1.    #1  
    Folks, I called the number listed in another thread to complain about the GPRS patch not being ready for the US. I just heard from a Handspring employee (who called me back) that the US release should be this Friday. I was told to check the web site after 6am Pacific Time.

We'll see!
    I think the US GPRS update will finally be released real soon.

eWeek article says:

Palm OS licensee Handspring Inc. later this week will announce U.S. availability of GPRS (general packet radio service) support for its Treo device.

and Treocentral reports Handspring will release early next week

and you heard from someone at handspring that it will be released this friday.
    It was confirned in the COMDEX article on Treo|central's homepage.
    Bob
  4. rsh
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    Distributed Folding for [H]umanity
    Join [H]ard|OCP's Team Today at
    http://www.hardforum.com
    Ditto...

Believe it when it's been loaded on my treo and I haven't voided my warrenty.

Hell, maybe it will screw up this treo and I'll get a 4th unit.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    hey all. Wanted to see what everyone thinks about overlaying the 1.1 patch w/ the US GPRS patch.......foresee any problems?

I think I'm going to....just to have the real thing (with all the updates)........unless, of course, someone thinks it may fry the thing.

Thanks!
    treoo0
    TreoGirl, where are you? Are they right?
    This is good timing for me if true. This way I can do the upgrade before I put my 270 on eBay. I still like it quite a bit but I am surprised at how much more I like the TMo PocketPC (XDA). YMMV but I'm glad I switched. I'll be watching closely too for the release of the GSM/GPRS enabled iPaq 5000 series for another possible trade.

TM
    Release is now confirmed by Handspring for early next week. See Comdex update.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    the handspring rep stated that echo reduction is a major part of the current GPRS update. That can read 2 ways - any idea which "current" he/she is talking about? 1.1, or the soon-to-be US release?
    The existing ones.
    Is the echo reduction issue relating to making a phone call while on speakerphone? Or a handsfree headset call issue?
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I think it is refering to the speakerphone echo....
    I'm guessing that "echo reduction" means the common echo problem that the digital cell service folks have been having for some time.

I thought it was solved with echo cancelling equipment at the cell-phone towers, but maybe there is something in the phone that can prevent it.

Is there a telephony person out there who might know more?...
    Hi there,
    I'm a telephony type person. However echo cancelation isn't really something i know a whole lot about. So I'm digging here..

On a traditional land line, phone lines are 2 wire circuits (literally use 2 wires). Trunk connections (connections between switches) are 4 wire connections (TX and RX on seperate connections). The transition from 2-wire to 4-wire occurs in a device called a hybrid. If the impedence of the hybrid isn't balanced properly, you get echo.

Now typically, if you hear echo, the problem is on the OTHER side of the circuit. In other words, that's your voice traveling all the way to it's destination, hitting the hybrid over there and then little bits of the signal getting reflected back to you (thus the delay). So very frequently in a phone call, only one person hears the echo and it's the person who doesn't hear it's phone company's fault.

Now on the trunk side, I think this 2 to 4-wire conversion happens when phone lines terminate onto digital trunks. Which means that it is possible that it could be something at the MTSO (Mobile Telephone Switching Office). However since the signal is digital all the way back to your handset, I think it's unlikely that this is where the problem is.. The echo could be caused by the telephone switching equipment attached to your call destination, OR it could be the result of a poor analog to digital conversion in your handset. I'm sure there are probably a lot of other atmospheric effects that can cause echo as well, but I'm not an RF guy (I'm an fiber optic guy). Now it is possible with software to "cancel echo". This is typically done by looking for a copy of a transmitted waveform exisiting in the receive path and then canceling that signal. It's typically an "expensive" (think resource intensive) process. So I'm not sure what the upgrade could really do. The function (IMHO) is better suited in hardware.

Be careful not to associate "speakerphone echo" with feedback. Having a speaker and a microphone close to each other can create a feedback loop that can sound like echo.

Anyway, that's my interpretation. And I've warned you that I'm not an expert in this matter. So If someone would like to correct me, I'm an excellent, and humble, learner.
    -Brett