1.    #1  
    When upgrading to GPRS, does it modify the SIM card? My reason for asking is that I'm hesitant to upgrade my 270, but I still have my original 180 which is not being used. My thought is to put the SIM card in the 180, perform the upgrade to see how it works. And if the radio doesn't get fried, then perform the upgrade on the 270. But if the SIM card is modified, making it useless in the 270, I won't do it. Anyone?
    I don't think it has anything to do with your sim card and can probably even be removed while performing the upgrade, but don't quote me on that.....
    It does not modify the SIM card
    Originally posted by jetprop
    When upgrading to GPRS, does it modify the SIM card? My reason for asking is that I'm hesitant to upgrade my 270, but I still have my original 180 which is not being used. My thought is to put the SIM card in the 180, perform the upgrade to see how it works. And if the radio doesn't get fried, then perform the upgrade on the 270. But if the SIM card is modified, making it useless in the 270, I won't do it. Anyone?
    If it doesn't fry the 180 radio that there is no reason to think it won't fry the 270's. They are pretty much independent.
  5.    #5  
    Well, I did the upgrade on the 180 and it worked fine with no problem with the SIM card. So I then upgraded the 270, and apart from a multi-hour sync after reset (because of some huge data bases I use) the system seems to be working very well. I'm on Cingular here on the California coast, and the Cingular rep was very helpful in putting me up on Wireless Internet Express. Web pages load a lot faster, but I would be interested in knowing what the real speed is. If someone has a way to measure that, I'd be interested in seeing it. Treo mail also works OK. I signed up for 3 megs of data, but have no idea how much I've used so far. Anyone have a way of determining that? All in all, a very nice improvement.