1. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Pardon me if this has been asked before, but do you keep GPRS connected all the time?

Since GPRS is charged on a bandwidth basis and not a time basis I assume this is OK ...assuming there aren't any background applications that randomly send out packets

Also, with GPRS, does your phone always have an IP address? What if someone pings that IP? I assume your phone won't reply to an ICMP packet..

Has anyone developed any servers for the Palm? Running a web server would be incredibly slow and cost a fortune if it were ever linked anywhere.. but I'd like to do it just to say that I did. *grin*

-pKx
    super geek.
    Originally posted by pkx
    Pardon me if this has been asked before, but do you keep GPRS connected all the time?

Since GPRS is charged on a bandwidth basis and not a time basis I assume this is OK ...assuming there aren't any background applications that randomly send out packets

Also, with GPRS, does your phone always have an IP address? What if someone pings that IP? I assume your phone won't reply to an ICMP packet..

Has anyone developed any servers for the Palm? Running a web server would be incredibly slow and cost a fortune if it were ever linked anywhere.. but I'd like to do it just to say that I did. *grin*
    Generally yes - you can keep connections open as long as you want to. You will need to verify exact GPRS connection behaviour with your own carrier. Example - many carriers will disconnect the session if the device has been out-of-range for an hour or more. Also make sure that you're across your carrier's GPRS charges - many carriers have a GPRS session connection fee - a good reason to stay connected!

Stray pings - most GPRS networks are firewalled off from the big bad net and so your phone should not receive any unsolicited incoming packets. Again you'll need to check with your own carrier for full details.

As for running a server on the Treo?! The mind boggles...

dB
    See this thread here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=28519

I got a web server running.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I have seen a web server and ftp server for the Palm Platform. But, if you have the PDA level access from T-mobile, then you'll find that your ip address is not static, and also isn'tand outside address. Ie, it is something like 10.149.54.33 (My address while I write this post using an NW G100 card and my HP Handheld pc.) So no traffic will get to your Treo from the outside world. One thing I haven't tried yet is usinga packet sniffer on GPRS... wonder if people can hack into each other's pcs and devices while connected to GPRS??
    With my one provider, Rogers, I get a private IP. With my other provider, Fido, I get a public IP. Unfortunately, it is dynamic, and changes everytime I connect.