Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I too have heard horror stories about Sprint customer service. However, to be fair, I heard the same thing about VoiceStream yet I made the switch anyway b/c they supported the phone I wanted. ANd, their service has been consistently solid for me. I'll say this much though - it I could take my # with me to Sprint I'd already be gone. I am a HEAVY data user (now using dial up)...so I could really use an all I can eat plan. I'd pay more than $10, but can't leave myself exposed to horrifically high bills.

TM
    TMobile signed me up for the GPRS service at $20 for 10MB. Their Wireless Data Group customer support asked me to call Handspring for the upgrade.
    Originally posted by anthonymoody
    I too have heard horror stories about Sprint customer service. However, to be fair, I heard the same thing about VoiceStream yet I made the switch anyway b/c they supported the phone I wanted. ANd, their service has been consistently solid for me. I'll say this much though - it I could take my # with me to Sprint I'd already be gone. I am a HEAVY data user (now using dial up)...so I could really use an all I can eat plan. I'd pay more than $10, but can't leave myself exposed to horrifically high bills.

TM
    Anthony,

Hopefully, late next year we (assuming you are in the US) will all be able to move from carrier to carrier and keep our phone numbers.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe

Anthony,

Hopefully, late next year we (assuming you are in the US) will all be able to move from carrier to carrier and keep our phone numbers.
    The phone companies have been dragging their feet on this one and for good reason. When this is finally implemented there will be *nothing* holding someone to a particular carrier. Call me a skeptic, but the industry has enough problems as it is. I'm not sure anyone in Washington wants to drive the nail in the coffin.
    I'm not so sure about that...i.e. yes it will hurt certain carriers in a big way, but others will benefit. So other than the added cost that all carriers will face to allow people to switch to/from their service, I'm not so sure it'd hit the industry so hard. It'd help Sprint right now, at least as far as I'm concerned

TM
    Originally posted by djp24
    Spoke to a wireless support tech from T-Mobile, who said the official start date for T-Mobile GPRS in the United States with the Treo 270 is November 1. I wonder if Handspring will have the software update available to download and install that same day? I am waitng for the official release. The device is too expensive to rik voiding the warranty.
    Although I still hope this prediction is right, I just heard Bill Slakey's comments this a.m. at the Prudential Tech conference. He mentioned all the trouble Handspring was having because each North American carrier handled GPRS a different way and how the rollout had been delayed several times, but was now released in Asia and Europe. He (to my ears) implied that they were STILL working on the North American release. If the release date is this Friday, it would have served his interests to use this forum to trumpet that. But I could be wrong (hopefully).
    I'm hoping Slakey's research is a little old, at least by a few days. Incidently, last night I was in a local T-Mobile company store, and I asked the manager about T-Mobile support of the Treo and GPRS. He said the latest word from T-Mobile corporate is that Treo GPRS support will commence within two weeks.
    Too bad its still not a reality.

I've been blasting thru GPRS Web and email since the first week in October with my TMO Sidekick. Maybe that's what finally giving Sprint and Handspring a kick in the **** to get their US GPRS Treo act together.

The 300's a nice device but the 90 with a T68i might be better.

Been there
    done that
    moved on..
    it's an endless search of temporary joys
    While I hope that "D-Day" for GPRS is 11/1/02, I tend to doubt it. I email Handrpring yesterday and received the standard "Handspring's policy is not to pre-announce products", so I replied and pushed a little bit and they responded with:

The Treo GPRS Upgrade is being made available to limited audiences in Europe, in conjunction with local mobile operators. No North American carriers have currently approved the Treo GPRS Upgrade 1.1. You will NOT be able to install this software with these mobile service providers:

Cingular: can NOT install
    T-Mobile: can NOT install
    AT&T: can NOT install
    When the Treo GPRS Upgrade is made available to North American customers, we will let you know. We apologize that we are unable to give you a more specific date, the upgrade is expected before the end of the year.

So, I guess that time will tell.
    ...grrr.

/me fights the urge to buy a SideKick...
    I've had my 180 since February and I love it but I'm getting a little ticked (really pissed actually) that the GPRS upgrade still isn't available. When I bought the pda it was implied (or at least I inferred) that the upgrade would happen in 2Q2002.

