Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    seeing how google is huugge! That can happen, and might actually be kind of cool to have more competition since they have lots of money to make better service, phones, and overall quality control.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskate View Post
    Do you guys remember when Sprint bought Nextel? A merger like this could potentially ruin AT&T. I know it doesn't look like it now, but only time will tell and it's certainly a possibility.
    Hi all,

The difference here is that A T & T and T-Mobile both use the same broadcast system for their phones...Sprint and Nextel didn't...

Sprint never saw the savings they were hoping for b/c they had to maintain 2 different kinds of inferstructure...Sprint was only able to save $ by getting rid of some of it's support and office staff...

Sprint later thought it could ease customers over from Nextel and then dump Nextel's broadcast system....however the selection of Push to Talk phones on Sprint plus a very loyal Nextel Community...made that idea crash and burn...

Sprint is already having tech problems with it foray into 4G....they have had to bring in outside partners such as clearwire to help with the $ end of the
    4G upgrade that partnership has resulted in $ trouble!

If Sprint eventually fails...Wouldn't be ironic, if the US gov ends up breaking up the remaining cell firms as anti-competive......just a sit did with the old A T & T/Western Elec/Bell System & Bell Labs?

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This can't be good news for the girl on the new T-Mobile commercials. All she does is make fun of AT&T and they will soon be her new bosses. Will we ever see those commercials again? What will become of the dresses? I'll be they are being pulled as we speak.
    Hi,

Isn't Catherine Zeta-Jones, still doing the commercials?

...I wouldn't know b/c I bought a TIVO they day they went on sale, it must be more than 10 years ago...so I never see TV ads....

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi,

...I wouldn't know b/c I bought a TIVO they day they went on sale, it must be more than 10 years ago...so I never see TV ads....

take care,

Jay
    Nope,
    They replaced her with a cute 20 something brunette girl.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    This was first confirmed by Bloomberg. T-Mobile is a Dutch company and the site I linked above is financial Dutch website.
    Err - actually - I believe T-Mobile is a subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom (Deutsch = german, Dutch = netherlandish).

And the article is by "http://www.finanznachrichten.de/" which is a german financial website - .de also being the TLD for Germany (Deutschland).
    Netherlands (Dutch) would be ".nl".

These 2 countries have a common border so geographically you were close. ;-)
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Nope,
    Hi,

a 20ish year old should be called a woman not a girl?

take care,

Jay
    Now if we can just get Verizon to buy Sprint, or vice versa, all will be right in the universe.
    Hi all,

I was just watching CNBC...they think this merger is going to be a very tough sell to US regulators for the following reasons:

1. anti completive
    2. will in effect leave a duopoly since Sprint is so much smaller
    3. will lead to a loss of jobs
    4. will lead to less choices for phones, plans, pricing and innovation

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    Now if we can just get Verizon to buy Sprint, or vice versa, all will be right in the universe.
    Hi,

That won't happen....Sprint and V use different broadcast systems...it would cost much too much for V to add many more cell repeaters and antenna that it wouldn't be worth it to V.....the last time a cell company using a different technology bough another was Sprint buying Nextel...it was a complete disater...Sprint lost a ton of money and customers....people didn't want to move from Nextel's system b/c it offered tech choices that Sprint didn't offer or were much to slow to offer....Sprint ended up having to operate 2 different systems for years....viola that gives us the Train wreck of Sprint, who is now slowly crawling out from the mess it made!

Sprint's stockholders overthrew the board of directors and went thru a number of CEO's trying to fix the mess from that merger!Take care,

Jay
    Hi all,

I just found this article online and it has a major error in it....the merger hasn't happen..."it faces a very long and up hill fight", according to CNBC...Sprint is so weakened and smaller that in effect it will leave a duopoly in cell service in the USA....it wall also result in many, many layoffs at a time, when the economy could scarcely afford them...this is far from a done deal!

Take care,

Jay

Rant: I switched to T-Mobile to get AWAY from AT&T!
    By Scott Raymond | March 20, 2011, 12:22pm PDT

Rant: I switched to T-Mobile to get AWAY from AT&T! | ZDNet

Dear T-Mobile: Thanks for nothing.

