Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Spoke to a wireless support tech from T-Mobile, who said the official start date for T-Mobile GPRS in the United States with the Treo 270 is November 1. I wonder if Handspring will have the software update available to download and install that same day? I am waitng for the official release. The device is too expensive to rik voiding the warranty.
    Last edited by djp24; 10/23/2002 at 05:59 AM.
    hey cool, thanks for the info...i'll keep my eyes open...
    TM
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I'm not sure whether or not it's related to this impending GPRS rumor or the Sprint PCS Vision rate reduction but T-Mobile just lowered it's T-Mobile rate plans and added a 50mb and 200mb plans.

I was on the $59.99 20MB plan and just called and switched to the 50MB plan for the same price. I have a 2 hour bus commute each way every day and I use a LOT of data browsing and emailing.

YMMV - but at least it's getting cheaper.

-bostonGuy
    This might make sense - as companies typically want to have their best foot forward at Comdex (mid-November) - arguably the largest technology show in the country.

So, I can imagine that Handspring wants to have ALL of their devices enabled with high-speed always-connected access before the show, and will push T-Mo to agree to the GPRS release.

If this goes beyond the end of the year, I might have to seriously consider a SideKick .....
    I noticed they got rid of their 5 Megabyte plan at $19.95/mo. Good thing I signed up 2 weeks ago, using the non-official GPRS upgrade. Looks like they are trying to cash in on official Treo GPRS release. Assuming most people would be signing up for 5 Meg plan, that is.

$40 per month on top of a typical $40 cell phone plan is pretty steep.
    Originally posted by spittle
    [B]I noticed they got rid of their 5 Megabyte plan at $19.95/mo. Good thing I signed up 2 weeks ago, using the non-official GPRS upgrade.
    Why is it a good thing? Now you can get 10MB for $19.99.

Still too steep for me, though.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    What should really chap hides is the fact that I'm enjoying 'T-Zones Pro' >>>GPRS<<< Internet connectivity at $9.99 a month.... I just happened to be one of the lucky ones that got connected and working before they changed it to WAP only....

Geo
    Originally posted by UniPalmer

Why is it a good thing? Now you can get 10MB for $19.99.

Still too steep for me, though.
    i spoke to t-mobile - they have no idea what plan this is that you're referring to.

the guy i spoke to though recommended we all email customer support and ***** about a lack of unlimited pricing like the sidekick has.
    Originally posted by bigmdime

i spoke to t-mobile - they have no idea what plan this is that you're referring to.

the guy i spoke to though recommended we all email customer support and ***** about a lack of unlimited pricing like the sidekick has.
    Did you read the current lead article here at TreoCentral? According to the hyperlink in the article, 10MB for $19.99 (as an add-on).
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    It's hard to know what's going on, given that the t-mobile web site seems to change every week.

I mis-spoke. T-mobile has divided their GPRS plans into voice-plan-add-on, and GPRS-only plans (ie. laptop with PCMCIA GPRS card). So, I subscribed to their 5 Meg plan (which doesn't exist anymore) for $19.95/mo. I have a voice plan with them, so presumably I can call customer service and get this auto-upgraded to the current 10 Meg plan for the same price. Yaaay!

5 Megs is cutting it close. 10 is plenty for me.

The price increase with more Megs is also more reasonable now.
  11. rsh
    Sprint has got t-mobile beat. $249, color treo 300, unlimited data for 10 bucks plus the connection is twice as fast. I switch carriers.

rsh
    Distributed Folding for [H]umanity
    Join [H]ard|OCP's Team Today at
    http://www.hardforum.com
    Yup. Makes me SOOOO glad that I signed for a year at TM about 3/4 months ago...

*shrug*

Who woulda known...?

Geo
    Has anyone heard what version of the GPRS updater Handspring will be releasing? Is it still 1.1?

I am away from my computer for a few days around the 1st, and internet+syncing will be difficult. I would love to be able to update before I leave, and just make a quick call to T-Mobile on the 1st to activate.

-DM
    If you install 1.1 you will be able to use GPRS with T-Mobile.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    If you install 1.1 you will be able to use GPRS with T-Mobile.
    I just want to be extra cautious. I don't want a fried Treo with 1.1 only to find that there is a newer version and Handspring won't help me.
    I think they will offer a new download because to fool the former updaters into installing you had to replace a file. I got the feeling that the updater didn't check the file against an online database (which would imply 1.1 will be the release version for T-Mobile). However, it might have been done so quickly I didn't notice the online query.
    At this point, wait until Nov 1 and see if this materializes. I still think T-Mobile needs to get yet more agressive with the GPRS rates for this device.
    I agree, they went in the right direction, but Sprint is still WAY more compelling, especially with a $250 purchase price for the 300. If I didn't already have a 270 I'd DEFINITELY go Sprint from here...
    TM
    Looking at the Sprint forum, it appears Sprint is just a horrible company service-wise. TMO ain't an angel but I've always been quite happy with them.
    Everyone send an email to T-Mo customer support and complain. Their GPRS plans are way overpriced. Sprint offers unlimited GPRS for $10!

The best way to get things done is to gripe and moan.
    Last edited by iamosclever; 10/25/2002 at 12:48 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast