1.    #1  
    One thing I really disliked about Blazer and EudoraWeb was their inability to download and install Palm binaries.

Just tried the same with Xiino, and it works! Very handy for those times that I have to delete AIM when it flakes out and gives me that chunk-reset error. I can just download and reinstall it and not need to be by my laptop. (Though a little more expensive given GPRS charges...)

Very nice. Think I'll be paying for this one.

Thanks,
    johnny0

For those former Newton users out there -- is there any equivalent of freezing a package on the Palm?
    Treo 270 / Cingular
    What website do you download from that doesn't have their files .zip'd?
  3.    #3  
    AOL doesn't have their AIM package zipped.

http://ftp.newaol.com/aim/palm/aim11.prc

But you're right in that a hell of a lot do, which is pretty stupid in my opinion.

Now, if Xiino could handle unzipping files... )

-johnny0
    Treo 270 / Cingular
  4. kin
    Yes Xiino can handle zip files, jpegs etc. The design is that files it can't handle is done with outside programs. So load up with an unzipping program for the Palm such as HandZipper and you're set.

One weird thing, Xiino can't seem to handle the palm-sized site of PalmGear. Customer service says that it only works with Microsoft IE!!! How weird.
    Originally posted by kin
    Yes Xiino can handle zip files, jpegs etc.
    Actually I think the jpeg download support is funky. Well, reading the docs for Xiino say it's supposed to work with "Xiino Album" which as near as I can tell does not exist. So I don't think there is a way to get a raw jpeg downloaded, unless it is zipped first.

Originally posted by kin
    One weird thing, Xiino can't seem to handle the palm-sized site of PalmGear. Customer service says that it only works with Microsoft IE!!! How weird.
    I was playing with that today and it looks like it is because PalmGear uses application/x-zip-compressed as the MIME type, whereas HandZipper expects application/zip. The exchange manager is all done with MIME types etc, so if it doesn't match then it won't pick the proper app. I suppose HandZipper should add application/x-zip-compressed support to their code

BTW, I feel I should also mention in this thread where to find HandZipper Lite and JPegWatch Lite. These are products made by http://www.handwatch.com though I can't see where to get the lite versions on their site. Too bad, because the non-lite versions don't work on the Treo > 90 because they complain about not having card support.

So far the only place I've found to get these is with the SnapperMail bundle. You have to a) download the http://www.snappermail.com demo, and install the jumbo prc, run it (it decompresses like 6 other things), then b) view a few of the sample emails which have HandZipper Lite and JPegWatch Lite as attachments.
    Can Xiino download and install databases as well?

If so, one could create backup copies of the most important programs and databases on one's own website, use jackflash to copy xiino to ROM, and then be able to restore functionality after a hard reset without connecting to a PC.
  7. kin
    Yes you can download data files or program files. I've set up an ftp site with all the Metro.prc cities so I basically download the metro info of cities I need when I travel. No need to keep the 200+ cities in the Treo! Works fine.
    I was just testing this other day too. In case I have to hard reset on the road, I just want to download the information I need. Not do a wireless sync and fiddle with all the conduit settings.
    Yes, but you need to preserve Xiino, which means writing it to ROM. Then you could download whatever you needed, or even do a full restore!
    Do you know if you can successfully write Xiino to ROM? According to the JackFlash documentation, apps that need to write to database files can't be stored in ROM. I am pretty sure Xiino would need to write to it's DB files, for cache, bookmarks etc.
    ^^

I am a n00bie with palms but I was just wondering how you can write to ROM (Read Only Memory)
    Originally posted by kwsmith2
    ^^

I am a n00bie with palms but I was just wondering how you can write to ROM (Read Only Memory)
    It's actually Flash memory. You need the programs JackSprat and JackFlash (and probably JackSafe for usefulness) from Brayder Technologies to use the Flash on the Treos.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!