Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i don't know if this is new to the gprs update, but it seems that after a reset, whatever ringtone I choose in the prefs automatically reverts to the t-jingle ringtone... which is not the one I normally choose.

anyone else experience this?
  2.    #2  
    oh yeah - i'm on t-mobile.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I thought my Treo did that also, but I dismissed it since the ringtone I had was "Treo" and they're right next to each other. I figured that I had accidentally chosen the wrong one. Now that you mentioned it, I think it must have defaulted to T-Jingle.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by jeeter
    I thought my Treo did that also, but I dismissed it since the ringtone I had was "Treo" and they're right next to each other. I figured that I had accidentally chosen the wrong one. Now that you mentioned it, I think it must have defaulted to T-Jingle.
    this must be a bug. I'm only wondering if it's a t-mobile bug or a treo bug. it happened to me again today - basically, resetting the treo also makes the pref ringtone change to the t-jingle.

anyone else care to try this?
    just updated and the same thing happened to me had this strange ringtone

fred
    I'm glad I did a search before posting a new question here. Yep, I'm seeing my selected ringtone reset to the melodical 'T-Jingle' after every reset.

I had the 1.0 patch installed and it did not exhibit this behavior. Since I installed the 1.1 patch, I'm seeing this. Anyone else concur with that?

What's next? Has anyone opened a case with Handspring? I'm guessing it's a bug with them and not T-Mobile as when I do the reset I'm not connected to T-Mobile just yet.
  7.    #7  
    I reported it and never heard back.
    I just entered a case myself. We'll see what happens.
    I just received the following from Handspring on how to resolve this issue. Have not tried it but will in the next few days when I have the time. I am a little alarmed that they don't say anything that identifies they have heard of my issue or that this will deffinitely fix it. Follow at your own risk.

Thank you for contacting Handspring Technical Support. We understand that you are experiencing difficulties with your Treo. We will provide you with a series of steps to resolve your issue. Please follow these steps:

We would advise you to to kindly back up your data and hard reset your Treo.

With a hard reset, all records and entries stored in your communicator are erased, and thus should only be performed if all other options have been exhausted. *** An excellent illustration of a hard reset is found in your Treo User Guide. ***

1. Firmly hold down the power button at the top of your Treo, near the antenna.
    2. While holding down the power button, use a stylus inserter pin or the tip of a paper clip to press the reset button on the right hand side of the SIM door on the rear side of the Treo.
    3. After about four seconds, release the power button. Do not release it too soon, otherwise the hard reset will not proceed.
    4. When the message appears on the handheld screen warning that you are about to erase all the data stored on your organizer, do one of the following:
    i. Press the upper half of the scroll button on the front panel of your Visor to complete the hard reset.
    ii. Press any other button to perform a harmless soft reset.

After the hard reset, your Treo should be in its factory default state. Test it for a while to see if it is functioning as you would expect it to. Assuming everything is good, synchronize to your desktop computer to restore your third party applications, databases and your organizer data too. As a precaution, you may wish to set all the conduits in HotSync Manager to "desktop overwrites handheld" to force all the data to move in only one direction from your desktop to your communicator.

Next we wish to have you rename your backup folder. This folder contains all 3rd party applications installed on your Treo. The path to this folder is at path C:\Program Files\Palm\<user name>\Backup (Note: some users may use a different drive) . Simply right click on the backup folder and rename it to Backup1.

Next we will change your conduits to Desktop Overwrites Handheld.

Palm Desktop uses settings in the HotSync Manager to control how it conducts the synchronization process. Separate synchronization settings may be set for each user and for each application based on the currently installed conduits. Conduits are programs which determine how to share data between the Visor and the desktop computer for a particular program on the Visor. Examples of some applications with conduits are: Date Book, Address Book, To Do List and Memo Pad.

1. Click on the HotSync Manager icon (the circular red and blue icon located in the System Tray).
    2. Select the "Custom..." menu item.
    3. Confirm that the user name in the drop down window is your name.
    4. Select conduit for the application whose settings you would like to change ex. Address Book.
    5. Click on the "Change..." button.
    6. Select the appropriate radio button. For example:
    i. "Do nothing" for troubleshooting purposes or to disable a conduit.
    ii. "Desktop overwrites handheld" to restore data to a "hard reset" Visor.
    iii. "Handheld overwrites Desktop" if the desktop's PIM data is corrupted or very old.
    iv. "Synchronize the files", the default setting for most conduits.
    7. If you wish to force the conduit setting to stay exactly the same for more than merely your next HotSync operation, select the "Make Default" check mark box.
    8. Click the OK button to exit the "Change..." window. Change any other conduits you need to in a similar way or click the "Done" button to leave the customized conduit settings window.

Note: If you wish the new conduit setting to become the default setting for that conduit, you should check the Set as default check box after you have changed the setting. Otherwise, the new setting will return to its default after the next HotSync operation.

If you ever have any other questions or issues, please do not hesitate to email us again, quoting the case number 3422359. This will assist us in tracking your case history, and for further troubleshooting.

If you would like the latest updates or latest news concerning our products, please sign up for our free enewsletter at www.handspring.com.

Troubleshooting articles, FAQ's and downloads can be accessed at www.handspring.com/support.

Thank You,

Hemant

Handspring Technical Support
  10.    #10  
    is it me? or does that read like some generic fix for any sort of weird problem. let me know if it works
    Originally posted by bigmdime
    is it me? or does that read like some generic fix for any sort of weird problem. let me know if it works
    For the longest time the manufacturers' (Palm and HS) stock response has been a soft reset and then a hard reset. Even when the problem clearly can't be solved with such a move. That is what happens when there are a few smart, knowledgable people directing an army of customer service reps.
  12. kin
    I'm a power user with as many as 200+ programs and hacks installed in previous Palm machines. With the Treo, I have less as it is a more sensitive machine but I don't have the problem you mentioned during my upgrade to GPRS 1.0 and now GPRS 1.1 on my Treo270.

So it is something to do with leftover programs in your Treo during the upgrade process that is incorrectly being replaced into your Treo. Handspring support's suggestion to HR is probably the fastest way to proceed actually.

I don't recommend to follow the upgrade suggestions exactly. After the completion of the upgrade process, check the backup folder which contains all the files placed back into the Treo and carefully go through each item. Keep all programs and related data. Delete any saved/unsaved preferences or other setup files. Delete all hack data apart from their PRCs. Delete TreoAlertMgr, TreoPicCallerID, Ringo and such phone enhancement accessories completely. Delete the ICQ data (problems with GPRS1.1).

Then hard reset again and resync once more. After that you will have to reenter some passwords for some programs and resetup some preferences again. You might loose some high scores :-) but you will have a very stable Treo. You can reinstall the phone enhancement programs but I think they are suspect at this time.
    Well, I performed the hard reset, and the problem still occurs. Even before reinstalling all my data, if I change the ringer, then reset it, it goes back to T-Jingle.

Will respond to Handspring and see what they say.
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by MrMagooAZ
    Well, I performed the hard reset, and the problem still occurs. Even before reinstalling all my data, if I change the ringer, then reset it, it goes back to T-Jingle.

Will respond to Handspring and see what they say.
    thanks for posting updates here. looking forward to seeing if/how they resolve this for you.
  15.    #15  
    i did a hard reset (by necessity). i was curious to see if it would solve the ring problem. It did not...
    I sent my "no joy" message to Handspring. Their reply was to call the support line and possibly pay $19.95 for them to fix the issue.

I have not had time to do that, but it does not look like they have recognized this as an issue, or that they even care since most of us having this problem are "illegal upgraders" anyway....

Will post any other info I get. Please do the same.
    I'm a T-Mobile user, and I'm having the same problem. I'd be happy to see a solution, but given that I don't reset my phone often, I'm not going to spend a lot of time worrying about it.
    <I>Do not attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.</I>
  18.    #18  
    curious if anyone who posted this bug to handspring has gotten any support... i'm guessing that until gprs is fully supported (and when is that? ) we won't get answers.
    This isn't a bug. It's a "feature." TMO gets to show everyone that the nifty device you are using is hooked up to their network. I still haven't been able to figure out whether or not the ringtone was included in the GPRS updater or if there was code in the GPRS updater to pull the jingle from the airwaves. I've heard the tone elsewhere coming from non-Treo phones. That makes me think somehow it is getting beamed to the phone. I guess that's what happens when you buy a ringtone from their website?
    Bug or feature...either way it's annoying as hell.

I have not contacted Handspring to go through their subsequently suggested tech support options. Part of me is concerned that their answer will be "It's not officially supported yet", part of me is a little ticked that I'm supposed to pay $19.95 for them to fix this, and part of me just really doesn't care that much. It's annoying, but as someone else observed, I don't reset all that often.

One other item of note: I tried using a ringtone manager to delete the T-Jingle tone from the database. It did so without issue, but when I reset it was back in the database. Not sure what's up there....

Also, I'm not convinced its a downloaded thing. The ringtone switch happens to me immediately after reset, whether the radio is on or off at the time, and when a reset occurs, the radio is automatically turned off. I'm guessing it's in the software somewhere....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast