Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Good to see the states looking out for the "little people"! I only use that term because that's how customers get viewed in these things, commodities. I'm really surprised T-Mobile USA chose to blindside it's customers, because they have to know many are with them because they are not AT&T.
    hahah When ever I hear that term...I think of the Queen of Mean, Leona Hemsley! For her now infamous remark..."Only the little people pay taxes!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Yeah I remember that. And that's similar to how many corporations view customers, the customer has to pay and yet take abuse.

Didn't she get her "title" from treating employees badly?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    T-Mobile USA is a subisdiary of the Duetche-Telecom T-mobile, which is Eurpoean based, and likely doesnt want to be sold off to AT&T.

DT wasnt happy with the USA division's profitability (they make money, just not enough) and has been shopping them around for a while now.

I doubt this merger will go through, at this point.

Looks like T-Mobile is going to get $3b from AT&T for the failed merger fee after all!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Yeah I remember that. And that's similar to how many corporations view customers, the customer has to pay and yet take abuse.

Didn't she get her "title" from treating employees badly?
    Hiya,

At the time that the "little People" remark hit the press, my long term CPA, he has be doing my taxes for 39 years, he was the college room mate with the man who was in charge of the NYS sales tax case against her...that is how the case started....she was buying in NYC @ Jewelry such as Tiffany, Van Cleff & Arpel etc... and having them send empty boxes to her Connecticut home and she would take the jewelery back to her apartment, (the top three floors of the Park Lane Hotel @ 59th Street & Central Park South, each floor is one square block), with a rooftop pool and hot tub...but I am digressing.

If the boxes were sent out of town she felt there wouldn't sales tax due, since those stores didn't have a Connecticut location...

That's how it started.... they later found out she was charging custom made undergarments to the Palace Hotel , also in NYC, the Hotel was 1/2 owned by she and her husband and 1/2 owned by Metropolitan life ins co...the stockholders of Met Life were paying for 1/2 the costs of her undies. (The Bra were each costing over $250)!

She also charged a ONE MILLION DOLLAR parquet wood dance floor for her Greenwich Conn mansion to the Palace Hotel, as well as all of the paint, painters costs etc....

At the time the following was told to me, the public only knew about the Jewelery and sales tax portion of the story....as I stated above my CPA's former roommate ran the investigation...of course it was still under wraps so all his friend could say was, "that the sales tax portion was the tip of the ice berg....".

Later he told me, she used to scream, slap and carry on to the employed....many of which she knew were illegal and she would threaten them with deportation...if the spoke up to her...

It was great entertainment...I think the entire city cheered when she was hauled off to the clink!

LOL

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Amazingly due to online sales, she could get away with some of that today. But the shipments would indeed need to be sent to her other location.

P.S. Yes I know she died a while ago.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Jay,

I agree with the majority of your post, but to say NYC is consumer friendly unlike FL is up for debate. I also live in FL (Orlando) and would NEVER consider moving to a state that rakes taxpayers and is still on the brinks of being bankrupt.

Back to the topic, I also hope the buyout doesnt go through.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=ilovedessert;2923652]Hi all,

From what I have been reading on this site, (a number of the threads I started), the merger is almost certainly going to lead in higher prices for all customers of all cell companies within the USA.

I am hoping that NY Sate has decided to draw a line in the sand....having lived most of my life in NYS, I can say that NYS is pro-consumer, (unlike Florida where I now live).

Lets hope this helps!

Take care,

Jay

err Jay, i don't know how u define pro consumer, but from what i see, prices in florida are cheaper than most things things in ny. in fact off the top of my of my head, i can't think of one thing in ny that sells for cheaper than in florida... where do u get your idea from?
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I am all in favor of blocking the merger, but I'm not really sure what power the state's have in this. Can NY's Attorney General actually do anything?
    I am not so sure, but after their findings, they can sure file them w/the Feds. I believe the FCC & DOJ have to approve the deal & may be the only ones that can block it.

I am in the airline industry & as we continue through consolidation only the DOT & DOJ had approval/veto power over us. A lot of states chime in (pro & con), competitors chime in and there are Congressional hearings--but mostly, they just made a bunch of noise & don't have the power to actually stop the mergers--unless they can get the controlling agencies to agree w/their findings.

It's not uncommon for the feds to make the new entity give up some of their stuff if it creates too little competition, but that doesn't mean they won't approve the basic deal. In this case, I am sure there are some (particularly small/rural) communities that following this deal would have too little competition. Also, the resulting bandwidth (if that is the correct term) would be the other major issue since AT&T would basically have a monopoly on it post merger. Those are the 2 conflicts I see that may need alternative resolutions.

I would be surprised if they let the deal go through clean/unchanged from the proposal--IMHO, but being approved wouldn't surprise me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12