1.    #1  
    Hi,

just received word from a german support man that the security app is broken after a GPRS update. Can anybody confirm that?

In my unit the 'lock & off' button is missing. I'm using GPRS patch 1.1.

By the way, the support guy said that Handspring is trying to fix the problem with the next update! So there is more to come...

anderas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
  2. :-)
    Hey,

Yup! my lock button is gone aswell.
    late!
    The reason they removed this feature is because of safety - imagine you were in an accident and the only phone available was your Treo with the lock feature on. Noone could call 911 for help without your password. The Treo 300 does not have the turn-off and lock feature either for this reason.

I hope that Only Me or one of those other applications is capable of being updated to allow a 911 friendly security feature.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    The reason they removed this feature is because of safety - imagine you were in an accident and the only phone available was your Treo with the lock feature on. Noone could call 911 for help without your password. The Treo 300 does not have the turn-off and lock feature either for this reason.

I hope that Only Me or one of those other applications is capable of being updated to allow a 911 friendly security feature.
    Man, that is far fetched!

I imagine being in an accident and your average joe finds my treo180. 8 out of 10 people (i guess) wouldn't even know that it's a regular phone or how to place a call with it!

And who cares if there is a functional phone on the scene? Sure it's a neat helper in times like this. But ten years ago they didn't have phones either.

On the other hand it's more likely that my treo gets (even temporarely) into hands that shouldn't have access to it. That's when I'd rather have it locked.

I've heard it from German support that the missing button is a bug and they're looking into fixin it with the next patch release. Wouldn't surprise me if the US GPRS patch would have a button again.

andreas

Bah. The feeble security feature on Palm devices can easily be bypassed anyhow. I use a third partyy program (PDA Defense) that has encryption. And i thin any ***** would knwo that the Treo is a phone once they flip the lid.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    I think what he was saying is why would someone flip the lid in the first place? And if they did, they would get a speed dial list, not the dial-pad.

Everyone who has seen mine doesn't know what it is, nevermind if people were panicked at the scene of an accident.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by yardie
    Bah. The feeble security feature on Palm devices can easily be bypassed anyhow.
    How do you do that? The treo is my first PDA so I don't know much about it. Can you provide a link or a short description so that I can evaluate how secure the security really is? You can send me a PM if you don't fell confortable posting it on the forum. Thanx

And i thin any ***** would knwo that the Treo is a phone once they flip the lid.
    According to the button thread alot of us changed that behaviour. If any ***** would flip open a treo it's most likely that he/she'll see an ebook/an email client/ a launcher/ Bejewled/...enterYourFavouritAppHere...

Do a search for "ByPass Palm Password" (minus the quotes) at www.google.com.

Originally posted by treopolis

How do you do that? The treo is my first PDA so I don't know much about it. Can you provide a link or a short description so that I can evaluate how secure the security really is? You can send me a PM if you don't fell confortable posting it on the forum. Thanx

My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?