1.    #1  
    By Geoff Duncan
    Provided by

Mobile broadband fiends who hopped on the Motorola Atrix and HTC Inspire from AT&T hoping to revel in the glory of full HSUPA mobile broadband have experienced a rude shock. Although the phones are able to pull in data at speeds exceeding AT&T's 3G devices, their upload capabilities have been less than stellar—in many cases even lower than upload bandwidth that can be achieved by less-capable phones. Responding to consumer complaints lodged with the Better Business Bureau, AT&T apparently admits that the Atrix and Inspire are HSUPA-capable devices, but that the company simply hasn't enabled HSUPA service on the phones. AT&T says it is in "testing and preparations" to activate the service.

AT&T says it expects to enable HSUPA service for the Atrix and the Inspire in April. The company also notes that its forthcoming Samsung Infuse 4G will ship with HSUPA enabled by default.

AT&T has been operating HSUPA service in portions of its markets for as long as three years.

The fracas highlights some of the disputes (and consumer confusion) in the mobile marketplace over what constitutes "4G" service. Original industry definitions essentially held that services like WiMax and LTE could be classified as 4G services, but T-Mobile burst that bubble when it pushed its HSPA+ network into bandwidth ranges that had previously been solely the realm of 4G technologies. Not to be outclassed, AT&T quickly followed suit, touting its own HSUPA technologies as "4G." The Atrix and Inspire are marketed by AT&T as 4G phones, even though—the company now admits—4G features aren't actually functional.

AT&T admits to hobbling 4G phones
    Yep, I posted about this in the Atrix discussion and another thread. AT&T needs to get fined for false advertising. Not only that but they're always using the "testing" excuse not to get updates out on time. Take a look at this:

Updated Windows Phone schedule: good news for most, AT&T still awful

Though in that case, a lot of that falls on MSFT for allowing carriers too much control, but still AT&T has held up lots of phones "testing" before. At least 2 phones I know of were released a year after announcement.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I sure hope they become our only US Gsm provider.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Sound effect over this line:

"record needle screeching across vinyl"

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    AT&T's response: Your wish is my command.