Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    are you using two different palm profiles in that plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    If I had ATT I'd get it. And also if I had ATT I could switch phones by swapping a sim!

Who wants to pay for full data on a 2.6" screen? If only HP could get them to lower the data plan price because people wont use it as much :/ (Apple prob could have)
    That would have created a big disincentive for AT&T to sell the Veer at all, don't you think? Less monthly revenue = no spiffs and lower commissions for salespeople = it's VZW and the Pre Plus all over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    If I had ATT I'd get it. And also if I had ATT I could switch phones by swapping a sim!

Who wants to pay for full data on a 2.6" screen? If only HP could get them to lower the data plan price because people wont use it as much :/ (Apple prob could have)
    What exactly does screen size have to do with a data plan? Should someone with a 19" screen attached to their home PC pay less to their internet provider than someone with a 27" widescreen?
    And on another note, the Veer on ATT will be getting data faster (H+) than any webOS device currently available. The screen size is not a valid argument IMO.
    I think he is saying that it is too small to be used as his primary browser, so they'd be more likely to use another device for most web access. I agree with that. But with pandora, dr podder, mobile hotspot, etc I'm not sure how much less total data usage there would be per month.

and doesn't at&t have a $15 data plan for light users?
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sepherous View Post
    i'm glad everyone is so optimistic, but idk after reading this i really dont have a good feeling about the launch. I just cannot believe that after they delayed the launch they settled are ok with launching a phone on the same day as an android phone on the same carrier. it just makes no sense to me. oh well i honestly hope your all right
    I'm a little concerned about the Veer launch as well. But if it doesn't do well, it's not going to be because of the Infuse launching on the same day.
    They really need to Advertise Advertise Advertise!
    You spent the money to build the thing, now spend some more and make yourself known!
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    It is clear that the people behind the past Palm launches are still handling the HP launches. Sending these new devices to carriers are already overflowing with iPhones and Android devices is just really bad business. I hate to keep playing the Sprint card, but they really only stock Android. (Not counting Blackberry here). There is lower competition on Sprint. Less subscribers sure, but much more potential purchasing customers.

My 2c....
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    It's not really up to ATT to push it so much as it is HP's responsibility to advertise it...
    Excellent point!
    I have yet to use 2gb, and that's with tethering. All my emailing and browsing - these and other forums, I max around 1.5gb.
    I average around 1gb.
    I see most getting this phone with the 2gb plan.

I've seen this data concern brought up in possibly three different threads now.
    Perhaps you could start a thread here in the veer forum with a poll regarding usage of those that might consider a veer.
    Hello all,

Just got back from a trip to Puerto Rico and the plane flight from Atlanta to San Juan had in-flight entertainment (if you want to call 15" color CRTs hanging from the ceiling every 10 feet that...) but one of the programs they show is a giant infomercial called Skytech and the HP Veer was one of the products highlighted.

Another interesting tidbit, I was there for a trade show/event and Sprint had a booth there as well (corporate folks). I went over and got some hands on time with the Evo 3G (launching in June according to them) and the Nexus S 4G.

I spoke to a few folks and the one person seemed dialed-in. I showed my launch day Pre to her/him (a gasp...another person chuckled a bit in awe that I still had one) and asked her/him about future WebOS devices on the network. First, they could not believe I liked the Pre, said their research showed men hated the form factor, size and mushy keys. I agreed that the hardware was a bit lacking (ok...alot) but that I truly did enjoy WebOS over any other OS I have tried. Bottom line was that no one was aware of any presentation from HP to Sprint about any future devices...much less a launch. They seemed sincere but you have to weigh all things in life.

It's like I always say...It is not that I can't keep a sceret, it is all the people I tell. They can't keep their mouths shut! ;-)
    I thought AT&T doesn't allow free tethering. I know webOS can have freetethering app installed and have enjoyed the free tethering without letting your carrier, however, you never know when AT&T starts to track down this kind of app. They have done that on iPhone and they are enforcing on Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    They really need to Advertise Advertise Advertise!
    You spent the money to build the thing, now spend some more and make yourself known!
    Yup, here we are a little over a week away from launch and the only people who even know about the Veer are either P|C members or people posting on ATT's FB wall. Where are the commercials at?

EDIT: There is a little thing called the NBA playoffs going on. Not sure if anyone at HP knows about it, but it might be a good place to start advertising.
    Last edited by sinime; 05/06/2011 at 12:13 PM.
    There really isnt much to understand about the Veer intended market:

Its for those feature phone users who haven't upgraded to a smartphone because of the size factor.

