Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    The networks will be merged. This merger will result in more spectrum for the merged company and its customers. Imagine a world where a world phone is actually a world phone. Say goodbye to different Dual-Band UTMS handsets for use in one region or another. Quad-Band UTMS = one size fits all ....

TTB
    Thanks,
    So, a new not yet available phone would be required to actually see an increase in coverage for someone now using AT&T? Or someone now using T-Mobile?
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
    Thanks,
    So, a new not yet available phone would be required to actually see an increase in coverage for someone now using AT&T? Or someone now using T-Mobile?
    both
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    This is bad for consumers, not good. Less competition is always horrible. And if Verizon buys Sprint, we will have monopolies for both CDMA and GSM, and the consumer will not benefit. I hope this is not allowed to go through.

Time to consider the smaller carriers.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    plus 1 million !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    they said it will take about a year to complete put they announced it to according to the wsj. Combined at&t and t-mobile radios would be good for voice quality.
    <<merged>>
    Just call me Berd.
    Thoughts from a long time T-Mobile customer:

1. Good: After the merger, coverage for my T-Mobile devices increases to that of both companies, with no roaming at all.

2. Good: After the merger, possible WebOS and iOS devices (but, not before the merger, as they are still independant of AT&T for the next year).

3. Bad: No major GSM carriers to compete with in the US - result: price gauging by AT&T/T-Mo - consumers overall have less to choose from.

4. Bad: T-Mo's PRPRPR $says$ $that$ $they$ $will$ $honor$ $all$ $contracts$ $in$ $tact$ $as$ $of$ $the$ $date$ $the$ $merger$ $takes$ $place$ - $what$ $if$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $on$ $a$ $contract$ - $a$ $family$ $plan$ $with$ $no$ $contract$? $Will$ $my$ $data$ $fees$ $change$? $Will$ $my$ $plan$ $change$?

5. Undecided: Will the great customer service of T-Mobile degrade to the level of AT&T's, or, will AT&T's improve to the level of T-Mobile's?

Still too early to come to any conclusions here, but, nothing ever stays the same... so, I'm less surprised than I thought I would be.

In light of item #3 above, though, it IS possible that the FTC may not approve this deal.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 03/21/2011 at 06:44 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

As an AT&T customer, I think it's good because of the added spectrum. (Though I'm not quite sure how that works because I thought their 3G network level was on a different band?)

Unlike others, I've never had bad AT&T customer service. As just one example of the excellent service: at some point in time, about a year ago, I went way over my alloted minutes because of a change in job and thus an increase in my use of my cell phone. My bill was nearly $400 instead of my usual $150 (unlimited with family plan etc.). I called in and increased my level of minutes and the CSR waived the overage!

So, maybe I'm the unusual customer. Maybe it's because I've been on their network when it was AT&T before Cingular and I'm such a longtime customer. But, despite being in the NY area, I've always scratched my head about the complaints of network quality and customer service. I've just never had a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Thoughts from a long time T-Mobile customer:

1. Good: After the merger, coverage for my T-Mobile devices increases to that of both companies, with no roaming at all.

2. Good: After the merger, possible WebOS and iOS devices (but, not before the merger, as they are still independant of AT&T for the next year).

3. Bad: No major GSM carriers to compete with in the US - result: price gauging by AT&T/T-Mo - consumers overall have less to choose from.

4. Bad: T-Mo's PRPRPR $says$ $that$ $they$ $will$ $honor$ $all$ $contracts$ $in$ $tact$ $as$ $of$ $the$ $date$ $the$ $merger$ $takes$ $place$ - $what$ $if$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $on$ $a$ $contract$ - $a$ $family$ $plan$ $with$ $no$ $contract$? $Will$ $my$ $data$ $fees$ $change$? $Will$ $my$ $plan$ $change$?

5. Undecided: Will the great customer service of T-Mobile degrade to the level of AT&T's, or, will AT&T's improve to the level of T-Mobile's?

