Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I have absolutely pristine credit (high 700s).. just bought a car a month ago with zero issues. Went in to buy my Veer today and AT&T told me they want $500 up front deposit to open up an account. I was offended beyond belief... absolutely outrageous. I have never in all my years of having cell phones been asked to put down a deposit.. like I'm some kind of deadbeat.

So, my hopes of owning a Veer have been dashed. I will miss you, webOS *sniffle*
    Sounds like they're trying to make up some of the money they lost in the t-mobile deal. Lol... Try and open an account online and see if you run into the same issue.
    I never understood why they would ask for a larger deposit than what the device is worth. I NEVER EVER understood that.
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    I never understood why they would ask for a larger deposit than what the device is worth. I NEVER EVER understood that.
    It has Nothing to do with the device its solely based on your credit report from the credit bureau... If your credit is tanked , they ask for a deposit high enough to insure you wont default payment

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Googled this and found out that the deposit seems to be usually required when someone has no credit history. Ironically, the iphone owners have been suffering this for 3 years.

Call customer service on Mon, I bet they will waive it after reviewing your credit history. I'm sure they run into this all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Googled this and found out that the deposit seems to be usually required when someone has no credit history. Ironically, the iphone owners have been suffering this for 3 years.

Call customer service on Mon, I bet they will waive it after reviewing your credit history. I'm sure they run into this all the time.
    yes thats why its called a credit check

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    Sounds like they're trying to make up some of the money they lost in the t-mobile deal. Lol... Try and open an account online and see if you run into the same issue.
    Do NOT do this.. Every credit check worsens your credit score.. As each check deducts a certain amount of points..

I get it all the time.. Customers say "I just bought a house , I cant get a phone" Umm yeah Because you just bought that house!!

Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Ironically, this is the explanation they gave me for the $500.. they claimed I didn't have enough "history". Which makes absolutely zero sense to me since I'm 36 years old, I rent an apartment (which required a credit check), I financed a car 5 weeks ago (credit was more than good enough for that), I've had accounts with Verizon and Sprint.. several credit cards.. student loans.. all in perfectly good standing if not fully paid off.

I did that after I cooled down. They told me that the corporate store I was at SHOULD have asked me to fill out a waiver form, though it would not have been approved today anyway. Maybe I'll go back there during the week and try again.

I ran my credit report today just to be sure and it's the same high score as it has been for years.. not sure where they're getting this "no history" thing from.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Do NOT do this.. Every credit check worsens your credit score.. As each check deducts a certain amount of points..

I get it all the time.. Customers say "I just bought a house , I cant get a phone" Umm yeah Because you just bought that house!!

The only true harm that having alot of credit checks is if those credit checks are for new credit not for most contract purposes. And we are only talking about a few points. But I do agree that it's absolutely rediculous a deposit has to be made for a cell phone.
    Never had that issue before. My 21 year old niece just got herself an iphone recently. Her score is in the mid 600 range, min wage job, no house or car or much else established. I'm pretty sure she didn't have to pay any deposit.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    Ironically, this is the explanation they gave me for the $500.. they claimed I didn't have enough "history". Which makes absolutely zero sense to me since I'm 36 years old, I rent an apartment (which required a credit check), I financed a car 5 weeks ago (credit was more than good enough for that), I've had accounts with Verizon and Sprint.. several credit cards.. student loans.. all in perfectly good standing if not fully paid off.

I did that after I cooled down. They told me that the corporate store I was at SHOULD have asked me to fill out a waiver form, though it would not have been approved today anyway. Maybe I'll go back there during the week and try again.

I ran my credit report today just to be sure and it's the same high score as it has been for years.. not sure where they're getting this "no history" thing from.
    See my post above about your car finance.

If you wait a month or two your credit should normalize

Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    The only true harm that having alot of credit checks is if those credit checks are for new credit not for most contract purposes. And we are only talking about a few points. But I do agree that it's absolutely rediculous a deposit has to be made for a cell phone.
    Upgrades no.. But new contracts yes..

Customers will have att , tmo sprint and vzw all run their credit.. Without realizing it gets worse each time.

try ordering it from at&t on line. I bet they don't ask for a deposit. Another reason why I never buy phones in retail stores. On line or over the phone directly from the carrier.
    This is why you need to pick a carrier and just stick with it. I got AT&T back in 2005 before it was bought by Cingular (before they were bought by AT&T...) Anyway, today my credit S-U-C-K-S!!!! Today, they popped out the sim out of my wife's 3Gs and put it in the Veer. I gave the $99 plus tax and walked out. But yeah, if your deposit is going to be worth more than the phone, I suggest you just buy it without the contract.
    Last edited by bobsentell; 05/15/2011 at 07:50 PM.
    That happened with my brother when the original iPhone came out. Never happened to me though. I think you should go back and check again. They could have messed something up on the input and not have realized. Idk...

But j_benj looks like both of us didn't get the veer. I'm not paying crazy amounts of money either for the device, but I did go ahead and try my luck with one of those $50 amazon ones. Good luck this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Never had that issue before. My 21 year old niece just got herself an iphone recently. Her score is in the mid 600 range, min wage job, no house or car or much else established. I'm pretty sure she didn't have to pay any deposit.
    Credit score and credit history are to different things. If your credit history shows timely payments, then you have more of a chance of being approved be a lender regardless of your Credit Beaken.
    order it from their web site.
    Have you had an at&t account before? I know that if you had a bad payment history with them before they take that into consideration too.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    Have you had an at&t account before? I know that if you had a bad payment history with them before they take that into consideration too.
    nope, never had an account with AT&T under my own name. I have an iPhone4 on AT&T but it's on my employer's corporate account, so they said that one doesn't count as "history" for me.

I'm calling the corporate office today to escalate this. I just hate being treated like a deadbeat.
    I kinda had this issue as well when I wanted to buy my Pre using O2's Myhandy plan (1 Euro + 24 * 20 Euro). They checked my credit and it took forever, I dunno why. After being the only person left (10 pm, yes pm) in the store I just said "WTH" and payed via EC card Got a free leather case, though

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    try ordering it from at&t on line. I bet they don't ask for a deposit. Another reason why I never buy phones in retail stores. On line or over the phone directly from the carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    order it from their web site.
    Are you getting something from HP for every Veer sold?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast