Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Yeah, actually I forgot the backlit keyboard as a reason I love my 270 - way more than I did the 180 that I sold. I still think I may sell my 270.

TM
    Not to beat a dead horse but I have loaded GPRS upgrades 5 times on 2 different Treo's with no problems. I'm a T-Mobile customer who is posting this from my 270 from San Francisco, while roaming on Cingular, where GPRS is working just fine and needed absolutely no setup on my part--things worked seemlessly as soon as I landed here last night.

GPRS works fine for the most part. It works a lot better in some areas than others. The problems are mainly that sometimes reconnections are required either because the GPRS connection ends or it becomes "stale" and you have to manually disconnect and reconnect. But, like I said, this depends on the area. For example, in the DC/VA/MD metro area, it works absolutely flawlessly throughout. I've only seen it reconnect at an average of once every 1.5 days, and that with travel through the three "states". In Boston where I live, things are not that smooth, but problems are usually solved by a manual disconnect, which is followed by an automatic reconnect. I can easily live with that.

I undertsand the reluctance to perform an unsupported operation especially witht the threat of voiding warranty's. But I have a way around that if I have to ask for HS's help. I travel to Europe and so I legitimately can upgrade to use prepaid SIMs in Europe. That's what I would say to justify my upgrade if I ever have a problem.
    Originally posted by anthonymoody
    Yeah, actually I forgot the backlit keyboard as a reason I love my 270 - way more than I did the 180 that I sold. I still think I may sell my 270
    The SideKick's keyboard is backlit, as well. I agree - this is an important feature, and I was surprised to hear they left it off the 180!
    well it does look cool, no doubt, but I ended up getting a treo 270 (on ebay) instead of the hiptop for these reasons...
    1) I'm with cingular and I don't want to change my number. I've had it for a long time and it's my main number.
    2) no real desktop synchoniaztion.
    3) appearently the phone is only 'OK' and not great, I really like the treo phone.
    4) color
    5) phone plans at t-moble suck for a someone who wants not to carry a cell phone as well.

I'd switch if a) I could keep my number, b) if it could connect to my machine, c) better phone, d) better plans.

bluetooth and voice dialing would be nice (on the treo as well) oh and what about adding a retractable earbud...
    I have three words for you Hiptop types: 3rd party apps!
    The GPRS upgrade went well - my phone still works! The only problem is that now attempting to launch Blazer gives me a fatal error each time.

Xiino, though, works fine. As I played with downloads in one evening, I realized how quickly my T-Mobile 2 MB / $10 plan is going to get used up.

What I *couldn't* figure out while doing the upgrade was how to gracefully clear out the 6.7 MB on my Treo, and then restore this afterwards. When I attempted to recopy my Backup directory and then hotsync, I started getting lots of stuff I had previously deleted off my handheld. Anybody know where there's an FAQ explaining the details of how the Backup and Archive directories are used?
    Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
    Ooh, can't help you (sorry!) but I'd love the answe too...the occassional hard reset and resync always results in me going in and deleting all kinds of duped stuff - contacts, even apps.
    TM
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I can help with this one! If you go in to your Palm/Users/(yourPalmIDusername)/Backups you'll see everything that gets checked and re-installed when you sync. Look for the apps/etc. that keep getting re-installed and remove them to a seperate folder on your desktop, just in case you grabbed one you need. be careful, don't delete the important ones. now when you re-sync they should not re-appear!

It's a good thing!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    randyg,

That's what I thought, though it seems that some files from the *Archive* directory were getting in there. (???) That made me wonder what the Archive directory(s) are used for.
    Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I think i see what might be happening. when you delete something, do you use the little checkbox that says something about saving an archive? i've never done this. i also do not have an "Archive" folder! I would try dragging the "Archive" folder to your desktop and see if the problem continues. If not, then delete that folder and the other one with the discarded files from the Backup folder.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234