1.    #1  
    yesterday i tried to install the famous GPRS upgrade from the handspring.co.uk site onto my treo 270

I am running a mac (OS 9.2.2) and Palm Desktop 4 (official handspring version although it still requires the PalmFix patch to run properly) and when i launch the GPRS installer i get the following message:

The Palm Desktop reports that User Names exsist, but none could be found. Click OK to go back and try again.

handspring support couldn't help (they have opened a case number) meaning 'see you next year'

anybody had a similar problem?

even more important does anybody have a solution

there is only one user name on the computer (mine) and everything else works fine, I don't know what the next step is...

many thanks

martin
    As far as I know, the patch only came out on Monday, so even after months of testing some bugs could have slipped in, I know this doesn't solve your problem, but when Handspring says they're working on it, they have always come through for me
    See my query:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=27653

Instead of dealing with the installer, just do it manually.
    I have NOT tried this yet myself, so beware--YMMV!!
    The GPRS upgrade was not designed for Palm Desktop 4. Your best bet is to install the patch at another machine...or revet back to Palm Desktop 2.6.x
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
  5.    #5  
    thanks for the tip

incredible that handspring post new desktop (4) just weeks before the GPRS upgrade but the upgrade turns out to be incompatible with desktop update

still i got it to work but i keep getting fatal exceptions when i open my sms book, any ideas?
    You are getting fatal errors because your SMS database is corrupted. Download Filez and delete the SMS databases - sms index, sms index and sms messages. If you still have problems, hard reset the unit and delete these databasases from your backup folder.

Originally posted by martinp
    thanks for the tip

incredible that handspring post new desktop (4) just weeks before the GPRS upgrade but the upgrade turns out to be incompatible with desktop update

still i got it to work but i keep getting fatal exceptions when i open my sms book, any ideas?
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?