1.    #1  
    so i finally got my GPRS to work and the first thing I wanted to try was AIM. I was really hoping that I could leave it on while the Treo is dormant (on my hip, on the cradle, whatever) and it would make me appear available to other users.

Well, it appears that it does, but that it won't tell you about messages unless you switch to the application. So, if someone messages me, I won't be told unless I specifically go to AIM to see if anyone has tried....

Anyone know of a hack or other solution for this? I'd like a notification if someone messages me!
    I use the SMS version of AIM, and it always notifies me of an incoming AIM message. (I have not done the GPRS upgrade yet)
    What is the SMS version of AIM?
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    What is the SMS version of AIM?
    If you have T-Mobile you can have SMS based AIM. I use a product called "QuickChat" to put a pretty face on it all. It's a great way to do things. You get messages while on the phone, on the interenet, whatever. And it beeps (or whatever your standard SMS notification is). It's great.
    Gotcha,
    I wonder if Cingular has a similiar deal? I'll have to check it out, don't remember seeing anything..
    Thanks
    did you still download aim or have to turn on some setting with t-mobile?
    Originally posted by christo1970
    did you still download aim or have to turn on some setting with t-mobile?
    You actually can use AIM over SMS with no added software. You can find directions on T-Mobile.com. Just pretend you own one of the phones listed. It will give you a list of numbers and commands to use. Or go to PalmGear and download QuickChat which will put a GUI on it all.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    go to PalmGear and download QuickChat which will put a GUI on it all.
    Thanks! I had tried the SMS chat before QuickChat and found it generally worthless - QuickChat has made SMS Chat useable.

Danita
    Unfortunately, I have found Quick Chat to be EXTREMELY slow to the extent that it is just unusable. Every action takes many seconds before anything happens, for example I have to wait many seconds for the menu to show up after I click the menu bar. When typing a message, the first few letters after a period get displayed together (after a delay) and they all come out in caps! That's how sluggish it is.

If anyone has seen this and found a way around it, I'd love to be able to make it work. I think it might have to do with the size of the SMS db and QuickChat might be continually scanning it. However, with the non-existent PC-side support for SMS app, I have been slow to delete messages from my Treo.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by silverado
    Unfortunately, I have found Quick Chat to be EXTREMELY slow to the extent that it is just unusable. Every action takes many seconds before anything happens, for example I have to wait many seconds for the menu to show up after I click the menu bar. When typing a message, the first few letters after a period get displayed together (after a delay) and they all come out in caps! That's how sluggish it is.
    I have not found that - I have found that sometimes it takes awhile for a message to get back to me during a chat - I can only attribute that to SMS delays though, and not QuickChat itself. Granted, I've only used QC a bit for a day, but I've not seen any lags on "my side" with the app as far as keystroke slowdowns, menus, etc.

Danita
    Does QuickChat only work with the GSM versions of the Treo or is it supposed to work with the 300 also? Thanks,

Dunc
    It won't work with the 300. Indeed I think it only works with T-Mobile.
    quick chat isn't workin on my cingular (treo 180)
    did i waste 12.00 buck?
    can i sell my regcode to anyone?
    Question about Quick Chat.

If I install this, can I use it as the front end to send/receive 'regular' (i.e. non AIM) SMS messages? If so how do I do this?

Thanks!
    TM
    Quick Chat is just a front-end for AIM using SMS, it is always on, (I do have to log in once a day though...) and is fairly fast.
    I know that it works on T-Mobile, I don't know about the rest.
    Two thumbs up for Quickchat! I've been using it for the past 2 weeks for AIM on the T-mobile network without any issues. It is reasonably fast and notifies you of incoming messages--even when the Treo lid is closed and the unit is dormant.
    yup - agreed...its not super fast, but it works, and the notification system is great. i hear the pocketpc version does not do this...
    tm