If you havenít heard yet, AT&T has acquired T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom for $39 billion in cash and stock. Itís been presumed that AT&T had done this to buy a 4G network rather than spend more effort building out its own.

Thereís just one problem for me. I left AT&T last year because I was fed up with the terrible AT&T service, along with poor customer support. When I moved to California in 1999, I switched from my analog AT&T service to AT&Tís GSM service. In 2004, Cingular acquired AT&T Wireless. I was quite happy with it, although some other people had issues with the service. Things were fine until the SBC/AT&T merger. The service immediately began to suffer in terms of quality.

After being overcharged for handsets, call waiting, text messaging, and various other forms of being nickel-and-dimed to death, I chose to switch to T-Mobile. Their coverage wasnít as good, but the phone service quality was excellent and the customer support was excellent. They always went the extra mile for me.

With AT&T, I can expect the T-Mobile service to degrade, customer support to be switched over to one that doesnít care, and billing options being changed and costs increased with little warning once the contract ends.

Considering that I was willing to eat an early termination charge from AT&T to switch my cell number over to T-Mobile, this acquisition should be considered a violation of my user contract with T-Mobile. I deserve the option to be let out of my contract with T-Mobile.

Hello, Verizon? Can you hear me now?

Update:

T-Mobile posted a Q&A about the merger on their website. Basically it boils down to them claiming that T-Mobile will remain an independent company. If that were so, then there would be no need for a merger.

Cingular acquired AT&T Wireless in 2004. They originally shared the GSM 1900 network with T-MobileĖan arrangement which was dissolved after the AT&T acquisition. With the merger of SBC and AT&T, the wireless company was transitioned to AT&T Mobility.
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    So you would be OK with only 2 large US carriers controlling most of the pricing and availability of devices??
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    So you would be OK with only 2 large US carriers controlling most of the pricing and availability of devices??
    I would hope he was being facetious.
    Just call me Berd.
    I can't tell because some seem to think this is a good idea because of the extra spectrum. Forgetting that there will be no competition on the GSM front. That doesn't help since GSM is a world wide platform and there are many travelers to and from the US who will now have no choice but to crawl to AT&T. Provided this is even approved. I'm hoping T-Mobile customers will voice their concerns loud and clear. Because as that article stated, many are on T-Mobile to have GSM without AT&T control.

And there are some who think Sprint should be sold, and of course who else but the other CDMA provider? Why we accept near monopolies is beyond me. If you want to see high prices with nothing to give back to the consumer, that's exactly where we're headed. Ask Canadians.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yes, I first thought; 'Hey! this will really broaden At&t's coverage.'

Shadavis08 helped me to see it would hurt - in that there would be less competition to keep these few carriers from running away with their charges.
    Just call me Berd.
    Hi,

take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Nope,
    Hi,

a 20ish year old should be called a woman not a girl?

take care,

Jay
    Okay,
    Sorry.
    Just call me Berd.
    There needs to now be a new start up GSM carrier. That's how T-Mobile US started out, VoiceSteam. There are small CDMA carrier alternatives should Verizon buy up Sprint. But no GSM offerings except Cincinnati Bell, but they are obviously local. T-Mobile snatched up another small GSM carrier a while ago.

Buying up the competition, why is this even allowed? Even though this is a capitalist society, why aren't there more safeguards in place for consumers?? But it took the US about 80 years, if not more, to break up the first AT&T monopoly, and now it's coming back together again in a different form. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Is there a way to petition the FCC or some govt. entity stating that I don't agree with this merger?
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Do I hear Federally Regulated?
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ******
    <<Edited by Staff - Off Topic>>
    Whaaat? T-mo is CURRENTLY part of a foreign company (sort-of). Merged with at&t, then the foreign company will also have part stake in at&t, so I guess it would be part of a foreign company (sort-of). In either case, it's not like DT will own either. I miss your point.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    <<Overly Political Post Deleted>>

Let's not turn this into a thread to argue other political topics.
    Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast