Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Calling all US GPRS wannabees...

Let's get some answers. Pick up the phone right now and dial Handspring's corporate headquarters at (650) 230-5000. Complain to senior people and see if any of them give us some details.

The more of us that do this, the more likely it will be they will act...
    Dude, just install the software. It's better for your blood pressure.
    Yea, I don't really care anymore about when the upgrade comes out because 1.1 is doing me just fine.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    I'm guessing the delay at this point is probably quality. Since installing 1.1 Update, my treo has behaved very buggy. It locks up much more than ever before. The GPRS networking also seems to grab the CPU for extended periods of time, leaving me to wait 1-2 minutes before the keyboard responds again. This may have something to do with carrier-specific GPRS implementations, or then again, may just be buggy firmware from Handspring.

I personally support Handspring in waiting to release this, although I certainly agree that they are rapidly loosing their "cutting edge" over competitors.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Good points all...

I have already installed 1.0 and then 1.1. I found 1.1 to be better than 1.0 in many respects, though I agree it is buggy.

I especially don't like the fatal exception I get every morning after having received numerous SMS messages.

However, I don't like being out of warranttee. I don't like having to hide the fact that I have a treo to TMobile support. These sound like small issues, but they aren't so small. We paid quite a bit for this little device-- why should we ever feel that we are "stealing" something.

I think Handspring has mismanaged this whole thing., perhaps in the way they negotiated with TMobile, but mismanaged nonetheless.

Call them. Make them disclose what is going on. You deserve it.
    v1.1 works fine. I'm not call Handspring, I'm calling T-Mobile. They're the ones who are really holding up the US GPRS upgrade.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    TMobile has no reason to do anything for you. They currently don't support the Treo GPRS, they have never supported it, and you knew that when you signed on.

Handspring, however, owes you something. You bought the product from them, with an understanding that GPRS would be released. They promised it several times and did not come through.

While it is ultimately TMobiles fault, it is Handspring that is in the position to give you answers.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    i've got to agree with kramsauer, just follow the instructions on this site and download it. it works. don't expect any support for the Treo since they don't officially support it in any way...check their website, try to find it mentioned on there. i'd say since HS has already successfully released this upgrade elsewhere, that it must work, that leaves the burden on the North American providers. Think about it, when was the last time North America was a "leader" in mobile phone technology?!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Install the upgrade! BTW, T-
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    What I was trying to say is that T-Mobile knows the Treo is working. I have demoed mine to a number of T-Mobile sales and support staff, and have even helped a data guy get info to set up his own Treo.
    If someone wrote a hack making it possible to undo the upgrade I would do it in a second. Or even a method to open up the phone and zap the flash RAM so you could reprogram it. It just isn't worth turning my phone into a hockey puck if something goes wrong.
    Originally posted by synthetic
    If someone wrote a hack making it possible to undo the upgrade I would do it in a second. Or even a method to open up the phone and zap the flash RAM so you could reprogram it...
    JackSprat

Been using 1.0 for a few months now. Making a backup of my original ROM helped with my piece of mind in making the switch.

Nonetheless, I have become a SideKick convert.

Good Luck.
    Geo