Now, if you don't agree with that, fine, but, the reality of the situation is that there is a huge population of people around the world who want something small enough to fit into their pocket without "bulging".. and today's smartphones just don't fit that profile.

The Veer is the perfect transitional device - its small form factor AND that hardware keyboard which slides out vertically, while still allowing a decent capacitive screen experience, all in a shape/formfactor that feels smooth and non-obtrusive in one's hands, due to that "pebble" design, is almost catered to those people.

Most people who still have feature phones will list "size" as the #1 or the #2 reason for not getting a smartphone. I suspect HP has performed surveys with resulting data confirming that very fact.

You may not like it, but, there will be many that do, I believe, and if they market it intelligently, with advertising to the right age groups, they may experience a very high market penetration to those areas, as, up until today, they have been literally ignored by conventional marketing plans and advertising programs.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I have yet to use 2gb, and that's with tethering. All my emailing and browsing - these and other forums, I max around 1.5gb.
    I average around 1gb.
    I see most getting this phone with the 2gb plan.

I've seen this data concern brought up in possibly three different threads now.
    Perhaps you could start a thread here in the veer forum with a poll regarding usage of those that might consider a veer.
    For some perspective of other possible configurations. I used 4.2GB of data last month. I use freetether to connect to my iTouch over bluetooth because bluetooth eats less battery than a WiFi hotspot plus we all know some iTouchs don't play nice with the Pre WiFi. I did not use it for Netflix either, in case you were going to ask, the only media I used is streamed music, Pandora through the Pre and Napster through the iTouch when I wanted a specific list.

Also, I did not tether anything else to it.
    I had problems with excessive data consumption when I was using Voogle on my Pre2 a few months back, but I believe that issue has been corrected.

On my other line, I now average around 1.5GB per month on my Evo, and I'm a very heavy user.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    There really isnt much to understand about the Veer intended market:

Its for those feature phone users who haven't upgraded to a smartphone because of the size factor.

Now, if you don't agree with that, fine, but, the reality of the situation is that there is a huge population of people around the world who want something small enough to fit into their pocket without "bulging".. and today's smartphones just don't fit that profile.

The Veer is the perfect transitional device - its small form factor AND that hardware keyboard which slides out vertically, while still allowing a decent capacitive screen experience, all in a shape/formfactor that feels smooth and non-obtrusive in one's hands, due to that "pebble" design, is almost catered to those people.

Most people who still have feature phones will list "size" as the #1 or the #2 reason for not getting a smartphone. I suspect HP has performed surveys with resulting data confirming that very fact.

You may not like it, but, there will be many that do, I believe, and if they market it intelligently, with advertising to the right age groups, they may experience a very high market penetration to those areas, as, up until today, they have been literally ignored by conventional marketing plans and advertising programs.

IMO, of course.
    What i hear most frequently ( and i know a lot of dumbphone users) is that they "have no need for that." Or as i like to say, they fear change or what they don't know. A basic cellphone is simple to them and is meant for phone calls and phone calls only.

Second thing that comes up is not wanting a higher cellphone bill. I've also heard they're too expensive but its important to note that the iphone influences that thinking.

Not once have i heard size of smartphones being an issue. They don't even refer to smartphones as "smartphones"..they refer to them as iphones or sometimes droids.

In this regard, i can't see these people wanting to jump on webOS. If they think they don't need an iphone or fear that kind of change (given apple's marketing), then they sure won't be running to something they never heard of. HP (or Palm) have done little to promote this OS or phones in the least.

If i was HP, i'd target smartphone users. RIM users. Android users getting tired of the same designs. iOS users now wanting something a bit more advanced (or more grown up) than stale iOS. These phones are fun because of multitouch. Release a premium slab device that maximizes this experience. Market the heck out of webOS and this device along with tablet. Get those big name apps in your store. These Pre (and Veer) devices will never gain much popularity since they're geared toward productivity and business users.
    ^ I agreed 100%. I don't see any feature phones that small, they are as big as some of the smartphone on the market. Look at the sidekick, it's still the biggest phone on the market at that time.
    For me, biggest problem of the feature phone users are increase on the phone bill, nothing else.
    In this regard, Veer isn't not a good target for converting feature phone users.
    This thread appears to be going every different direction.

We have several threads on these other topics.

Feel free to move your discussions there, or start a new thread to discuss these.

<<closed>>

Thanks,
    -Berd

<<closed>>
    Just call me Berd.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12