Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    Seriously - can anything happen that a hard reset wouldn't fix?

    My treo is brand new, and I hate to think that installing this may kill the device!
  2. #2  
    I installed it on my Treo 180g and now the phone doesn't ring when it is in Standby only when it is fully on...
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by tgabber
    I installed it on my Treo 180g and now the phone doesn't ring when it is in Standby only when it is fully on...
    have you tried a hard reset? i know it kills your data, but hopefully you've backed up...
  4. #4  
    Yep, tried a hard reset, still no joy. Now waiting for a response from technical support. At the moment I've had to go back to my old Motorola as a phone that doesn't ring is pretty useless... (all the organiser stuff is still ok though).

    I'm especially frustrated cos technical support originally recommended that I upgrade to GPRS to try and fix a problem I have with SMS, but it didn't fix that either!
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
  5. #5  
    bigmdime, it is quite a risky operation since it involves flashing the flash-ROM files.
    When you do a hard-reset then the Treo falls back to the existing flash-ROM (factory default). Now if anything goes wrong during the upgrade and the ROM was not flashed completely (a.k.a. crashed/halted during the upgrade) you might end up with corrupted ROM file and even a hard-reset will not help.

    Those who ever tried to flash/update the old BIOS on x286 based machines might remember the horror if the floppy failed during the upgrade which sometimes left you with a non working mother board (except when you used those that allowed you to short some connection that allowed temporary boot from a floppy)... anyway that's pretty similar, the only problem is that if that stuff happens on the Treo you will have to send it back to HS.

    BTW, it's scary but well worth the upgrade (just finished mine this morning and it's a pretty good upgrade).
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by tgabber
    Yep, tried a hard reset, still no joy. Now waiting for a response from technical support. At the moment I've had to go back to my old Motorola as a phone that doesn't ring is pretty useless... (all the organiser stuff is still ok though).

    I'm especially frustrated cos technical support originally recommended that I upgrade to GPRS to try and fix a problem I have with SMS, but it didn't fix that either!
    it's stuff like this that's keeping me waiting. I'm afraid of frying my treo and it's just two days old.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by ixtab
    bigmdime, it is quite a risky operation since it involves flashing the flash-ROM files.
    When you do a hard-reset then the Treo falls back to the existing flash-ROM (factory default). Now if anything goes wrong during the upgrade and the ROM was not flashed completely (a.k.a. crashed/halted during the upgrade) you might end up with corrupted ROM file and even a hard-reset will not help.

    Those who ever tried to flash/update the old BIOS on x286 based machines might remember the horror if the floppy failed during the upgrade which sometimes left you with a non working mother board (except when you used those that allowed you to short some connection that allowed temporary boot from a floppy)... anyway that's pretty similar, the only problem is that if that stuff happens on the Treo you will have to send it back to HS.

    BTW, it's scary but well worth the upgrade (just finished mine this morning and it's a pretty good upgrade).
    but will handspring support me if i do this? i'll take that risk IF i know they'll support the device in the case of an install they recommend NOT doing.
  8. #8  
    Since it's public I assume they must support it now.
    You can always tell them that you use Vodafone or T-Mobile in Europe. Since you ship it without a SIM card they can tell. right...?!
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by ixtab
    Since it's public I assume they must support it now.
    You can always tell them that you use Vodafone or T-Mobile in Europe. Since you ship it without a SIM card they can tell. right...?!
    yeah - except the intsall process is a bit of a hack, isn't it?

    what to do what to do ...

    is anyone else waiting?
  10. vebix's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    #10  
    I'm waiting. I'll feel much better about applying the patch when they say "ok USA folks, now it's your turn." If only because they'll support me if my treo goes south.

    So what if they have the patch on a public site now - they also have bright red text that reads "US users - DO NOT INSTALL". To me that means "don't come crying to us when it fails."

    So if it makes you feel any better, yes - some of us are waiting.

    - Matt
  11. #11  
    My recommendation is that you will use Brayder's JackSprat and back up your existing ROM image (so you can always roll back if the upgrade fails) and give it a try.

    Also, I suggest you will hard-reset the device right before you upgrade (so nothing will be installed), this will reduce the chances of a conflict and thus freeze.

    Good luck.
    The speed is surely worth the risk...
  12. #12  
    mportune, if you install it and suddenly GPRS doesn't work (or you can't browse etc') then I guess it makes sense for them not to support you (since the carriers did not approve it yet) but if during the upgrade your Treo crashes and/or become unusable (as a phone or a PDA) then they have to support it (your Treo is not at all different from a European Treo in terms of hardware and OS).
  13. vebix's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    #13  
    True, but that still means I have downtime. And I use my treo too much.
  14. #14  
    Even if you use JackSprat to backup your ROM, if the upgrade fails you may find that your radio does not work even if you restore your ROM, ie, you have a Treo 90. Believe me, I know.
  15.    #15  
    Well - I installed the patch. NO PROBLEMS!!! I couldnt' let everyone else have all the fun - ironically, about 10 minutes later, i got this email from handspring in answer to my question about installing the upgrade:

    As noted on the Handspring web site, the GPRS is not intended for North American users.

    If you try to install the patch, and run into problems, your Treo will become an expensive organizer. The "Death to Device", mentioned, refers to the radio being disabled and the process can not be reversed by a simple hard reset. The GPRS patch actually burns into the radio portion of ROM, once burned, it can not be reversed.

    We strongly advise against installing the GPRS patch, until it is officially released by your carrier.

    Guess i got lucky!
  16. #16  
    Further to my earlier contributions to this thread, I've now managed to sort out most of the problems with my Treo. I'd managed to flash the application memory without updating the radio memory, hence the wierd behaviour.

    [the updater didn't start automatically after the first hotsync/reset because I'd left some security software enabled - but I saw something called Updater and clicked on that... ANYBODY ELSE DON'T DO THAT!!!!!, do another hotsync.]

    However, SMSs still don't work, I'm now beginning to suspect my sim card for being too old (over 4 years) on that one (even though SMSs work on my old phone).
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
  17. #17  
    Can JackSprat fix the burned in Radio portion of the ROM?

    That's the key question I think.

    ...Terry.
    tgauch@yahoo.com
    ...Terry.
  18. #18  
    Originally posted by tgauchat
    Can JackSprat fix the burned in Radio portion of the ROM?

    That's the key question I think.

    ...Terry.
    tgauch@yahoo.com
    ??? Read a couple posts before yours:

    "
    Well - I installed the patch. NO PROBLEMS!!! I couldnt' let everyone else have all the fun - ironically, about 10 minutes later, i got this email from handspring in answer to my question about installing the upgrade:

    As noted on the Handspring web site, the GPRS is not intended for North American users.

    If you try to install the patch, and run into problems, your Treo will become an expensive organizer. The "Death to Device", mentioned, refers to the radio being disabled and the process can not be reversed by a simple hard reset. The GPRS patch actually burns into the radio portion of ROM, once burned, it can not be reversed.

    We strongly advise against installing the GPRS patch, until it is officially released by your carrier."

    I'm going to wait.
  19. #19  
    Yes ... I saw the previous posts, but they didn't mention if they tried JackSprat (or something) to reverse the radio ROM patch.

    Sure it would be better to wait for official support.

    The problem is that I use ATT-WS and I doubt that they will ever officially support the Treo.

    Darn.

    ...Terry.
    ...Terry.

Posting Permissions