from buying them, so maybe they know something we don't. And with all the concessions T-Mo would get as a result of the deal falling through, seems like it would make them an even more attractive purchase.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Who knows. AT&T tried to buy them to block Sprint from buying them, so maybe they know something we don't. And with all the concessions T-Mo would get as a result of the deal falling through, seems like it would make them an even more attractive purchase.
    Hi all,

The last time S tried merging with another company they hemorrhaged money and customers....the outcome is that S is a much smaller firm.

S expected they would get rid of the iDen network completely and now they are forced to have to have two...It PO the iDen customers no end....

I would also think it must be very expensive to maintain 2 techs...

But then again, it only IMHO!

take care,

Jay
    This news today makes me slightly regain respect for the government protecting consumers against giant companies.

Time will tell but my guess is that AT&T will pay off some republicans to get the Justice Dept off their back. I hope I'm wrong.
    ilovedessert likes this.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    Time will tell but my guess is that AT&T will pay off some republicans to get the Justice Dept off their back. I hope I'm wrong.
    Hi & thank you...I try very hard to remain apolitical on this site, however I'm a very outspoken liberal Dem, (Hay I was born in Brooklyn and grew up in Queens, that explains all), but I loved your comment.

Take care,

Jay
  13. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    There's another key difference between the Sprint/Nextel merger and the possibility of one between them and T-Mobile. While Sprint's network has been CDMA, they've already jumped ship on that to deploy WiMAX--and found that that wouldn't go anywhere--and since then announced an agreement with LightSquared. LightSquared, remember, is deploying an LTE (GSM-based technology) network. So while Sprint and T-Mo would be coming from different types of networks, they'd have a common path forward set up already, as opposed to the Sprint/Nextel merger where they had to create one (that didn't work out so well).

I'm not arguing for or against this--just discussing the possibility.
    [QUOTE=BobKy;3121623]Perhaps Sprint doesn't think it can make TM profitable?

[URL]

TMobile is already profitable.

They also have the best rated customer service and the lowest price natuonal plans.

The reason why they are seeing aa decline in subscribers is that they don't have the iPhone,which is what built ATT subscribership over the last 4 years.

If the merger is blocked, DT gets $3 B in cash and $4 B in additional spectrum which would make TMO USA much more compeitive coverage wise in the USA.

This could ba a real game changer.

IF the DOJ is serious about this and they and the FCC are truly teaming up to block it.