Hi all,

FYI.

Take care,

Jay

States weigh in on AT&T-T-Mobile merger
    by Kent German,
    June 14, 2011 1:11 PM PDT

States weigh in on AT&T-T-Mobile merger | Dialed In - CNET Blogs

Almost three months to the day since AT&T first announced its $39 billion bid for T-Mobile, federal scrutiny of the deal is well under way. AT&T has filed its paperwork with the Federal Communications Commission, the public is weighing in on the FCC's Web site, and opponents and supporters are lining up.

Though the U.S. Senate has held hearings as well, only the Department of Justice and the FCC have the official power to approve or deny the merger. AT&T does not have to seek formal approval at the state level, but state governments can make the transaction more complicated if they bring antitrust lawsuits or pass on negative feedback to the FCC. And as CNET's Maggie Reardon has reported, states have extensive oversight over communications through the regulation of rates, cell tower placement, and consumer complain
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Thanks, Jay.

This is where the "pedal hits the metal" - where we find out just how much AT&T lobbying influence has been able to inderectly get to the FCC and DOJ (AT&T lobbies congress and the senate.. that's where bills that set policies for funding government department and operations are made, and THAT is how, I believe, AT&T has worked this so that they have confidence in getting this through.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein