Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Is anyone else having trouble getting to the Internet through T-Mobile GPRS in Boston? I have not been able to even do DNS lookups for most of the day. I can connect to the APN just fine.
    Last edited by rfg17; 10/21/2002 at 03:37 PM.
    I noticed the same thing when I was travelling to Boston last week. I live in Atlanta and GPRS with T-Mobile works great here. When I was in Boston, I couldn't get it to connect even once. It's gotta be problems with their network up there. T-Mobile has been fine in a lot of other cities for me.
    I am really having difficulty getting GPRS to work. What plans are you guys on? What is the setup on your Treo? Do you have T-Zones? I switched to the Sidekick GPRS plan (39.99) with unlimited data for the first year. But whenever I try and connect it says "signing on" and then "GPRS has failed". Almost like an authentication error.

I don't want to call T-Mobile and tell them I am using a Treo!

Thanks

David
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Originally posted by db5125
    I am really having difficulty getting GPRS to work. What plans are you guys on? What is the setup on your Treo? Do you have T-Zones? I switched to the Sidekick GPRS plan (39.99) with unlimited data for the first year. But whenever I try and connect it says "signing on" and then "GPRS has failed". Almost like an authentication error.

I don't want to call T-Mobile and tell them I am using a Treo!

Thanks

David
    I don't believe the Sidekick plan will work for Treos. I signed up for the 5Mb plan right after the GPRS 1.0 upgrade came out. Even told them I had a Treo The setup on the Treo is easy: just use the T-Mobile Internet service in the Networks Prefs. No need to make any other changes. (You can also opt for the T-Mobile VPN service if you need a fixed IP address to get access to a corporate VPN). Works like a charm.
    Originally posted by db5125
    I switched to the Sidekick GPRS plan (39.99) with unlimited data for the first year. But whenever I try and connect it says "signing on" and then "GPRS has failed". Almost like an authentication error.
    The Sidekick plan will work only with the Sidekick... T-Mobile deliberately designed it that way. You'll need one of their other mobile data plans (the low-end "T-Zones" plan won't work, either). I'm using the 5 Mb plan with my Treo 180, and it works well. I'm in Boston, too, BTW.

I'm expecting T-Mobile to announce new rate plans. Sprint, perhaps their closest competitor, has announced new plans that make data much, much cheaper than T-Mobile; they'll have to do something to compete with that.

Interestingly, details on data plans have suddenly disappeared from the T-Mobile web site.

--Larry
    <I>Do not attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.</I>
    VERY interesting. Someone posted elsewhere that they were told of a Nov. 1 release for the official TMobile GPRS patch. Perhaps that will coincide with new data plans...
    TM