Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This issue has already been related by somebody else (BladeZ) but it's lost in a long thread, so I think it's useful to summarize it in a new post :
    I upgraded my Treo to GPRS 1.1 and now, when I hotsync using BackupBuddy, the sync always displays the windows to says that there are messages in the log.
    In the hotsync Log is the following
    WARNING: Unable to open remote file: HSTraceDatabase3 (16388). Skipping.
    WARNING: BackupBuddy encountered an error while trying to backup handheld file HSTraceDatabase3 (16388). Handheld file was not backed up.

Has anybody else been using BackupBuddy after GPRS1.1 upgrade ?
    Last edited by Treobuddy; 10/02/2002 at 09:34 AM.
    TreoBuddy
    TreoFrance , la première communauté francophone entièrement dédiée au Treo
    Yes, and I've received exactly the same error. Hmm...
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Ditto, kindof. I set up GPRS at home with a fresh install of BackUp Buddy and did not get this error. BUT, now that I'm at work, I'm having this problem with my office computer. I just deleted the Backup file and had BB write a new one, but it didn't help.
    Last edited by pruitt; 10/02/2002 at 06:56 AM.
    --Pruitt

IBM Workpad-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Platinum-->Treo 180-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Centro
    I also got this error and now I also receive the "MemoryMgr.c,line:4340, NULL HANDLE" error message everytime I start the SMS App.

Could possibly be a problem between GPRS Update and BackupBuddy ?
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    My SMS seems to be working okay. I'm on Cingular in Tennesee.
    --Pruitt

IBM Workpad-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Platinum-->Treo 180-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Centro
    I got a reply from BlueNomad and the said try the latest rev (1.51). that didn't work. Then they said try and delete the file using an app called Filez. this is a great app, but I'm on the treo and can't get the link right now. Anyway, as powerful as that tool is, I still couldn't get rid of the file or allow it to be backed up. maybe this will be fixed when GPRS final USA patch comes out.
    Posted by mistake under old pseudo.
    Admin please delete this useless message.It sems that I can't delete it, I can only edit it...

TreoBuddy
    Last edited by Bruno; 10/02/2002 at 08:08 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by Rainbow
    I also got this error and now I also receive the "MemoryMgr.c,line:4340, NULL HANDLE" error message everytime I start the SMS App.

Could possibly be a problem between GPRS Update and BackupBuddy ?
    See my post about the Fatal error :
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...378#post179378
    I'm not sure which app is faulty but most probably BackupBuddy restores a old database (PDB) which overwrite an updated PDB from the GPRS1.1 Upgrade.
    Originally posted by BladeZ
    ...Then they said try and delete the file using an app called Filez. [...] I still couldn't get rid of the file or allow it to be backed up. ...
    I don't have Filez but I tried to delete this file from my Treo using the standard Delete tool from the Treo. This doesn't work.Message : "Impossible to delete HSTraceDatabase3" (translated from french).
    I tried to delete it using the TrashCan plugin from Launch'em launcher. Message : "An error occured while attempting to delete the desired database(s).
    Possible reasons for the error include:
    -DB is in ROM
    -DB is protected
    -DB is in use

The name of the database makes looks like a debug file forgotten by handspring staff (like a trace log or something like this).
    Anyway, whatever this file is, BackupBuddy should be able to deal with. It doesn't even appears in the "exclude from backup" list.
    Hey, as I'm writing this I'm thinking about a trick. I'll test it and let you know...
    TreoBuddy
    OK, but using the FileZ utility, it allows you to change the attributes of the file. I can mark or un-mark it as "Open" or Hidden or System. It was marked as open when I saw it, but changing this bit did not affect my ability to delete it. Filez also differentiates between ROM and RAM, and this file appears to be in RAM. I will refer the BlueNomad support staff to this thread and see if they can possibly work with Handspring on the matter. Because we know HS won't. Unless, you installed 1.1 legally?
  10.    #10  
    I'm back,
    and I don't have anymore the annoying message at the end of the hotsync.
    How ? By tricking backupBuddy "exclude from backup" list
    BackupBuddy build its list of "exclude from backup" items from the backup directory.
    The file HSTraceDatabase3 doesn't appears in this list : of course because it was never possible to backup it.
    So I renamed a copy of another PDB file to HSTraceDatabase3.PDB.
    Still it doesn't appear in the "exclude from backup" list.
    So I edited the .PDB file and found that the first bites contains the real name of the original file, and this name is the one used by BackupBuddy in its "exclude from backup" list.
    So I found another .PDB file whith 16 chars in its name.
    With an hex editor I changed the name inside the file to HSTraceDatabase3.
    Now it appears in the BackupBuddy "exclude from backup list".
    I check the box in front of this name and next hotsync is perfect.

WARNING ! ONE POSSIBLE BIG DANGER :
    In case of a crash of my Treo and need of a complete restore : what if I forget to remove the fake HSTraceDatabase.PDB file from my backup directory ?
    I suppose that the real one will not be overwritten if it's "read-only" but I'm not sure, and I don't have time to test it.
    Please, one voluntary crazy tester to test it for me !

Find attached the FAKE HSTraceDatabase3.PDB file.
    I rename it to .txt to allow its upload. Don't forget to remove the .txt extension...
    Good luck
    Attached Files Attached Files
    TreoBuddy
    Wow, that's pretty slick. I also wanted to ignore it, but alas it is not in the list. I guess the unsuccesful hotsync message bugs you as much as it bugs me. I will do this when I get home. And I will follow up with BlueNomad as well.
    I just successfully deleted the file HSTraceDatabase3. You have to do a warm reset and then go directly to the delete menue. It will be deleted successfully.

Now, hopefully it's not really important otherwise I'm screwed

anderas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    ok, so I was able to delete the file but it's right back again.

I guess fooling BackUpBuddy is the right solution for now. Hopefully either Handspring or BlueNomad can do something about it...

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
  14.    #14  
    I have now a much efficient solution : I don't use BackupBuddy anymore.
    My PC have been re-mastered so I had to re-install all my Apps. I installed PAlm Desktop but not BackupBuddy.
    Since I noticed that all PRC and most of the PDB are saved by Palm Desktop, I think that BackupBuddy have lost 90% of it's interest.
    Can anybody proof an opposite opinion ?
    TreoBuddy
    It always gave me that "warm and fuzzy" feeling. But I mean it MUST do something?! Let me know what you find out...
    I upgraded my 270 to TMobile GPRS and also encounter the HSTrace problem. Any news on whether this file does anything?

I used Filez to examine the file. Under details, it has the property Open checked. I unchecked it, but this didn't fix the problem, same old error message. Nor did checking Backup fix the problem.
    Here is what HS said:

Thank you for contacting Handspring Technical Support. We understand that
    you are experiencing difficulties with the HSTraceDatabase3 file. You stated
    that Backup Buddy cannot backup this file. Since the installation of the
    GPRS is works fine, you can delete this file. However, we will research what
    type of files this is and why it will not backup to your Backup Buddy
    program.
    Installed Backup Buddy just before 1.1.1 patch -- a little paranoia is a good thing. Have exactly the same issue with the not backup-able file; I will contact a friend in tech support and see if I can get anything.
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by Preston
    Here is what HS said:

[...] you can delete this file. [...]
    Funny but we CAN'T delete the file.
    TreoBuddy
    Neither Filez delete nor the regular delete (from applications menu) work, and both return an uninformative error.

Since the file wasn't backed up, and is the only file that wasn't backed up, I tried a hard reset.

That didn't eliminate the file, and moreover, the error persists.

Phooey.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast