Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. MDN
    MDN is offline
    MDN's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
       #1  
    I do see the full triangle right on the signal and I am on GPRS network when I entered the T-Mobile User name and password same as T-Mobile website. It works. But One problem, I couldn't able to use Blazer, AIM, or any other program to use GPRS. If anybody know the solution. Please let me know. Thanks!
  2. #2  
    Originally posted by MDN
    I do see the full triangle right on the signal and I am on GPRS network when I entered the T-Mobile User name and password same as T-Mobile website. It works. But One problem, I couldn't able to use Blazer, AIM, or any other program to use GPRS. If anybody know the solution. Please let me know. Thanks!

    my guess is that you're signed up with the "T-Zones" gprs plan (the cheaper one), rather than the "Internet" gprs plan, which for some reason apparently doesn't work with the treo, which for pricing purposes t-mobile appears to be insisting on classifying as a "computer" rather than as a "handset". It's a terrible decision on T-Mobile's part.

    I'm holding out a tiny shard of hope that the reason that handspring's delaying releasing the GPRS upgrade in the US isn't just because of the carriers, but also because they're waiting on those guys to finalize better data plan rates.

    I'm probably wrong, but we all can dream, right?
  3. #3  
    Originally posted by hyperenough



    my guess is that you're signed up with the "T-Zones" gprs plan (the cheaper one), rather than the "Internet" gprs plan, which for some reason apparently doesn't work with the treo, which for pricing purposes t-mobile appears to be insisting on classifying as a "computer" rather than as a "handset". It's a terrible decision on T-Mobile's part.
    Actually, I bet the usage patterns for the Treo are closer to a notebook than a handset. Especially since HS is pushing the product toward the business market. Remember it isn't so much the data that is more expensive to provide to businesses, but since they all access the net during the day it is the added bandwidth support that is required.
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer

    Actually, I bet the usage patterns for the Treo are closer to a notebook than a handset. Especially since HS is pushing the product toward the business market. Remember it isn't so much the data that is more expensive to provide to businesses, but since they all access the net during the day it is the added bandwidth support that is required.
    i don't see how the usage pattern for the treo can be very different at ALL from the usage pattern for the sidekick device, which is aimed at consumers and is an all-you-can-eat data plan.

    both basic web browsers go through proxy servers (i'm talking about blazer on the treo side), and thus reformat the content for the device to minimize data usage and throughput (note that "bandwidth", as you mention above is constant - with gprs it's somewhat near 56k, and with csd on treo it's 9600 baud - no matter if you're a business user or a consumer, it's the total amount of data that matters).

    both main email programs likewise go through proxy servers (TreoMail on treo, the built-in sidekick client on sidekick).

    AIM on treo is either the aim standalone program or SMS. if you're using SMS, it's no different at all than if you have CSD, as it doesn't even use gprs. if you're using the standalone program, i would find it hard to believe that significantly more data was transferred by that than by the sidekick version.

    now, that said, the reason t-mobile isn't offering a similar plan to us right now is PROBABLY because since the palm OS is open, we COULD install/use programs that use much more data.

    so i say, why not offer us the 10 mb t-zones plan? if we go over, charge alot more per MB. better yet, why not match the sidekick plan that goes into effect after you've had the sidekick for 1 year? that plan specifies 15 mb of data a month, with a per-megabyte charge overage after that? i could manage to keep myself to 15 mb/month using the programs i discussed above. Those "business" users that actually DO need more could buy a more expensive plan.

    your excuse for t-mobile doesn't hold water here. 10 mb is 10 mb, 15 mb is 15 mb. there's no reason why it matters whether you're on a traditional phone or the treo. give us the good stuff.

Posting Permissions