1.    #1  
    You guys have been GREAT! I'm not the most technically saavy, but by following the FAQ and Guide, installed gprs and works flawlessly in Columbus, OH, using T-Mobile!

I'd like to try to use Network Hotsync, over the internet, using GPRS. I did a search on the msg board, but I really need a 'walkthru', step by step (as i said - not the most saavy).

Has anyone tried this, or got is to work?

By the way - i'm in a small office, have a router and zonealarm as a firewall. Basejet works for me (seems like magic) and I didin't have to open any ports, or whatever.

Any help appreciated!
    R. Evan Stevens
  2.    #2  
    anyone?
    R. Evan Stevens
  3.    #3  
    any help at all?
    R. Evan Stevens
  4. :-)
    Hey,

From my experience it's best to have a static internet routable IP to reliably do a network/internet Hot Sync or its kind of complicated.

In your case:
    You will have to forward selected traffic from the internet through your router to you comp on your internal network. To do so you will have to figure out what port is used for the network hot sync (I currently don't know what port is used for network hot sync, but we can find out).

On the router at the office you will then need to forward that port to your internal IP and open up the port on your fire wall as well. This is so the treo can make an inbound connection to your comp.

Then you will have to know the external IP assigned to your router for internet access. If this is a dynamic IP you will have to know what is at the time you sync, due to the fact that it changes. If this IP is static it will make life allot easier for you.

I know you mentioned not being so savvy. If you think this is something you want to try I can go in to more detail. All of the above is just so that your treo can "find" you computer on the internet.

I on the other hand have my computer configured with an internet routable static IP, thus eliminating all the steps above. The networking part is way more complicated than configuring the Network (internet) hot sync.

With either computer configured with a static IP or after all the steps above are complete. All you have to do is:

Go in the hot sync program on the treo-options menu-modem sync prefs set it to network. That way it knows you are doing it over the internet and not modem to modem, witch will not work over GPRS but will work over CSD dial up.

Then still in the hot sync program go in to Options menu-primary pc setup and enter the name IP and subnet mask of target PC. This would be the pc with your hot sync setup on it or the router that has the appropriate pot forwarded to the target PC.

On your pc you have to go to the hot sync manager on the sys tray and right click and enable network by making sure its has a check by it. This makes the hot sync manager a server so it will accept connection from the network. Indecently you also have to set hot sync manager as a server if you are running a firewall.

Finally when ever you want to do a network hot sync: In the hot sync program on the treo, change local/modem toggle to modem and select the internet connection you want to use below (GPRS, dial up, ect...) and hit the hot sync button. Don't forget to change it back to local when you do a direct hot sync with the USB cable. All the other settings you changed only refer to the network sync. The network hot sync will be considerably slower do the fact it is limited by the speed of you connection to the internet.
    late!
    The above writeup is good. I'd like to add some information though, and my experiences with doing network hotsync on the treo 300 through a firewall.

The device first sends a UDP packet to port 14237. The server's response to this packet is important, as it includes an IP address within it's payload. Unfortunately, this is where things breakdown if your desktop is behind a firewall.

The desktop's UDP packet will have it's "LAN" IP rather than the firewall's. The device will use this IP address for further communications, and will fail. I believe this UDP nonsense to be a method of hotsync redirection.. which I suppose is a cool feature, though to workaround this feature is a real pain.

What you'll have to do is write your own UDP packet responder to run on your firewall box. In my case, all I did was reflect back the same packet, except that I changed one byte from a 0x01 to a 0x02. I've attached the source to my program in case you want to see how to do it in your own software.

Assuming you get the UDP packet worked out. Then the device will make a TCP connection to port 14238. Hurray!!! You are home free right?!? Well, nope.

At this point you will find that after every network hotsync, your Primary PC Address setting will be changed to your desktop's LAN IP. Wouldn't you know it, I spent another 5 hours coding a stream-modifying proxy which changed the embedded IP. THEN I searched USENET to find a much simpler solution.

Turns out that what you need to do is set the Primary PC Name setting on the device to "!!" (no quotes though). That will prevent it from overwriting your Primary PC Address setting after each hotsync.

There still is one little issue. At this point I can wirelessly network hotsync from my treo 300. But if I do a USB hotsync -- (which btw I don't have to change any settings, just push the cable button) -- the desktop will ask a stupid question like "Do you want me to keep your IP" or some crap so I have to hit Y on the PC for it to continue. Very annoying, but harmless.
    Attached Files Attached Files