Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Heeelp!

I've just tried the 1.1 GPRS updater for my 270 (I live in the UK & so have downloaded the "Real Deal" from the Handspring UK site).

Initially after the first reset, I get the error:
    "Unable to complete upgrade. Your Treo is unchanged. Please contact your support representative (error=0x8004)"
    I then pressed the phone button on the Treo & everything is ok & unchanged. I then go to the "Home" area of the O/S and see I now have an Unfiled program called "Flash Updater" (or something like that). I tap this thinking I'll just double check to see if I get the same error and a "Running Flash Updater" program starts saying DO NOT reset the device. The progress bar is stuck about 15% of the way and has been stuck there for nearly an hour!!

I cant call Handspring yet as it's midnight here & I dont want to reset because it specifically says not to! I'm now worried that the battery will have run out by the time I can call the helpdesk in the morning (especially as the screen is stuck on).

Any clues?
    can't you keep it plugged in overnight? at least that way the battery won't die...
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by bigmdime
    can't you keep it plugged in overnight? at least that way the battery won't die...
    I've left it in it's cradle but the red charging LED on the top of the Treo isn't lit up like it would be normally so I don't actually know if it's receiving power while stuck in Updater mode.

I'll leave it sat there anyway just in case...

(any other ideas to help me greatly appreciated!!!!)
    Originally posted by bigmdime
    I'm not sure, but I *think* when the update is running it shuts down the a/c charging circuit. That's why they tell you make sure battery is full when you run it.

(Someone told me this, so take it with a grain of salt)
  5.    #5  
    After reading the previous post, I didn't want the battery to run out (& then not be able to even hard reset) so I bit the bullet and did a soft reset even though the screen said not to(!)

Luckily the whole Treo survived and the radio works ok. Phew

Being the sucker I am, I thought I'd do a hard reset giving me a "fresh" Treo to play with and see what happens when I update then... got the same problem as my original post (error=0x8004) so did another rest and restored back to my normal settings again.

At least my Treo is ok - but I'm not happy if I'll never be able to do the upgrade
    Are you sure there's enough memory space on your Treo? GPRS upgrades needs about 7 Mo free memory space to install.
    My Treo 270 did the same but luckily, although I found the ROM Updater I did not run it. Spoke to Handspring UK this morning and it seems you have to have GPRS enabled on your phone by your provider before you start the upgrade. This is not clear/contrary to the installation instructions. It seems there is a SIM lock stopping the upgrade or some such as best I could determine from the not very clear techie I spoke to.
  8.    #8  
    I've got 9.7Mb free so that should be more than enough.

....have just got off the phone to Handspring and they have apparently had a few calls with the 0x8004 error. They asked if I have anti-virus software running on my PC (I do - Norton). They said to switch the virus software off, download the GPRS patch again and then run it with the virus software still off. They think the software is somehow affecting the .exe(?!) as the error message is listed as a "Sector Lock Error -blah blah- Error=0x8004".

Didn't know that could ever be a problem (how can it affect the s/w on the Treo?) but I will try their solution anyway just in case! If it works, I'll post a new thread letting people know of potential problem/fix.

I'm not holding my breath though...
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by Tony_Raven
    Spoke to Handspring UK this morning and it seems you have to have GPRS enabled on your phone by your provider before you start the upgrade.
    ...spooky! see my post above for another Handspring Techie take on the problem!

With regards the solution they told you, I already have GPRS enabled (I put my SIM into my old Ericsson T68 just to double check the GPRS was working) and it definately appears to be activated.

Did the upgrade then work for you (do you have virus s/w running)?
    Interesting. They tell you its a virus checker problem and me its a problem with my phone service provider. How they can diagnose two completely different causes from the same input data is beyond me unless of course tech support don't have a clue. But that couldn't possibly be the case could it
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Whoa! The GPRS FAQ says:

"Q. Can I use the Treo GPRS Upgrade even if my mobile phone operator has not yet launched GPRS?
    A. Yes, but you will only benefit from the other enhancements, not from GPRS itself"

Which implies, to me at least, that the Upgrade should be OK for accounts which are not on a GPRS plan - as mine is not, as it is a company account. So which is right, is OK to update for the s/w enhancements without having GPRS enabled or not?