I'm really close to installing the unsupported back door upgrade but I'm so afraid of killing my Treo and having no recourse. My luck is such that the end result would be poor.

This is BS in my book. I'm also a little disappointed that Sprint seems to be the only carrier embracing Palm based phones. The others seem to be migrating toward CE.
    Hey gang,
    Why aren't you using the GPRS install from this board. I did and it works just fine with T-Mo. what do I need a HS version for??
    CP
    I empathiize with the 180 owners

Bought mine end of last year and purchased VS GPRS with the anticipation of a treo upgrade no later than the end of Q2 02.

By the end of Q3 pretty much disgusted I opted for the SK and gave away my 180.

I must say not being a cell phone addict in the first place the SK has worked out well so far for me.
    it's an endless search of temporary joys
    Originally posted by crownprince
    Hey gang,
    Why aren't you using the GPRS install from this board. I did and it works just fine with T-Mo. what do I need a HS version for??
    CP
    Because that is/would be the 'official release' - the one that's 'supported' - the one that you're not permanently f***ed if something goes wrong...

Geo

...I'm using 1.0 still, and will upgrade with the official release (if and when it hits 'shelves', and if I still have the Treo), but for now, I'm not pushing my luck...
    Originally posted by burn
    I empathiize with the 180 owners

Bought mine end of last year and purchased VS GPRS with the anticipation of a treo upgrade no later than the end of Q2 02.

By the end of Q3 pretty much disgusted I opted for the SK and gave away my 180.

I must say not being a cell phone addict in the first place the SK has worked out well so far for me.
    Yup - I was in /such/ a hurry to get my 180, and I thought I did so good at the time finding mine for $340 shipped on ebay (steada $500+ at the time - already had service)...

Now there's sprint's big Treo 300 push for $250, the SideKick @ CompUSA for $100 w/rebate, etc..

*sigh*

I'm still thinking I'll get a SideKick, and sell my 180 to cover the upgrade costs... I actually use the phone tho, and I think that's the last thing holding me to the Treo for now...

=\
    Back to the topic...

I have a 180 on T-Mobile GPRS in Chicago. I've noticed the main problem seems to be DNS. I often find I'm unable to find a server (including TreoMail servers). If I simply disconnect/reconnect my T-Mobile Internet connection, everything works again.

I'm wondering if the "problem with slightly different GPRS implementations among North American carriers" is behind this issue. If so, I hope it is fixed with official release.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I have noticed the same problem. If I connect to the network things work fine. I go away for awhile and come back: nothing works. I disconnect/reconnect-- everything's fine once again. This seems more prevalent lately. When I first started with the GPRS 1.0 update, the connection would go away. Now, the connection mostly stays, but I suffer from this behavior. So much for "always on data."

BTW, the problem appears to be a DNS issue only because that's the first thing that happens when you use the connection-- you almost always need to resolve the host name you are trying to talk to so it hits the DNS. It seems like the connection gets out of sync somehow...
    Originally posted by rfg17
    I have noticed the same problem. If I connect to the network things work fine. I go away for awhile and come back: nothing works. I disconnect/reconnect-- everything's fine once again. This seems more prevalent lately. When I first started with the GPRS 1.0 update, the connection would go away. Now, the connection mostly stays, but I suffer from this behavior. So much for "always on data."

BTW, the problem appears to be a DNS issue only because that's the first thing that happens when you use the connection-- you almost always need to resolve the host name you are trying to talk to so it hits the DNS. It seems like the connection gets out of sync somehow...
    i have the same problem.
    This whole experience has me pretty disillusioned with HS as a company. I dont care what the excuses are, they are WAY behind the curve on this. I'm sorely tempted to get the PocketPC tmobile phone. I can get it for $375 unlocked directly from TMobile b/c I'm a long time customer and I just asked. I want to keep the faith but here it is 11/1 and still NOTHING.

TM
    Originally posted by anthonymoody
    ...it is 11/1 and still NOTHING.

TM
    Oh, but you are wrong - they have a few new voice plans...!

*jk*

Geo
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast