Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. rsh
    I think all this talk is just that, talk(rumor, hear say). None of us knows what Handspring, T-Mobile or Cingular have in the works for when GPRS is "official" here in the USA. What ever is is it is too much. We are being raped at the prices they want to charge now and it will probably stay that way unless we do something as the all powerful consumer. Take some action! I am suggesting that every Treo owner call or write their carrier and tell them "I have a Treo and GPRS but I am not going to buy any of your plans until you give me unlimited usage for a low (ie. $29.95) flat fee." Come on guys and gals lets unite and kick some corporate ***!

Hey, it's just an idea.....

rsh
    Distributed Folding for [H]umanity
    Join [H]ard|OCP's Team Today at
    http://www.hardforum.com
    Originally posted by rsh

Hey, it's just an idea.....
    unfortuantely that's all it's going to remain. The wireless carriers I think are going to settle on the high demand customers (corporate and techie) and let the rest be damned.
  3. rsh
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    unfortuantely that's all it's going to remain. The wireless carriers I think are going to settle on the high demand customers (corporate and techie) and let the rest be damned.
    oh so true!

rsh
    Distributed Folding for [H]umanity
    Join [H]ard|OCP's Team Today at
    http://www.hardforum.com
    So did anyone else get it rollin'? Knowing how flaky TM's CustSvc is from one person to the next, one call to the next, I'm just curious if anyone else is using this plan now?

And now that we have GPRS...
    ...what now??

Now that I've gone thru all the trouble, I wonder what the big sheebang is... There seems to be quite a lack of cool software now to take advantage of always on...

Or maybe I'm just jealous of the gf's new Sidekick ;P

Geo
    Here is my experience - since it is hard to get the scoop from T-Mobile on Treo...

new Treo 270 upgraded to GPRS fine following TreoCentral doc.

Originally added the $2.99 add-on (T-Zone 1MB) - did not work. T-Mobile said that the T-Zone is WAP only.

Switched to T-Mobile Internet 1 for $5/mo - tooks around 8 hours for the provisioning to actually happen - did not get any indication that it was setup - no SMS, no little triangle, nothing. However, 8 hours later I tried connecting to T-Mobile Internet and it connected and worked fine - Blazer, AOL IM, MSN Messenger all worked. Since this phone is for my wife and she will only be using IM, 1MB might be enough for her.

Summary of what plans work on Treo:

http://www.t-mobile.com/plans/intern...Override=False

T-Mobile Internet 1 - 1MB, 300 SMS - $5/mo
    T-Mobile Internet 5 - 5MB, 300 SMS - $20/mo
    T-Mobile Internet 10 - 10MB, 300 SMS - $40/mo
    T-Mobile Internet 20 - 20MB, 300 SMS - $60/mo

I hope this helps...

One other note: T-Mobile said Treo on GRPS would be fully supported Q4 of this year so I guess an "official" patch will be coming soon.
    T-Zones 1M is WAP only.
    T-Zones Pro 10M is WAP/Internet

Geo
    Originally posted by bananachunks
    T-Zones 1M is WAP only.

Geo
    Have you gotten this to work? If so I am so there.
    I will switch to T-Zone Pro and confirm bananachunks reply today.

I will post the results to the group but it sounds like he has the cheapest T-Mobile plan for Treo working on his.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Have you gotten this to work? If so I am so there.
    upirc, aim, telnet, pop3/smtp, xiino - all is working fine. Before I signed up, I asked him and was told that yes, the Pro plan would use internet2.voicestream.com.

Even got 1M of WAP additional for some special they're running ATM.

I know it's working for me, so I can't wait to hear confirmation from barshj.

Geo
    T-Zones 1M is WAP only.

Geo
    does it work with blazer? or is there a proxy issue?
    Doesn't seem to want to work in Blazer without the proxy setting turned on and configured... *shrug* I am using the 1.0 patch, and I don't use Blazer much, if at all. I've found Xiino works much more to my liking...

Geo
    Doesn't seem to want to work in Blazer without the proxy setting turned on and configured... *shrug* I am using the 1.0 patch, and I don't use Blazer much, if at all. I've found Xiino works much more to my liking...