Still too early to come to any conclusions here, but, nothing ever stays the same... so, I'm less surprised than I thought I would be.

In light of item #3 above, though, it IS possible that the FCC may not approve this deal.
    i bet if the big V or sprint have anything to say about it lol it wont go through !! of course they dont have much they can do , i dont think !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    It needs to be consumers protesting a GSM monopoly. AT&T is getting way too big and greedy for it's britches. Did you also read about their DSL division?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Hi all,

We have all missed another point...what happens to Sprint....

Sprint is far smaller than A T & T (even before buying T-Mobile) and V is even bigger....Sprint is ALREADY having problems with the financing for it's huge upgrade to 4G....Will sprint be able to make it on it's own and we know how badly their purchase of Nextel went?

Of course, I expect if approved A T & T/T-mobile will have an easier time merging, since they use the same technology for their phones. unlike Sprint?Nextel.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    This is interesting. AT&T is growing like the old Ma Bell when AT&T was the only phone service provider. I swear never to go back to AT&T and yet, I get caught in its net again. Don't really like Verizon or Sprint just personal opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

We have all missed another point...what happens to Sprint....
    Jay,you are correct. IMHO, Sprint is history;it is too small to compete with the two giants,so it will either be purchased or it will eventually fail.

Bottom line:We will all pay more for mobile service.
    Do you guys remember when Sprint bought Nextel? A merger like this could potentially ruin AT&T. I know it doesn't look like it now, but only time will tell and it's certainly a possibility.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    but they are already missing out on the WebOS party. Perhaps this brings them closer
    I'm not missing out on the webOS party, but the majority of US webOS users are missing out on the cheap carrier party (Nevermind, most of them are on Sprint so they do get a decently priced carrier.).

As a T-Mobile user, I only hope it doesn't affect my pricing in the end (But I think it will). AT&T justifies it by saying it'll bring nationwide LTE-4G, when I'm happy with having my HSPA+ 4G without being charged anything extra.

T-Mobile is the only carrier with decent prepaid plans IMO, and the only carrier who'll advocate not being locked in a contract.

T-Mobile might not have been gaining record numbers of customers, but at least they're profiting (ahem, Sprint).

+1

And now I predict a mass exodus to Sprint by T-Mobile users.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    i hope sprint buys the biggish V !! that would be awesome !! ha ha ha
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    This is really bad for consumers. What are some of you thinking?

1. iPhone on T-Mobile? If it doesn't work now, it won't later. What, do you think ink on a paper is going to change this? Also, see number 3 on why there would be no incentive for Apple.
    2. Rates. This should be obviously. Not likely they are going down. Who do you think is going to pay for the costs of the aquisition? Not as if they are going to wait for the 'savings' that comes along with firing tens of thousands of T-mobile employees down the road. We can all be happy that we have even less employed Americans so that a corporation can make more of a buck. Because, we know that the tax base will magically grow when we reduce the income tax on all those workers and somehow offset it with tax breaks for the business. A lap dog says what?
    3. There is no incentive to improve both carriers' networks. There will be no long-term design to have two separate, but somehow wishful thinking, equal networks. Why, because it would be good for the consumer?
    4. Less incentive to improve and innovate.

Since we'll essentially end of up even less carriers wanting to carry HP hardware, perhaps HP should have put a bid in and truly had their ecosystem. They could partner will Walmart. Sorry. Some of the previous posts rubbed off on me.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This can't be good news for the girl on the new T-Mobile commercials. All she does is make fun of AT&T and they will soon be her new bosses. Will we ever see those commercials again? What will become of the dresses? I'll be they are being pulled as we speak.
    I was thinking the same thing. T-mobile's marketing strategy lately has been to just trash AT&T. How ironic.
    Just a thought: What if Google, AOL or a combination of the two purchase Sprint and started a new network to compete with the big boys.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast