1.    #1  
    I'd love to get the benefits of the 1.1 update (speakerphone, mute, echo fix, etc.), but I don't want to pay cingular more money to be a part of their GPRS service. I'm ok w/ using my voice minutes to dial-up and access the data services.

I'm guessing the answer is no, but can I do the update and keep my current plan? If not, is it possible to upgrade to the GPRS service, but only access the data services through dial-up (I guess my real question is CSD the same as my current GSM service)?

I'm located in San Francisco if that matters.

thanks,
    Jon
    Yes to all your questions.
    You don't have to use the GPRS services if you don't want to. Continue to use the CSD service and benefit from the other upgrades that have changed in the patch..

Greg
    Yeah, it's not problem at all. Whenever you reset your device it tries to use the GPRS settings, but that's easily changed.
    I did upgrade 1.1 on Treo 180 (Voicestream). I can no longer do dialup (CSD) to my ISP. I changed my Network prefs to specify my dialup connection, but every time it tries to dial, it hangs for about 5 minutes. Voice phone is ok, though? Almost as if modem is disabled now.
    I am on 1.1 too and have Cingular. My dialup works just fine still. All I did was went into net prefs and switched back to the old net pref I used before. The GPRS setting is the default when the updater completes.
    I did change my net prefs back.

Just out of curiosity, should I see a triangle icon (indicating presence of GPRS) even though I'm not subscribed to a GPRS plan?
    Originally posted by spittle
    I did change my net prefs back.

Just out of curiosity, should I see a triangle icon (indicating presence of GPRS) even though I'm not subscribed to a GPRS plan?
    Yes, I think so.
    there should be a little triangle above the signal strength meter and to the right of the antenna graphic. If you were to sign on to gprs the little triangle becomes large and is part of the antenna graphic.
    Thanks for info. Seems odd that I wouldn't pick up GPRS on VoiceStream in Chicago market. I have neither such triangle showing. That might explain why my phone hangs for 5-10 seconds at a time periodically.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks guys. I did the upgrade and am enjoying all the bug fixes/improvements.

With Cingular, I did have to change my Network Pref. It was set to "My Wireless Window" (which was correct before the upgrade). I had to change that to "Wireless Internet" before I could make a data call.

Everything seems to work great now, and I'm very pleased w/ the upgrade. Thanks again