1.    #1  
    Anyone know how to fix this? I was working fine for about 2 days, but now all i get is this error msg:

Error: Connection
    timed out. Please try
    again. (0x1231)

Any suggestions on how to fix this?
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    If you're using T-Mo, then they are having problems with their system, for now I can't get through GPRS OR dial-up from my 180g. The promised me it would be working by Thursday and put a credit on my account.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I just ran out of patience, yesterday (11/05/02), and installed the unsupported US patch for T-Mobile. Called T-Mobile and had GPRS (T-Mobile Internet) applied to my account.

My 180 shows the filled-in triangle, but I'm not connecting. Can you see the triangle even when your account is not completly set up? (T-Mobile told me up to 72 hours).

Anyone else not connecting w/ T-Mobile currently? I'm using the "T-Mobile Internet" connection in my network preferences. I've also tried creating my own connection, using their APN, but get the same error messages (PPP Authentication error).

COLOR=royalblue]Treo Rules, Big business jump rope does not! Release the D*MN patch already!! At least give us a freakin' date to look forward to...[/COLOR]
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I just connected and ran a couple of internet apps... no problems. I am in Alexandria, VA
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Thanks for the VA update.
    I'm in Atlanta, GA and still have the stated problems.

From the handspring website(http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...520&ResType=il), I see I am "GPRS Connected," with the little triangle.

Am I crazy? Anyone know what's up in Atlanta, GA? ...completely out of patience on this end.....

PS - I've been visiting TreoCentral for 2 weeks now. Great Site!!
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    If you added the internet service on the 5th (yesterday) you might want to give it some more time. I too added the internet service to my Tampa, FL (ATL native though!!) account yesterday and just this morning did it work. Just like magic! I didn't have to do anything different on my Treo. Using the built-in T-Mo internet setting and it's worked great all day. So it could be that they just haven't "flipped the switch" yet on your account.

I too was getting the little triangle symbol even when i couldn't connect, so take that as a sign that the upgrade worked! Now when i actually connect the triangle gets bigger and engulfs the little tower symbol.

I say give it one more day. Are you still able to connect using the wireless modem setting?
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Randyg.....that was the exact info I was looking for! Thanks. I will give it a little longer.

As for still being able to connect via wireless internet (I think you mean using an ISP dialup #), I don't have a dialup # w/ my ATT broadband home account, so.......don't know.
    If I'm not mistaken , I'm pretty sure that ATT Broadband added back the ability to dial up the internet away from your broadband connection. Check with customer support page should have some info there.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    you're right, Miller. Thanks for the info. Looks like they added it back around the end of Sep. (2 hours dialup per month, through PeoplePC.....better than none).

Hopefully GPRS will be working tomorrow, so I won't need the dialup

It's good to know about, or at least have as a back up!

Greg
  11.    #12  
    also... the more i think about my service experience and this carrier id thing the more im logically working out what the problem may be with my GPRS service in my area.

here's my best guess:

I think my problem has to do with the carrier id situation i metioned on the discussion board. T-Mo was giving me GPRS on friday and saturday no problem but on sunday afternoon when i started to get that AT&T carrier ID - and i was surfing GPRS no problem with it - I guess that wasnt supposed to happen.

My take is that when T-Mo figured out that people were "migrating" onto the AT&T network they had to take down the GPRS all together until they get a fix.

I notice the handset has a network select feature, and it shows all avail networks. For me its usually: att wireless and voicestream

I think T-Mo was making changes to the network configuration so the Carrier ID reads T-Mobile instead of Voicestream; and when they did this, they didnt tighten things up to prevent users from using/migrating to the att network. When they noticed they couldnt control/prevent the t-mo customers from using ATT they took it down. Funny though when i call them (t-mo) they say GPRS is up and running. Im still not sure...just taking a best guess.
  12.    #13  
    Ok. Well Im on T-Mo and my dial up has been working ok. I connect to Earthlink in mostly the New York City and Westchester markets. Ive benn trying GPRS and when that times out. I go to dial up and get a very stable connection in my markets. I tried today no GPRS but dialup is ok.

On the GPRS side. I have been getting the same error msg:

Error: Connection
    timed out. Pease try
    again. (0x1231)

Also ive noticed that the carrier ID in the upper left of my phone has been a little weired since the upgrade. Once it said T-Mobile another time it said AT&T Wireless and now it just says VoiceStream. On the T-Mobile instance when i would try to connect to GPRS it would just say canceling. With AT&T Wireless that was when I got GPRS and also got GPRS with a VoiceStream carrier ID.

Im back to VoiceStream now though with timeouts..
  13.    #14  
    GPRS Attached...what does this mean?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You have gprs capabilites on your phone but your not logged into the service. When logged in, the little triangle will get large and lay over the antenna graphic.
    I'm not sure if it's there because the network is seeing it or it's there because your treo is simply configured for it....
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    the triangle is there because your treo 'sees' that the network is gprs, and your phone is capable.

PS - I still can't connect to T-Mobile. I'll give it one more day before I call t-mobile. ONe question: If I call T-Mobile, what phone should I tell them I'm using?

I want GPRS
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    I'm not sure if it's there because the network is seeing it or it's there because your treo is simply configured for it....
    I believe it means that your sim card is correctly provisioned for GPRS service and this is the way Treo's firmware reflects it. However, if you still are not able to log on to the internet (use blazer or treo mail successfully) then you may want to check with your carrier if the APN is correctly provisioned other possibility may be that you do not have big enough data minutes plan.