1.    #1  
    OK, I got GPRS working (pretty cool, thank you very much), and I can access my email via one touch, but I can't send out as Cingular doesn't have a SMPT server.

any ideas?
    One Touch does not support SMTP you need to use another email app, try Eudora it's free!

http://palmgear.com/software/showsof...2&prodID=12042
  3.    #3  
    well it seems that one-touch does (it has a field for an outgoing SMTP mail server), it's that Cingular doesn't have a mail server that will accept outgoing mail. it isn't a problem if I dial up to my ISP, it is if I use GPRS as Cingular is my ISP...so any mail client wouldn't work in this circumstance.
    Originally posted by vordo
    well it seems that one-touch does (it has a field for an outgoing SMTP mail server), it's that Cingular doesn't have a mail server that will accept outgoing mail. it isn't a problem if I dial up to my ISP, it is if I use GPRS as Cingular is my ISP...so any mail client wouldn't work in this circumstance.
    I'm also with Cingular and have no problems sending email via Eudora as well as TreoMail thru gprs...
  5.    #5  
    so what are you useing for your SMTP server?
    My ISP is with AT&T Broadband so I use their SMTP for sending email.
  7.    #7  
    ug...I can't figure out how to make pacbell recieve my outgoing messages. too bad that cingular doesn't have their own SMTP server.

what a drag.
    I've been trying to solve the same annoying issue since i first got my treo. Other than dialing into my ISP, there's only one solution that I've found and it isn't really that great but it works.

Basically, in order to send mail out on some SMTP servers they require authentication. Some accept authentication simply through your login to check if mail is there. Others require a seperate login to the outgoing server (the problem with my ISP). What i've done is found a mail server that authenticate only through the incoming server. Basically i never have incoming mail there but it allows me to send mail out nevertheless.

Even though I'm sending mail out on a different server, my return address on that mail is still listed as my work address so I don't confuse my recipients with multiple addresses. I was fortunate to have a friend that runs a small business with his own mail server...

hope that helps,
    al
  9.    #9  
    what I ended up doing is getting a hotpop.com account (free) and using it as the outgoing mail server. I got snappermail (very nice, I think) which allows a reply to address and it's all pretty clear.