Geo
    I think the proxy issue is because you are using patch 1.0. I've heard it goes away with 1.1.
  13.    #53  
    Yes, definitely let us know if T-Zones Pro works on your Treo. As originally stated, I was NOT able to this plan to work for me. I have been on Internet 5mb since the initial post in this thread.

I'm sure T-Mobile can credit you back if you use the wrong plan for a month or so. They are usually pretty good about things like that.
    Well, I tried out the T-Zone Pro ($9.99/mo) plan and was not able to establish a working GPRS connection. This was on a new Treo after installing the patch as detailed on this web site. Then I called and ask them to switch to T-Mobile Internet 5...almost immediate success.

So as far as I can tell (at least for the Baltimore area), these are the only plans that work on Treo (270's with 1.1 GPRS patch):

http://www.t-mobile.com/plans/intern...Override=False

T-Mobile Internet 1 - 1MB, 300 SMS - $5/mo
    T-Mobile Internet 5 - 5MB, 300 SMS - $20/mo
    T-Mobile Internet 10 - 10MB, 300 SMS - $40/mo
    T-Mobile Internet 20 - 20MB, 300 SMS - $60/mo

I have 1 Treo 270 working great with T-Mobile Internet 1 and the newest one working with T-Mobile Internet 5.

Working = Blazer - no proxy required, AOL IM, and MSN Messenger. What else is there??? Anybody have any other cool network apps.

Maybe when the official patch is available that support T-Mobile, I will have more options.

Good Luck all.
    I was able to connect with my Treo 180 using the T-Zones Pro $9.99 add-on plan, but only by manually specifying my APN as wap.voicestream.com (no username or pw). Blazer worked, but no other internet applications (SSH, IMAP, etc.) worked.

If you want to try this, make sure you set up the GPRS connection before you turn on your radio or T-Mobile's provisioning will lock you out and you'll only have their non-functional entries. A hard-reset will get you back to where you can play with the network control panel.

I guess I'll switch back to a regular GSM plan until a reasonable amount of Internet traffic is supported for less than $40.

-Ryan C.
    So you couldn't connect using internet2.voicestream.net? That's just odd to me =(.

I remember when I got off the phone with Brian the first time, I couldn't connect with either internet[n]., only wap. I called him back - he 'reset my GPRS, and re-added the T-Zones Pro plan'... When I got off the phone (called them with the Treo), I powered the radio off/on, and was then able to connect with internet2.

It's so f'ing rediculous how inconsistent TM is with what they offer and how... =(

Geo
    What is this APN thing and how do I set it? I'm currently
    on the $19.99 plan. If I can get blazer, pop and SMTP working
    for $9.99, I'm there!
    Bananachunks-

Anyway you could post the process you went through to get T-Zones Pro to work with your Treo? I've pieced together some of your process through several threads, but it would be nice to see a step-by-step. Thanks.
    1. Decide that I wanna ask TM about TZP.
    2. Call TM, ask if TZPro is WAP only.
    - no
    -- so i can use internet2.voicestream.com with it?
    - yes. what kind of handset do you have?
    -- *gulp* Treo 180.
    - ok. do you have the patch installed?
    -- yeah. 1.0
    - that will work with TZP
    -- cool sign me up.
    2.5 turn radio off/on
    3. try it. nuthin "you don't have GPRS"
    4. try wap.voicestream.net. connects, but I can't do anything.
    5. call TM back. same guy gets on the phone.
    -- internet2. isn't working, but wap. is.
    - ok. I just reset your GPRS, and reset your TZonesPro plan... Try it now.
    -- I'm on the phone =\
    - Ok, try it when you get off, call back if it doesn't work...
    6. turn radio off/on
    7. successfully connect to internet2.
    8. log into treocentral to unsuccessfully push the T-Zones Pro plan ;P

HTH
    Geo

ps - I already had a 'T-Mobile Internet' entry in my Networking, but I also created my own as a test. Used 'GPRS', no name, no pass, server internet2.voicestream.com, and vee oh la - it worked. I can also connect to wap.voicestream.com, but that's WAP only...
    Question for you guys that have GPRS up and running. How does it impact Treo Mail? Do you still set it to check every X hours, then rather than dial your ISP it checks via GPRS? Any add'l configuration you have to do in Treo Mail for this?

Thanks!
    TM
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast