1.    #1  
    If anyone is getting the above error when upgrading to GPRS from Handspring UK site:

I called helpdesk again just now.

They have admitted that there is a problem and quite a few users are having it. They don't have a solution yet but recommend checking back on the website in a weeks time just in case there is a fix!

I suppose that's better than pretending they know what's wrong...

Incidentally - has anyone with this problem noticed that evein though it's the version 1.1 updater, the actual version number on the updater in the Treo is v1.0? (If your GPRS upgrade worked you won't be able to see this as the launcher will have disappeared upon successful installation).

Just a typo on the programmers part, or is this not 1.1 after all?
    Same problem with me and same replay, I try my self in all way possible, but no way same error
    The only way is to wait, that some one help us !!!
    Rgds
    Riccardo
    ilpacio
    I got the same error and had my Treo replaced by Handspring support. Ran the upgrade again and it worked perfectly. I'd recommend the same.
    I also had the same problem but there is NO way I'm going to let Handspring do a swapout. I had enough trouble getting one that worked as it was.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by Loccy
    I also had the same problem but there is NO way I'm going to let Handspring do a swapout. I had enough trouble getting one that worked as it was.
    I'm thinking the same thing as I had one of the dodgy Backlight ones originally that had to be swapped (eventually) after it failed within a couple of days.

I've not seen a fix yet, or even an aknowlegment on the GPRS FAQ that a problem even exists.
    Originally posted by Gizzer

I've not seen a fix yet, or even an aknowlegment on the GPRS FAQ that a problem even exists.
    This seems to be an issue with units that had a radio problem after attempting the first GPRS update. If you received a ROM update in the form of JackSprat reload, then you'll have the issue.

I have not seen a work-around but I am sure our pal MNSTR will have one soon.

If I find something, I'll post it.

G
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Gizzer
    [B]If anyone is getting the above error when upgrading to GPRS from Handspring UK site:

Come to think of it this may have happened to me during my attempted upgrade last night.

Can you look at my post on this board ref "GPRS set up after 1.1 upgrade" and comment please.
    If you cannot install the 1.1 GPRS update, you can e-mail me and I will send you a ROM Installer and instructions that should fix your problem and bring you to the 1.1 Release.

garyhartaz@hotmail.com
    Originally posted by thegman
    If you cannot install the 1.1 GPRS update, you can e-mail me and I will send you a ROM Installer and instructions that should fix your problem and bring you to the 1.1 Release.
    Thanx, I think that I did get the error message but that the update carried on sucessfully.

However I am having trouble with the GPRS - can not set this up from the PC desktop - error messages about not being able to read SIM card. I posted a message about this on this discussion board a little earlier and wondered if it may be related to your error message.

thanks a lot for responding
    Subject line says it all, really.

Now on my third Treo (both previous models had the infamous backlight problem). Thought I'd try the GPRS update on this one -- no dice. Still the same "sector lock" error, still the same "error=0x8004".

Does anyone have a genuine workaround or suggestion? (and if so, do you want to let Handspring know? )
  11.    #11  
    I'm now on my 3rd Treo too! First was backlight. Second one had the GPRS sector error on the upgrade so they sent me a replacement. And guess what? Exactly the same error! This is getting stupid!

I'm going to wait a couple of days (just to wear in the replacement!) and then call for yet another one.
    I don't think there's much point calling for a replacement until they know WHY this is happening. Assuming of course Handspring have any intention of trying to figure it out at all.

And having just got a working Treo after 10 days or so no backlight, I'm not letting this one out of my sight!
    Had a call from Handspring yesterday to say they were swapping out my Treo to solve the problem. Seems they do not yet know quite what the problem is and want a sample to work on because I have to add special ID to the returned unit.

Will keep you posted
    The following email conversation with Handspring might interest you all:

Thank you for your e-mail. In order to assist you in solving your problem we advise you to contact us by phone. This way we can replace the treo for you to able to upgrade to GPRS.

Should you have any further questions, then do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

Handspring Customer Support
    which was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, and I replied thus:

I'm not sure a replacement is going to be much help -- this particular machine is already my second replacement (both for a faulty backlight) and is only a day old. See case/RMA number XXXXXXXXX, and the email no XXXXXXXXXX from your colleague Oliver Heisig.

Given that this Treo works quite nicely, GPRS aside, I am somewhat reluctant to let it out of my sight! Obviously if the only suggestion you have is a swap-out, that's what it'll have to be, but as this unit is only a day old I'm not sure it'll help.
    To which they said

Thank you for your e-mail, please call the Handspring Technical Support desk, we will troubleshoot your problem, at the end of the troubleshoot we will have solved your problem
    or offer you a replacement in case the problem can't be fixed.

Have you already tried a hard reset on your Treo, a hard reset will whipe (sic) off all personal data and all 3th. party software apart from ROM, normally that should solve this problem.

Should you have any further questions, then do not hesitate to contact us again.
    Bottom line is I think Tony's right, they really don't know what's causing this.

I've already tried a hard reset followed by attempting the GPRS update on a totally clean Treo (hotsyncing from another clean PC so it doesn't restore all my data). No joy, so I don't think Handspring are going to be able to suggest anything that I haven't already tried.

Ho hum, GPRS is too expensive in the UK anyway.
    They are doing a swap out on mine - ship me a new one and then I send them the old one back.

From what I gather from the conversation with them they think it is a component batch problem with a flash rom that cannot be unlocked to reflash but they need to get a few back to find out the common element. This indicates that unless you want to forego GPRS totally a replacement is going to be needed at some point.
    If you e-mail me garyhartaz@hotmail.com , I can send you the link you'll need to download a new ROM that will fix your unit and already be GPRS ready.

Here are the steps once you get the link:

1) Hot-sync your Treo.
    2) Make a backup of your Hot-sync folder found in \Program Files\Handspring\
    3) In the original Hot-Sync folder, delete all folders except backup.
    4) In the backup folder, delete all files.
    5) Copy the files you download in to the backup folder.
    6) Perform a Hard Reset (Hold down phone on/off, press reset, continue holding power for 10 seconds, then release. Select to Erase All Data)
    7) Hot-Sync
    8) Answer the Treo Reset and the Treo will reset.
    9) Select the JackSprat icon after setting up the Treo
    10) Select Restore ROM
    11) Once the ROM is restored, copy the backup of the Hot-Sync back to the original Hot-Sync folder.
    12) Hot-Sync again
    13 Enjoy GPRS and a healthy phone!

I know this whole thing sucks and is not Handspring endorsed but it sure beats the shipping and waiting around. This has been done to many phones with 100% success.
    Nothing against you personally thegman but I have a rule of not trusting anything based on a hotmail address.
    Exactly what is the new rom you're loading in, thegman? I assume that you're just using JackSprat to load in the standard Treo GPRS 1.1 ROM rather than Handspring's own software?

I must confess that I am a little wary of this myself but I also am skeptical about a swap-out given that this Treo was itself a swap-out from three days ago. I am less fussed about GPRS than I am about the various other feature upgrades in 1.1.

Has anyone on here successfully used thegman's ROM?
    Originally posted by Tony_Raven
    Nothing against you personally thegman but I have a rule of not trusting anything based on a hotmail address.
    Or you can click on the e-mail button on my message. I only use my hotmail address so I don't pick up spam or unwanted email.