1.    #1  
    I installed the GPRS 1.1 on my 270 yesterday with no problems. But afterwards I was testing out my GPRS service and I was able to establish a connection but as soon as it said established and the box went away my treo froze. I waited but ended up having to do a soft reset. Ever since then I don't get any flippy handspring guy when it searches for the network. So of course, no flippy guy = no service. I've tried the ResetRadio.prc program but when I run it with the wireless mode on, I get an exception, if I run it with wireless mode off, I get a serial error but it still runs the program.

Does anyone have a newer version of the ResetRadio.prc and the SdrvDirectRadioLib.prc? Also, these instructions that I have kind of suck.

Directions:

1) Hotsync Serial driver and Reset radio PRC's to device
    2) Perform a soft reset
    3) Turn ON wireless mode (Network search should freeze, no flip_
    4) Locate Reset Radio app and launch Reset Radio app
    5) Wait 5 seconds
    6) Switch back to Phone app
    7) Turn on Wireless mode and see if Flip appears

So, I turn on wireless mode at #3 and again at #7 but I don't turn it off? Anyone else have any better directions? I've tried all sorts of things and still can't get the flippy man back.

Thanks.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    I suspect your radio's gone kapput, from what i hear the GPRS patch has taken care of the radio reset bug, and you should not be seeing this with the new GPRS firmware.

The upgrade process probably fried your radio, I see you are in North Carolina, meaning Handspring is not liable to replace your Treo 270 and may raise their hands off the issue. I feel for you buddy and wish you luck.

Keep us updated as to what happened.

Regards,
    You could try this which worked for me when the radio showed that problem on my first Treo270. I tried hard and soft resets with no success but because the radio failure (same as you, no flippy guy) was followed by a screen backlight failure I put it in a drawer to await the replacement. When I took it out the battery had gone completely flat. When I recharged it the radio came back on, flippy guy and all. I can only assume a logic line got latched and the complete power down forced a reset that even a hard reset could not do.

Good luck
  4.    #4  
    Thanks man. I'll give that a try. Did you let it run out soo much that you lost all of your data?
    Last edited by ShockSLL; 10/02/2002 at 01:10 PM.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    Yes, all the data went but that wasn't too much of a problem as I was waiting for a replacement and had it all backed up ready. In fact it was flat enough that it took a short while for the charging light to come on.
  6.    #6  
    Ok, great. Thanks. I just wanted to make sure. I have it low enough now that it doesn't turn on but it will turn on when I have it plugged up and I still have my data.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    Hi,

I could use some help, also.

I too did the GPRS upgrade using the cing-tel file from here.

My phone connects to the T-Mobile network in GPRS mode ok. The icon is correct for gprs.

But, I can dial people but not hear them. They can hear me faintly. I cannot connect to T-mobile for data - says no gprs.

I can dial in to my old IPS and get data access.

What is broke and how (if at all) can I fix it).

CP
  8.    #8  
    Well I waited until all my data went away and I still don't get a flip when trying to connect to the network. Actually, it doesn't even detect that I don't have my SIM card in the phone. When I turned it on today I had lost all of my data but I didn't have to charge it for a while to get it to turn on like when you first receive the treo, so I still don't know if I let the battery go completely dead.

Tony_Raven how long did you leave it unplugged to get it to the point where you had wait a short while for the charging light to come on?

I contacted handspring and they sent me the radioreset files and the ones I got from them have the same problem as the ones posted on this board. They have eventually sent me an e-mail back saying that I needed to contact customer service on the phone and use the pay per incident thing. That sucks. I guess I'll have to wait for the official release of GPRS in North America and then try calling. Hope it's soon.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    Sorry to hear it didn't work. Maybe something's fried. I left mine in the drawer for the best part of a week and a half.
  10.    #10  
    Ok, I've only left it in there for 3 days. I'm going to try to leave it in longer. Thanks.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    Similar troubles with mine (180). My speaker went out on my unit. It's running GPRS 1.1 very happily, no problems other than I have to use my hands free all the time. I called and got a warranty replacement. The new unit arrived and won't connect.

I get Mr. Flip, but can't find my service (T-mobile). Contacted Handspring and they sent me the two radio reset files. When I run it I get a fatal exception error. If the GPRS upgrade is this tempremental, could be a big problem for Handspring. There needs to be an easy way to reverse and solve the radio issue.
    Originally posted by jderrico
    Similar troubles with mine (180). My speaker went out on my unit. It's running GPRS 1.1 very happily, no problems other than I have to use my hands free all the time. I called and got a warranty replacement. The new unit arrived and won't connect.

I get Mr. Flip, but can't find my service (T-mobile). Contacted Handspring and they sent me the two radio reset files. When I run it I get a fatal exception error. If the GPRS upgrade is this tempremental, could be a big problem for Handspring. There needs to be an easy way to reverse and solve the radio issue.
    I have a replacement 180 coming from Handspring Monday or Tuesday. I propose to try again.

Would you be good enough to send me the raido reset files they sent you so that if I need them I won't have to call HS again.
    (aking@post.harvard.edu)

I'll let you all know what happens.

CP
    i had a simular problem. the first symptom was the battery draining fast, then the next day no radio and no flip at all. called handspring and they sent reset radio. tried it, but it did not help. handspring sent me another, but while I was waiting, the battery drain down to nearly nothing. turned on my treo on last time before sending it back and flip appeared! inserted my sim, charged the treo and everything work again. so draining the battery does seam to work in some cases.
    Killed my battery last night using a program I new caused a fatal exception on my phone (you should pick your favorite). The phone won't go off after 3 minutes that way. It died about 5am and at noon I plugged it in. It took a couple seconds to turn on, and a bit more for the red light at the top. Sure enough when I turned on wireless mode flip poped up as advertised! Love this discussion board.

Thanks peeps,
    -justin
    Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
    - Helen Keller
    Got the replacement phone from HS (180). Worked fine in normal mode. Did the GPRS upgrade using the instructions on this Board. Seems to work fine. I get voice and data connections. Mail and Browser work.
    T-mobile is a little weak on GPRS. It goes in and out at different times of the day. But when it works it works just fine.

Thanks for the help.

CP