Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I saw this on Boy Genius Reports and thought WOW!

RadioShack offering HTC Inspire 4G for just $29.99 | BGR

Radio Shack is having a sale on the HTC Inspire for $29 until May 21st. Even though the $29 price on the Inspire 4G is temporary, and both phones are targeting 2 different markets; I think that price point is probably enough to veer the average consumer away from a Veer 4G (pun intended). I know if I was upgrading to a new phone on AT&T and was unsure about what to buy, a $29 4G Android phone would be very tempting. It's a shame Radio Shack had to do this during the Veer's launch week. Oh well.

What do you guys think the average consumer will pick: Veer 4G or Inspire 4G?
    even at regular price, you have the inspire at $99, the dell venue pro at $99, the captivate at $49, the samsung focus at $49, the iphone 3gs at $49, the xpieria x10 for $49, blackberry torch for $49, and the pre plus and htc aria for free. And those are regular prices, as you mentioned the inspire is on sale at radio shack for $29, I got an atrix at best buy for $49 a couple of weeks ago, the htc surround is free at best buy and captivate is $29, so honestly given these prices and the fact that the monthly plans are the same, which one would you chose? I can only think of one for sure I would take the veer over (torch), debatable on a couple others (aria, pre plus, x10) and definately would not chose it over the inspire, captivate, venue pro and focus.

They really shot them selves with that price point, at the most it should be $49, and should probably be free.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    I don't think people really care very much about $50 when it's ultimately the contract that matters.. the price of the phones up front has meant less and less as the years have passed.

This phone isn't meant to go up against the HTC Inspire 4. It's going up against the Pre, the Pre Plus, the Pre 2......

I hate all these "VEER VS. XXXXXX" statements. Give it up already. It's going up against nothing. It has nothing to lose. Maybe in two years you can do "Veer vs. xxxx", but I don't think HP, or any WebOS fan, really cares about these articles.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Give me a break, the Pre/Pre+ are dead anyways. I see the Veer as a bonus phone for HP. It's not meant to get massive sales, it's not meant to go up against the best of the best, it's meant as an introduction to the magnificent WebOS platform, and it does a damned good job at that. It's the successor to the Pixi, was the Pixi ever going up against the HTC Inspire 4G? No, because Palm never had the smartphone share as HTC.

Any positive Veer sales is a bonus for HP. I don't believe they can be expecting much more sales in the first four months than the Pre 2. With that said, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it sells more phones on its own than the Pre+/Pre- sold combined in their entire lifetimes.

Have you ever heard of trying to out-do yourself? Yeah, that's what the Veer is. It's HP's test to see just how it stacks up against previous WebOS phones. They need to get their foot wet, and this is how they do it.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Why do they even need a successor of pixi or even pre? both devices failed miserably under Palm. I wish HP just dump the whole Pre and Pixi idea and moved on. Designed something fresh. I think HP is capable of doing it, their laptop looks pretty good.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Why do they even need a successor of pixi or even pre? both devices failed miserably under Palm. I wish HP just dump the whole Pre and Pixi idea and moved on. Designed something fresh. I think HP is capable of doing it, their laptop looks pretty good.
    You don't know that they haven't. Are you privy to HP's pipeline? Whether you like it or not, that rumored stingray looks pretty different than the Pre. If you think they should have not put anything out between the release of the Pre2 and whatever is due Fall, ok. But expecting they could just make something different and have it in the market by this week isn't very reasonable.

This stuff takes a long time to design, source, build, test, sell to carriers, modify, optimize, manufacture, and market. Just because HTC has a phone out every other month doesn't mean they only took a month to make it. Plus HTC already has the buy-in from carriers - HP still needs to build that.
    Give it 30 days or less. You'll see a $49 Veer (Prolly be $29 at Walmart)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Give it 30 days or less. You'll see a $49 Veer (Prolly be $29 at Walmart)

I agree. It will probably drop in price & be offered with a TouchPad combo or something. I can see the Veer selling more units if it's offered with the TouchPad, than if it's just selling on it's own.
    With all due respect, the cheap phone game is one that HP cannot play. Nor for that matter can Apple or Rim, or Microsoft. Android doesn't produce hardware, they are taking a loss on the development of the OS and giving it away for freebies to hardware makers with the hopes for returns in advertising.

I've always suspected was going to happen anyway for all phones eventually. But I'm a guy who will pay for an app over a free one so as not to subjected to advertising. (I'm guessing that make me a minority)

This is not a knock at Android, it's been a successful business model and it's legal. HP will need to make products which appeal to particular segments of the public. Don't think the Veer will be a huge seller, but for some, it will have just what they are looking for in a phone. For a person driven primarily by price, they will always take the cheaper phone. This is why HP need to broaden the array of phones they offer.

And they need to keep the Pre form factor, they just need to add additional options. Trying to merely imitate will not lead to success.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    the veer is a niche product that will do well in its own little market
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    the veer is a niche product that will do well in its own little market
    I'm sure it will do well in that market but that market is so unclear, I don't even know if it even exist.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Honestly, two different target audiences.
    For me, I'd get the Inspire or wait for the Pre3.
    Just call me Berd.
    I'm sorry, but no. The price has got to come down or they will sell zero phones.
    Or put it on a prepaid carrier.
    You're concerned that someone on AT$T would be price-conscious? =)
    Could be worse. Cough Verizon cough.
    Back on topic. Sorry.
    They will choose the Veer for $0 from Best Buy.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I saw this on Boy Genius Reports and thought WOW!

RadioShack offering HTC Inspire 4G for just $29.99 | BGR

Radio Shack is having a sale on the HTC Inspire for $29 until May 21st. Even though the $29 price on the Inspire 4G is temporary, and both phones are targeting 2 different markets; I think that price point is probably enough to veer the average consumer away from a Veer 4G (pun intended). I know if I was upgrading to a new phone on AT&T and was unsure about what to buy, a $29 4G Android phone would be very tempting. It's a shame Radio Shack had to do this during the Veer's launch week. Oh well.

What do you guys think the average consumer will pick: Veer 4G or Inspire 4G?
    Unfair comparison. You're comparing an official price to a sale price.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I actually saw the Inspire for the first time today. I had to go to the corporate store This is the GSM Evo. I didn't realize that until now. Concerning price, there's no way I'd take a Veer when Inspire is the same price or less.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I actually saw the Inspire for the first time today. I had to go to the corporate store This is the GSM Evo. I didn't realize that until now. Concerning price, there's no way I'd take a Veer when Inspire is the same price or less.
    No.. Evo has a ff camera Inspire doesnt

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Unfair comparison. You're comparing an official price to a sale price.
    I did mention that the $29 price tag is temporary in my post. I'm just trying to gauge what a typical person, who's unsure of what smartphone to buy will do when they see a Veer for $99 and an HTC Inspire on sale for $29 at Radio Shack.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast