1.    #1  
    Hello
    Does anyone have the new gprs 2 updater? Rogers calls it gprs 2, the last one posted for Europe was called gprs 1.1, no? Yesterday and today I downloaded the Mac version form Roger's site many times and I could newer unstuff the .sit file. It is corrupt, I tried with different browsers, under OS X or OS9, nothing helps. Those idiots at Rogers can't even make a stuffit file. I asked them yesterday to fix it, nothing was fixed yesterday or today, they made me hold 45 mins this morning and than told me that they'll call me back and of course they did not call. To make things worse, their website is not responding to anything now, it's been down for hours

So if comeone could email me all the the .prc files (either from a mac or a PC) the installer would upload onto the Treo, I could than do the update. I have no faith in Rogers to be able to fix it in the next year or so.

thanks, my email is ttres@mac.com
    Tom
    Funny, I had no problem downloading and installing Rogers "Version 2". I also just checked their web site and it seems to be working normally.

The upgrade executable is a large file (can't really e-mail it) and you are well advised to follow the upgrade process exactly as specified. But, it should work fine.

When I was done, the "Phone Info" section of my Treo reported:

Firmware Rev: 534a09gg.3
    Software Rev: v3.5.2H5.6
    Product Rev: GPRS 1.1

i.e., the "Version 2" Rogers claims is just a tiny bit premature. I know the Rogers Customer Service is not great, but you shouldn't really need them to help you.
    Sorry, I should have mentioned I used the Windows, not Mac version, of the upgrade. So all my comments may be completely inapplicable to your situation.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by Kanuck
    Sorry, I should have mentioned I used the Windows, not Mac version, of the upgrade. So all my comments may be completely inapplicable to your situation.
    if you were able to extract the files which are installed in the Treo, could you email them to me?

I also downloaded the Windows file and ran it under Virtual PC, but I have no idea where the installer/wizard puts the files
    I don't know enough about Macs to be of much help. The Windows executable loads a large program on to your Treo (hence the need for 6.7MB free) which then runs, updates everything, and then deletes itself. Running this in some kind of Windows emulation mode on a Mac sounds risky given the touchy nature of the upgrade.

Have you looked at

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...&highlight=Mac

It may help.
    The European version number is exactly the same. You should just download the upgrade from a European Handspring site if you are still having problems.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by paulweiss
    The European version number is exactly the same. You should just download the upgrade from a European Handspring site if you are still having problems.
    I was just going to post my solution:

I downloaded the gprs 1.1 OS X updater from Handspring's website and it unstuffed fine and it gave me one file called "Treo GPRS Software Upgrade". Running it creates a folder called "Treo GPRS Upgrade" and starts running App of the same name. After few clicks it complains something about Fido not supporting gprs (bull) and quits. That's fine. There was a folder "Handspring" inside of the "Treo GPRS Upgrade" folder and I dragged all the files inside into the Palm desktop 4 installer window and did a synch, which installed all the files and reset the Treo and flashed the rom. Another synch restored the treo contents. Make sure that you delete all the updater files from your backup folder if they were backed up in there during the 1st synch.

The installed version is the same as what Kanuck posted on this thread, using the Rogers updater for Windoze.

GPRS works fine with Fido, same settings as gprs 1, I don't see any difference. One difference I do see is that the call history button is now gone and you have to drop the menu down using the keyboard or click in the menu bar and hit y. It's not a big deal, but it was easier before to hit the phone button 4 times to get to the history window.

Onew thing Handspring still did not fix - the braindead inability to list the Contacts by company, you still can only list them by 1st or last name. Helo Handspring - who uses an expensive Treo - people with hundreds of friends, who can't be without them even for an hour or business people who have hundreds of company contacts they need to have with them? Try to find someone if you don't remember their name, only company name. Even Palm had this better - you could list by last name or company name. I guess, catering to families and home marker is much more lucrative for Handspring than catering to companies.
    Last edited by tomm; 11/09/2002 at 10:23 PM.