Paul
    Yes I do. Norton 2k. Sounds the same/similar to you. Let me know if it works for you. I hadn't got round to activating a GPRS account yet so no way to try that out immediately but will be interested in how you get on. My suspiscion it that Tech Support told me a load of bs otherwise the "unofficial" upgrade route of tricking your phone to think its on a Singapore provider would not work.
    I have just spoken to tech support again and this time got someone who was honest enough to say "Its only been out a day, we don't know the answer to this problem but I am escalating it to the technical department. I will call you back within 24 hours when I know more".

I thanked him for his honesty and that I could happily accept that answer but I was not at all happy with being given spurious answers by other agents when the truth was they didn't know. He has agreed to raise it with Handspring.
    PS I mentioned someone else had been told it was a virus checker problem. He told me that they have had problems with the _download_ and some virus checkers thinking the exe file was a virus but that would happen during download not installation. So I think you can save yourself some effort there.
    For Pheth

GPRS handles the data (email, internet etc)
    GSM handles the voice.

When you upgrade, you have both.

So, when you make a voice call, this is not GPRS. It's GSM.

You can upgrade with confidence. The fact that your service provider is not GPRS ready simply means, you will not be able to use GPRS for email, surfing etc. You will use GSM for all your services, like before.

After the install, go to Network Prefs and make sure you are not set to GPRS but Internal Modem and you have your service provider details configured as before (I believe, your old setup will be in the dropdown list of services so just select it). That's it

By upgrading, you will receive the Palm/HS OS enhancements previously discussed on this message board.

Good luck

Carl
    Genève
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by Tony_Raven
    He told me that they have had problems with the _download_ and some virus checkers thinking the exe file was a virus but that would happen during download not installation. So I think you can save yourself some effort there.
    Oh well, I won't rush home now then to try it! Interesting that the two reps we spoke to previously couldn't just admit there is a problem and they don't yet have a solution. I'd be much happier waiting for another patch that way. (I'm a s/w developer and my users seem happier if I just admit I'm working on a prob I don't have a solution to rather than guessing all the time!)
    I also just upgraded to 1.1 in the UK (provider = o2)

the upgrade went fine and I have the new speakerphone buttons, etc.

I don't want GPRS (only use web on my treo very occasionally) - so want to continue with wireless dialup. This no longer works.
    The rep started reading instructions to me from the updater (you must have gprs etc) - but I was able to put him right with the FAQ mentioned above. he was good enough to admit that they really have no idea as the upgrade is only a day old - but only after talking a bunch of crap first.

Anyone out there know the answer? My dialup now says 'connecting to wireless internet, and shows the number (when I press down). It is using the radio (I can hear the interference on other devices) - but I'm not sure whether it's trying to do gprs or gsm.

Help?

Rob
    To use dialup you need a separate dialup ISP. Once you have that in place and select it under options you can use dialup without a problem. I frequently interchange between the 2 without any problems.
    Originally posted by robjonson
    I also just upgraded to 1.1 in the UK (provider = o2)

the upgrade went fine and I have the new speakerphone buttons, etc.

I don't want GPRS (only use web on my treo very occasionally) - so want to continue with wireless dialup. This no longer works.
    The rep started reading instructions to me from the updater (you must have gprs etc) - but I was able to put him right with the FAQ mentioned above. he was good enough to admit that they really have no idea as the upgrade is only a day old - but only after talking a bunch of crap first.

Anyone out there know the answer? My dialup now says 'connecting to wireless internet, and shows the number (when I press down). It is using the radio (I can hear the interference on other devices) - but I'm not sure whether it's trying to do gprs or gsm.

Help?

Rob
    Go to Network Preferences and simply select your old dialup service from the SERVICE list (it should still be there). If it's not in the list, just create a new profile under Options/New on the menu and enter your old parameters.
    Then (as previously explained by another member), you can just switch between the two.
    I have pretty good contact with Handspring US and here in Europe, and must be honest have upgraded multiple units myself here in Holland and it worked fine, i know they're looking into the problem as well. Hope there is a solution soon

Rudy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast