1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if there is a way to send special characters in the Treo's sms program, such as italics, or bold, or even foreign characters? Maybe with a third-party application? Thanks for your assistance.

Andrew
    Originally posted by Andrew-NYC
    Does anyone know if there is a way to send special characters in the Treo's sms program, such as italics, or bold, or even foreign characters? Maybe with a third-party application? Thanks for your assistance.

Andrew
    I don't know, but it seems highly unlikely. SMS has been around for a long time, and was born for dot-matrix phone displays (which obviously could not draw "pretty" chars). SMS is a very basic plain-text protocol (albeit recent phones do add some binary stuff like images and ringtones).
    It's possible to use EMS (which works over SMS) to draw nicer text, but there's no EMS software for Treo, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Hmmm. Seems that it doesn't work. I tried to send "Com licença, mas Spyder tem razão não é?" but I only received "Com licena, mas Spyder tem razo no é?"

Strange that it should allow some characters (é) but not others (ç or ã). I wonder if this is a limitation of SMS in general or just the SMS software included in Treo.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks all. I can get foreign letters & symbols by going into the keyboard mode, but it seems there is no way to get italics or bold. That would be an improvement, if someone could develop a way to do it. Maybe on the next Treo?

Andrew